Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Default has anyone ever used the qbid auction site?

just curious how it compares to Ebay. I do know you pay 60 cents a bid, win or lose
Markm10431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
TabuIsMe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Send a message via AIM to TabuIsMe Send a message via Yahoo to TabuIsMe

That site is such a scam, i did my research on it a while ago..
They make plenty of profit from those bids, and there are rumors that the sales are not legit.. i would be happy to link you if you want some more information.
TabuIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabuIsMe View Post
That site is such a scam, i did my research on it a while ago..
They make plenty of profit from those bids, and there are rumors that the sales are not legit.. i would be happy to link you if you want some more information.
kinda figured.. Ipads @ $30 screams scam
Markm10431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
zrtdawg44
CF Senior Member

Yeah stories of the company having bots or employees win auctions to relist the item.

They have a potential to make HUGE profits with good traffic and plenty of bids/bidders.
zrtdawg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
TabuIsMe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Send a message via AIM to TabuIsMe Send a message via Yahoo to TabuIsMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markm10431 View Post
Think about it.. you pay 60 cents per bid, if you realistically want to win.. you will end up forking over more money in bids then what the item is worth..not including all the other scams associated with this site.
TabuIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
SharkByte
CF Senior Member

My understanding is that you buy "bids" then you spend your bids to try to win the auction. You bid 10, the next guy bids 15, you come back and bid 20 but you already paid for that first 10 bids so now you're $30 into the item and you haven't even won it yet. the next guy bids $35 now you have to fork over another $50 on top of the $30 you already bid. Oh, and if you don't win you are still out all that money because you are paying for the bids, not the item...

Sounds like a scam to me... lol
SharkByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
corvettezman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!

A big scam. You spend money on an item that you do not get.
corvettezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Platoface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

I do not use bc I have a brain.

Plenty of info about this scam on the internets.
Platoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
minitech
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markm10431 View Post
Not the $30 Ipad but the way they auction it. From what they say "THE BID ONLY GOES UP A PENNY!" GREAT!! But $30 of penny bids for $0.60 each is $1800 of bids. They could throw the Ipad to the winner no problem for $30 and still eek a profit out.

And think some items sell for much, much more. Probably even soak you for shipping. But based on the TV time they buy it must be working for them.

Scam Yes.
minitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
ZeusC6
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Location: Karma! Fake your injured when you get touched all the time... ... and then you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkByte View Post
My understanding is that you buy "bids" then you spend your bids to try to win the auction. You bid 10, the next guy bids 15, you come back and bid 20 but you already paid for that first 10 bids so now you're $30 into the item and you haven't even won it yet. the next guy bids $35 now you have to fork over another $50 on top of the $30 you already bid. Oh, and if you don't win you are still out all that money because you are paying for the bids, not the item...

Sounds like a scam to me... lol
My undertsanding is if you actually win the item, your bids are credited back off the sale price.
But you have to win to get them back.

Thats how they make the money, people who lose the bid shell out .60 cents a bid.

Not a scam, as all that is up front, the gamble is winning the item, you lose, you lost.
ZeusC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
DT
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusC6 View Post
My undertsanding is if you actually win the item, your bids are credited back off the sale price.
But you have to win to get them back.

Thats how they make the money, people who lose the bid shell out .60 cents a bid.

Not a scam, as all that is up front, the gamble is winning the item, you lose, you lost.

Exactly. It's not a scam.

I don't care how their business model is setup. So they make $2000 off a $400 item, that's not a scam as long as you get the item as advertised. The claim of bot-bids, yeah, I suppose that's possible...

The model is simple: each of your $0.xx bids raises the price of item (usually) by $0.01. Each bid bumps the time, usually between 5-20 seconds.

You pay (in advance) for the bids, plus the price of the item at the time the auction ends, based on the incremental bumps of $0.01.

The really sweet deals come where everybody is trying to second guess everybody else, and not "waste" a bid, assuming/hoping someone else will (and extend the time).

I've won a few things, along with a few friends. Got them as advertised, brand new, shipping was disclosed right up front, etc.
DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
draen

Default Don'tIt's Still A Scam

Don't believe people who twist the truth- it's still a scam.

The first part of the scam is they say - stop getting ripped off by retail stores that are charging several hundreds of dollars for an iPad when you can get it for $30 on qbid.

This is a big fat lie in so many ways. First of all, they still have to spend hundreds of dollars to buy it from Apple or a distributor in the first place. The first rule of a scam - deception, deceit, trickery, to confuse and use the victim, prey on their weakness... persuade the mark into the trap.

Second, to say that you can get it for $30. This is also another lie. You can't realistically get it for $30 - because you have to pay to bid at 0.60 a bid. I don't know if the rules change, but you still had to pay the bid price of $30 or whatever the bid was. ONLY if you lost the bidding war could your lost bids be counted towards another product. But my reading of the rules was that you had to pay the bid price if you won!

In gambling, like the lotto or a ponzi scheme or a con game or scam, at least one participant stand to make a killing with a boat load of money - while leaving an endless wake of defrauded victims grieving for their losses.

With eBay, you pay only if you win, if you lose, you lose nothing. In gambling, you lose money even if you didn't win.

In a legit auction, you can pay an entry fee to participate and you pay if you win an item on your bid. You never spend money and not receive anything in return - this only happens in gambling. Even if you pay an entry fee, it gives you access, a seat, the right or option to bid or view the item.

Bottom line: When you pay and receive nothing for payment, like a shakedown, it's a scam no matter however you want to disguise it or pretty it up or try to legitimize it, it's still a scam.

qBid wouldn't be a scam if you paid a single fee to participate, but then, how would they make $7,000 on an iPad??? If it had any legitimacy, the first person that bids when the value of the item in bids has been reached -wins!!! It is then sold to that bidder.

In our district, a home owner can legally hold a lottery for a house. This means they can sell tickets for say... $100 each and the person who has the winning number can claim the house valued at say $800,000 for only $100.00 (of course, you probably want to buy more than one ticket). But the catch is, the homeowner is not allowed to sell more than 8,000 tickets - so they are checks and balances to prevent a qbid style scam because the homeowner could make $80 million selling an unlimited amounts of tickets. This is what qbid does - selling that iPad over and over and over again.
draen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Shore
CF Senior Member

It's the new lottery for those that are bad at math.
Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Scoob
CF Senior Member

Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
draen

If they really wanted to legitimize their scam they should say...

iPads for 30 bid dollars or $1,800
Please Note: one bid dollar = $60 or ($30 * $60) = $1,800
Bid wisely!

Question: Which one of these are a scam:

A. Get a brand new iPad for $30
B. Get a brand new iPad $1,800
draen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
utah997
Circles are Hard
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!

Not a scam.
utah997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
340.29m/s
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah997 View Post
Not a scam.

It isn't actually a scam, it is just stupid.
340.29m/s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
wugak
CF Senior Member

No... I can read......
wugak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

I wondered what the deal was.
good info.
calwldlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
jcsperson
CF Senior Member
NC Events Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah997 View Post
Not a scam.
It's only "not a scam" in the sense that Poker or pari-mutuel wagering are not scams. Somebody eventually wins, but everyone who participated but didn't win loses. It's really a form of gambling. I'm surprised the gummint hasn't jumped on this.
jcsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page has anyone ever used the qbid auction site?

Tags
auction, auctions, bid, bidded, bidder, car, cheap, cost, forum, logos, pics, qbid, site, top, winners