Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
1982CorvetteDude
CF Senior Member

Default Installing a wood fence using exising chain link posts...is it possible?

I'm wanting install a wood privacy fence to give myself a more private area when working out in my back yard and car.

I have a chain link fence already, and I do know one side and the back is mine...but unsure about the other.

I really don't want to install the fence inside of the chain link so I'm def going to remove the sides that are mine.

My question is....I want to try and use the existing chain link posts and somehow attach the wood fence posts to this. They are pretty sturdy and cemented in the ground.

Does anyone know of a special wood post that is hollowed out and slide over a galvanized steel post? Or something designed for a chain link to wood conversion?

Another option would be to make wood "sleeves" to slide snugly over the posts out of 1 x 4's or something. But that will be time consuming and a last resort.

Any options out there?
1982CorvetteDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/

Only guessing here, as the possibilities are many!

Why not take cross pieces between the chain link posts and put wood, either slates or panels on them. You can use U bolts to hold the cross pieces to the poles. One on top & bottom or perhaps a middle one in added to the high & the low..

U bolts think items like muffler clamps. You can get all size U bolts at a good big box store.

Edit they make little metal slats that wind through the chain link fence. That should be the easiest/ cheapest way to do what you want!

Last edited by 6spdC6; 03-12-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: ADDED
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

How tall is this wood fencing that you want to install? Is the distance between existing metal post 10 foot or 8 foot?

How heavy will one section of the proposed wooden fence?

And the answer is yes you can attach the new fence to the old post. Drill a 3/8 inch hole through the existing post and attach the new post with bolts and washers,

or rent a metal banding machine and do at least 3 bands with each of the wooden post to the metal post; add cross pieces and install the rest of the boards.
1Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
1982CorvetteDude
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
How tall is this wood fencing that you want to install? Is the distance between existing metal post 10 foot or 8 foot?

How heavy will one section of the proposed wooden fence?

And the answer is yes you can attach the new fence to the old post. Drill a 3/8 inch hole through the existing post and attach the new post with bolts and washers,

or rent a metal banding machine and do at least 3 bands with each of the wooden post to the metal post; add cross pieces and install the rest of the boards.
it's going to be six foot wood privacy fence, spaced 8 feet apart on the posts.

It looks like my galvanzed posts are 2" thick...I'm hoping to do this in a weekend...I have a air framing nailer, have to check and see if I can get the correct nails for it.

After it's secure, I'm going back over it with wood screws anyway to keep the slats from warping and popping loose.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
1982CorvetteDude
CF Senior Member

Quote:

attach the new post in front of or behind the old?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982CorvetteDude View Post
attach the new post in front of or behind the old?
Where is the prioperty line and do you have an HOA that says the finished side of the fence must face out or in??
1Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
1982CorvetteDude
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Where is the prioperty line and do you have an HOA that says the finished side of the fence must face out or in??
The property line is exactly where the chain link is right now. In my area it doesn't matter if it's facing in or out.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
SunCr
CF Senior Member

Done out here quite frequently if not purposely because it's a bitch to replace termite infested wooden posts. Go to HD or Lowes and you should find adapters (Strong Ties) in the lumber area for attaching the rails to the metal posts. If you think there is (or will be at some point - like with a different owner/neighbor or resale) a property line issue, get a quick survey before you start hammering. I've seen stuff get torn down because people got sloppy with where they thought the property line was.
SunCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
PeterK
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I've done! HD carries special braces to bolt 2x4s. Nail the wood the 2x4s and you are done
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
walker3
CF Senior Member

did this two ways
My dad used existing post - fence fell in high wind - he had to extend the shorter post also for the top runner

I took my chainlink down left the old post and put new post inbetween the old post - this way I had double the strength for th first 4 feet - did not drill in smaller post used counduit bracket around post and screwed into 2x4 -
kept same property lines, looks good and strong
walker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Installing a wood fence using exising chain link posts...is it possible?

Tags
attach, attaching, chain, exhisting, existing, fence, link, metal, panel, post, posts, privacy, sale, snaps, utilize, wood