Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Send a message via AIM to Humanoid 2.0
Default residential make-up air units - input needed

Cliff notes: looking for recommendations for a residential make-up air unit to reduce negative pressure in my basement.

I have been sealing up and insulating my older house to be more energy efficient, It is a two story home with a full basement in NJ, so it gets cold here. I have NG fired furnace, HWH in the basement. 2 kitchen exhaust fans, and 4 bathrooms with exhaust fans. clothes dryer on first floor. I just had a wood burning insert installed in my fire place so i can get the benefit of the fire place and heat without sucking my heated air up the chimney.
So i have a lot of appliances competing for air and some also oxygen.

So what i noticed was that when burring my new insert occasionally I would get the wood burning smell in my basement. Now since the insert is producing my heat and if i don't call for hot water the gas flu gets cold, with only a little polite light on the HWH to keep it warm. So with the negative pressure in the basement it was getting some of the wood flu air down it (single chimney with 2 flu)

When i call for hot water or the furnace calls for heat the flu drafts fine. It when it cold that the draft is weak. I learned to open a window or door when lighting a fire, or when i open the door to reload, spillage from the insert has not been an issue.

I just don't want to keep a basement window open all the time to reduce that negative pressure.

So what i am thinking is i should have a make-up air unit installed but i have no experience with them

What does OT recommend?
Humanoid 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
xomega
CF Senior Member

they make draft inducing motors to help with the draft. also does your chimney go past the highest part of the roof?
xomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomega View Post
they make draft inducing motors to help with the draft. also does your chimney go past the highest part of the roof?
Yes, the chimney does go above the highest point. It is an exterior brick chimney.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Paul 75 L82
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Paul 75 L82

Get a 6" dryer vent and take out the back draft damper. Install it somewhere and run 6" snap lock pipe to the basement. You can find a small fan at Grainger or McMaster Carr that is 6" round. You can then install a small 6" round grille to make it pleasant to look at. You can then wire the fan to a 110v outlet. There controls that you can get if you want to get fancy, ask at your AC supply house.
Paul 75 L82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
weathermaker
CF Senior Member

Get a Fan in a Can.
http://www.fieldcontrols.com/cas.php
weathermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran

This looks like a good write up on the need for make-up air, explains things well.

http://mn.gov/commerce/energy/images/Combustion-Air.pdf
Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Craig Brumley
CF Senior Member

What they said...duct in you induction air.
Craig Brumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member

Run a fan.

Sealed houses are not that healthy. need to have air in the house fully circulated with fresh air several times every 90 min.
AU N EGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
xomega
CF Senior Member

or if you want fresh air you can always add a freshair damper, think honeywell makes one.
xomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
LarryMJones
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

The cost of operating a make up air unit is extreme.

You need to find a better solution, possibly a heat exchanger for all the exhaust fans. It will require they all be ducted together before the heat exchanger, that may not be practicle.

The fireplace ash door will allow combustion air into the fire place without drawing house air up the chimney.

And all your gas heating and water heating units should be in a sealed enclosure from the living space area with approved combustion air ducted into the enclosure.

The main goal is to eliminate as much outside air from entering your living space. But if you have the cash a make up air unit will solve the problem.
LJ
LarryMJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The HVAC/Insulation guy who i am working with is thinking I may want abandon my natural draft hot water heater and go with a power vent one or do a retro kit. The HWH is a 40 gallon tank and was installed in 2002. My gas bills in the summer for hot water and coking are very low so i don't see any return on investment from a tankless and running out of hot water has not been an issue.
From the documents the homeowners left the furnace looks to be an 80% York model installed in 2005. From what was being explained it is more sophisticated compared to the HWH, there is no pilot light, a sealed combustion chamber, there is a blower, etc, that getting any smoke smell down the flue from it should be mitigated or eliminated. The Y pipe to the HWH would be caped off.

He is going to come over Thursday and take some pressure measurements and use a blower door. We going to see how the gas flue behaves with the air handler on, off, opening a basement window etc. Normal they only test for when the gas appliances are on since they are only concerned with CO getting in the house when on, not when they are off.

The guy who put in my insert is going to see if he can get a taller liner cap to go above the gas liner cap as well, that should help when the wind blows from the wood flue to the gas flue.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member

get a chakra cleanse. all that negative pressure can't be good for your health.
SLO VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page residential make-up air units - input needed

Tags
air, basement, blower, california, house, make, makeup, negative, pictures, pressure, residentail, residental, residential, unit, units