Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
redzone
CF Senior Member

Default Corvette may have contributed to attempted home invasion

***Cliff notes at bottom****

My son & I were awakened at 2AM this past Thursday to the shrill of our home security system. Upon investigation we found the back door busted in. But thank God the noise scared the perps off. Or so we thought....

I had my son stand by the door while I got dressed and heard him shout "HEY". Turns out they'd left two duffel bags by my back door in their haste & were coming back to retrieve them. They ran when they saw my son & were picked up by a waiting car about 100 yards down the street. The police came & did their thing. They were very thorough,dusting for prints,and spent an hour scouring the neighborhood.

Although I was upset, I figured it was random & went to bed the next night without a lot of thought.

My wife woke me at 3 AM & said the power was out,along with the phone. We didn't see anyone,but our rear storm door was now propped open so we knew something was going on. We called 911 and the police were there in less than a minute.

Turns out the perps had come back to finish what they started,because our power & phone lines had been cut. I've spent the last two nights on the couch with a combat shotgun.

Anyways,the point of this thread is the police told me that thieves are following nice cars back to their homes for future prospects. I've been daily driving Corvettes since the introduction of the C5 but this may make me rethink that.

I hope I don't come off as a "chicken little"....but it happened to me & it could happen to you too.

***Cliff notes: My home was broken into & thugs are following nice cars back to homes for future prospects.
redzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
brooklync5
CF Senior Member

Monster1234
Send a message via AIM to brooklync5

My mossberg shotgun makes my corvette and I feel very safe.
brooklync5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
JimTN
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklync5 View Post
My mossberg shotgun makes my corvette and I feel very safe.
I don't have a mossberg, but I do have a riot shotgun that holds 7 shots, in addition to several pistols.
JimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Thrash
CF Senior Member
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

That is a scary prospect and a rational explanation. Criminals will not stop until stopped, so a more aggressive alarm system could be looked into, with strategic motion sensors, perimeter beam detectors, or other devices. Have your alarm co. give you a consult and see what they can do. How did they cut the power? Address that issue as well as the telephone cables (armored conduits, boxes inside or out of reach?).

The shotgun is of very little comfort, as having to use it would be terrifying, unless you were trained to use it. A gun is of some security though, as a last resort, and can save your life if push comes to shove.

Take care and get some opinions ...
Thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
c6miller
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

T/G you and your family are OK. Very brazen for them to return and disable your phone and alarm. I'd be on the couch too with my shotgun but my wife would have the house up for sale the next day. I hope they catch the ba$tards.
c6miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
lastcowboy
CF Senior Member

sorry to hear about that and the cops were right about your car.something else to keep in mind,car thiefs can now stand next to you and your fob in the store with a wire coat hanger while another stands next to your car with one and it will send a mesg. to your car that the fob is there and the door will open.so if you have your home alarm working on your sun viz.they can get in that way too ....hope theres not a next time good luck
lastcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
mcandrew67
CF Senior Member

Glad you and your family are safe. One day they will pick the wrong house and be taken away in body bags. It's just a matter of time.
Big thing to remember is be aware of your surroundings, if you feel you are being followed make a series of right (or left) turns, it will determine if you are, if you are then don't drive straight home. Best bet is PD and try to get tag, make model, occupants descriptions.
Some friends think I'm paranoid because I carry, but a former career exposed me to the planets low life.

mcandrew67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Doz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcowboy View Post
.something else to keep in mind,car thiefs can now stand next to you and your fob in the store with a wire coat hanger while another stands next to your car with one and it will send a mesg. to your car that the fob is there and the door will open.

please elaborate. is this something you read on the internet/chain email or is it something real? Sounds like utter bs. Is it only wire coat hangers that can defeat the security system? Or any wiring? What if I park next to a car (that contains....WIRES!), and then I walk past a (insert anything in the world that has wires), will that open my door?
Doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
carnut08
CF Senior Member

It's always a good idea to "watch your six" as the pilots say. In other words you should get into the habit of making sure youre not beign followed when you head home.

Varying your route is also a good idea.
carnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
MARSC6
CF Senior Member

Thats nuts. I would be sleeping with the shotgun as well.
MARSC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
lastcowboy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz View Post
please elaborate. is this something you read on the internet/chain email or is it something real? Sounds like utter bs. Is it only wire coat hangers that can defeat the security system? Or any wiring? What if I park next to a car (that contains....WIRES!), and then I walk past a (insert anything in the world that has wires), will that open my door?
read it in a.o.l auto ...how car thiefs are now stealing cars.the way i read it you have to have one at the fob and one at the car.it seems like its just sending the range of the fob a greater distance.

Last edited by lastcowboy; 07-13-2011 at 06:42 PM.
lastcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Captain Buddha
CF Senior Member

My SOP when turning into my neighborhood is to keep on driving if there's a car behind me that I don't recognize, I don't even turn on to my street, I pick another street and keep going.
Captain Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Hirohawa
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buddha View Post
My SOP when turning into my neighborhood is to keep on driving if there's a car behind me that I don't recognize, I don't even turn on to my street, I pick another street and keep going.
I do the same. Very good advice!
Hirohawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Torchsport
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

That is ballsy to come back, TWICE! Time for a BIG dog.
Good thing you didn't need to get into any hand to hand.
Glad all is safe.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Wow, Russell, that's really bad news. I hope everyone is ok, if not sleeping too well. It does sound as if your local police are on your side tho in their response time. I wonder if they have any indication that this is not a first time for this "gang." Sounds like it.

Take care and keep us posted.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
St. Jude Donor '11
Support Corvetteforum!

Lisa York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
Criminals will not stop until stopped, ...
Should've let them come on in in the the dark and blasted a few shots. Click the image to open in full size.Now, THAT will stop them permanently. That's what me, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson would've done. They stay in my night stand every night.
LisasZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
gene0809
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
That is ballsy to come back, TWICE! Time for a BIG dog.
Good thing you didn't need to get into any hand to hand.
Glad all is safe.
one or two dogs will solve your problem!!
gene0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
JWell
CF Senior Member

I have a mean dog and a 7 shot remington 12ga that will make them realize that nothing in my house is worth risking their life for
JWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
SouthTexasBully
CF Senior Member

Glad your family is safe..a shotgun is definitely a good home protector.people like that need to be shot dead.thank you for sharing this with us
SouthTexasBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
chris12.8
CF Senior Member

Its probably safe to assume that if they were motivated enough to cut the power they were probably carrying weapons also.
chris12.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Corvette may have contributed to attempted home invasion

Tags
2011, attempted, ca, concord, corvette, home, invasion, july, nc