How much trisodium phosphate in a load of laundry? - Corvette Forum

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Log In 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory
Search

Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette

How much trisodium phosphate in a load of laundry?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
CurtP
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Posts: 10,431
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default How much trisodium phosphate in a load of laundry?

The dishwasher detergent thread got me to buy a few cases of the commercial Cascade with phosphates and I'm amazed at the difference. So I set out looking for laundry detergent. Ancient Chinese secret my *** - I can't find one. So I'm mixing my own using TSP. The stuff I have is 7.3% elemental phosphorous content. I wasn't able to find much using Google - it ranged from a couple of tbsp to 1/2 c.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
xX BUD Xx
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
 
xX BUD Xx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Posts: 18,256
Location: ̿’ ̿’\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’&
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

TSP will remove crabs from a crack ***** if mixed with bleach and hot water.

That stuff is awesome!!

Last edited by xX BUD Xx; 05-16-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: I typed a naughty word. Sorry.
xX BUD Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Prosecutor
CF Senior Member
 
Prosecutor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,038
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Huh? This is one of those situation where a link to the original thread would help people understand that you are talking about. Sounds like something that I need to know.
Prosecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Vettman 1
CF Senior Member
 
Vettman 1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Posts: 5,375
Location: Sierra Foothills California
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

After reading about the lack of phosphates in dishwasher detergent I found a commercial janitorial supply house in my area that sells the "good stuff". They sell 50 lb. pales of both laundry detergent ($60.00) and 50lb. pales of dishwasher detergent ($40.00) Both products work much better than anything I've found in the stores as they both contain phosphates

Last edited by Vettman 1; 05-16-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Vettman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
NEWudERA
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
NEWudERA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,329
Location: Poor pathetic little excuse for a boy
Thanked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosecutor View Post
Huh? This is one of those situation where a link to the original thread would help people understand that you are talking about. Sounds like something that I need to know.
NEWudERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
CurtP
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Posts: 10,431
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosecutor View Post
Huh? This is one of those situation where a link to the original thread would help people understand that you are talking about. Sounds like something that I need to know.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...t-washing.html
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
CurtP
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Posts: 10,431
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettman 1 View Post
After reading about the lack of phosphates in dishwasher detergent I found a commercial janitorial supply house in my area that sells the "good stuff".
Really? In CA? They've banned the stuff in VA and I can't find it at all, not even for commercial use. What's the name/brand? Restockit has quite a few industrial detergents, but they don't specify if they are phosphate or phosphate-free. Doing a Google search for laundry detergent with phosphate brings up a bunch of anti-phosphate dirty hippie crap.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
1Patriot
CF Senior Member
 
1Patriot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Posts: 28,327
Location: Evans, GA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

TSP the answer to the militarise requirement to decontaminate equipment from nerve gas to radiation. Also used to disinfect cooking utensils in field dining facilities.

Good stuff until your clothes end up with white spots in your colored laundry items.

Your local paint store should have it in one pound boxes.
1Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
jd
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15
 
jd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Posts: 25,513
Location: Salt Life paradise... IRB-FLA-USA#1
Thanked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Default

FWIW the lake that is 200 yards down the road from my house had the world's 2nd largest bass (21+ lbs) caught out of it in 1984...

Now the lake is dead...phosphates, along with extra nitrogen killed it...

YMMV in your state...
jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Low Flight
CF Senior Member
 
Low Flight's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,010
Location: Albuquerque New Mexico
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
TSP the answer to the militarise requirement to decontaminate equipment from nerve gas to radiation. Also used to disinfect cooking utensils in field dining facilities.

Good stuff until your clothes end up with white spots in your colored laundry items.

Your local paint store should have it in one pound boxes.
Is TSP what they're using for NBC decon now? I remember STB being used. Nasty stuff but does the job.
Low Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Rule292
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15
 
Rule292's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,248
Location: Tecate Mejico
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
TSP the answer to the militarise requirement to decontaminate equipment from nerve gas to radiation. Also used to disinfect cooking utensils in field dining facilities.

Good stuff until your clothes end up with white spots in your colored laundry items.

Your local paint store should have it in one pound boxes.

Caveat emptor with those one pound boxes - what used to be labeled "TSP" at the big boxes ain't any more.

Look at the ingredients. No more phosphates.
Rule292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #12
Scudd
CF Senior Member
 
Scudd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/ericsdodds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
FWIW the lake that is 200 yards down the road from my house had the world's 2nd largest bass (21+ lbs) caught out of it in 1984...

Now the lake is dead...phosphates, along with extra nitrogen killed it...

YMMV in your state...
Lake Seminole?
Scudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
worldtraveler
CF Senior Member
 
worldtraveler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,213
Location: Proud dad of 3 responsible adults tx
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Used to use it on drilling rigs back in the 70's for breaking up clay on the drill bits. Got banned early 80's in CA. Saved us lots of money when we could use it.
worldtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #14
larrysb
CF Senior Member
 
larrysb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Posts: 5,633
Location: $ilicon Vall€y CA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
FWIW the lake that is 200 yards down the road from my house had the world's 2nd largest bass (21+ lbs) caught out of it in 1984...

Now the lake is dead...phosphates, along with extra nitrogen killed it...

YMMV in your state...
Interesting that you're in Florida, one of the states that banned phosphates.

Much of the USA's phosphates are mined in Florida. The soil there is rich in phosphates and most of the phosphates in your water come from natural sources or from mining.

That it was banned from detergent seems a little silly, since there's so much of it already there in nature.
larrysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
CurtP
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Posts: 10,431
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysb View Post
That it was banned from detergent seems a little silly, since there's so much of it already there in nature.
Like all dirty hippie shenanigans, the banning of phosphate in detergents hasn't done anything but punish the consumer. Water treatment facilities are equipped to deal with phosphate and treat for it before it goes back into the waterways.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
Vettman 1
CF Senior Member
 
Vettman 1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Posts: 5,375
Location: Sierra Foothills California
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Really? In CA? They've banned the stuff in VA and I can't find it at all, not even for commercial use. What's the name/brand? Restockit has quite a few industrial detergents, but they don't specify if they are phosphate or phosphate-free. Doing a Google search for laundry detergent with phosphate brings up a bunch of anti-phosphate dirty hippie crap.
We have a septic tank so I'm only dumping the phosphates into the ground.
The products are from Luseaux Labs. http://www.luseaux.com/
Vettman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
lionsfan5454
CF Senior Member
 
lionsfan5454's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,336
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Like all dirty hippie shenanigans, the banning of phosphate in detergents hasn't done anything but punish the consumer. Water treatment facilities are equipped to deal with phosphate and treat for it before it goes back into the waterways.
What about people using septic systems instead of sewers? And, a lot of those people have to live right on lakes, the same lakes that all that extra phosphate hurts.
lionsfan5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
CurtP
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Posts: 10,431
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettman 1 View Post
We have a septic tank so I'm only dumping the phosphates into the ground.
The products are from Luseaux Labs. http://www.luseaux.com/
Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan5454 View Post
What about people using septic systems instead of sewers? And, a lot of those people have to live right on lakes, the same lakes that all that extra phosphate hurts.
IDGAF.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
garagedweller2
CF Senior Member
 
garagedweller2's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,656
Location: Brooklyn NY
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hope Dupont or someone moves down the river to some of you guys...
garagedweller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
CurtP
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Posts: 10,431
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagedweller2 View Post
Hope Dupont or someone moves down the river to some of you guys...
We'd be happy to trade PETA for Dupont.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page How much trisodium phosphate in a load of laundry?
 
 
 
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People... SUCK! The Cripp Off Topic 107 04-08-2015 09:59 PM
Nice oil write on C3 forum.... thecatmac C4 General Discussion 5 03-17-2013 01:15 PM
At Home Phosphate Coating? C2C6Z06 C3 General 18 02-02-2012 07:41 PM
Dishwasher ain't washing Bill Irwin Off Topic 33 05-06-2011 12:09 PM
Oil in lawn mower - detergent or non-detergent? byebyeL98 Off Topic 21 04-29-2007 05:51 PM


Tags
add, amount, how, laundry, much, nm, phosphae, phosphate, sale, septic, soap, sodium, tank, tri, trisodium, tsp

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.