Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
G.Rossman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Basement dug under current home?

My wife and I have a house without a basement, we have very limited storage space and end up using alot of the closet room for boxes and such. We have thought about trying to get a house, not really larger, with a basement. With the market on homes as it is we could get a good deal on another house, but selling ours would be ugly. We have joked about getting one put under our current home. I'm sure anything is possible but thought some builders or contractors might be on here and have some information about it being done before.
G.Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
tumbleweed
CF Senior Member

Location: "There's a he11 of a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on this outfit....... i'm practicing to be a grouchy old man, and getting good at it....

If you have room to expand, adding an addition to the house may work better.... easier access, no water problems, etc.....
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
SonOf65again
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Rossman View Post
My wife and I have a house without a basement, we have very limited storage space and end up using alot of the closet room for boxes and such. We have thought about trying to get a house, not really larger, with a basement. With the market on homes as it is we could get a good deal on another house, but selling ours would be ugly. We have joked about getting one put under our current home. I'm sure anything is possible but thought some builders or contractors might be on here and have some information about it being done before.
I've looked into it. I assume your house is built on a crawlspace, here in NM modern construction is built on slabs. If your house does have a crawlspace, there are companies that will come with jacks and lift the entire house at the supports, excavate, finish it and lower the house back down. $$$

When I was considering it, the conclusion I came too(well, actually what I was told) is it would be a better return on my investment to have a second story added.

When I was researching it I found stories from people who did it themselves a bucket at a time, so it can be done that way too.

And then there's this guy: http://www.kvue.com/news/local/94200924.html
SonOf65again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Aggravated4life
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

That could cost up to 40K to do so eh?

Since you live in Indy,and I know how flat the areas can be,basements are a bad idea unless you live on a bump or small hill somewhere.My aunt lives in Indy and did the same thing as the other poster suggested,she had a large room added to the house.Her next door neighbor has a full basement and has constant flooding problems.
Aggravated4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Hammer99
CF Senior Member

Is your house on a concrete slab, or is there a crawlspace under?
Hammer99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
G.Rossman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

On a concrete slab, the soil is basically clay here and is tough digging. Hoped to keep from using up what little yard I have. Even a three season room would be nice, if large enough I could use it for storage, and pool table. I would think if it had electric I could put some heaters out there and use it all season long and I actually have a window off my kitchen that would make a great entry door. I figured that would cost me 15k min. but more like 35k alone for a decent size. My wife really wants a basement, but I can't get myself to take such a loss on the house to move into another one and I would rather move out of the county and into a more rural setting with a little land if possible. Having 3-10 acres would be great so I could build a pole barn.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
vetterdstr
CF Senior Member
CA Events Coordinator

Its done here all the time... jack up the existing house and put it on pilings.. do all the work underneath and set it back down on its new foundation/basement. Its great if you have the money.
vetterdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
SonOf65again
CF Senior Member

Quote:
On a concrete slab, the soil is basically clay here and is tough digging. Hoped to keep from using up what little yard I have. Even a three season room would be nice, if large enough I could use it for storage, and pool table. I would think if it had electric I could put some heaters out there and use it all season long and I actually have a window off my kitchen that would make a great entry door. I figured that would cost me 15k min. but more like 35k alone for a decent size. My wife really wants a basement, but I can't get myself to take such a loss on the house to move into another one and I would rather move out of the county and into a more rural setting with a little land if possible. Having 3-10 acres would be great so I could build a pole barn.
On a slab you're SOL, just not economically feasible.
SonOf65again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Hammer99
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOf65again View Post
On a slab you're SOL, just not economically feasible.
Hammer99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
G.Rossman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

Figured it would cost a ton of money. Maybe I will look at a small addition behind the garage in the next year or so...with the market it is just hard to tell. At this point I think any upgrades might be a waste as for resale goes.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Joe0121
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06

Send a message via AIM to Joe0121 Send a message via MSN to Joe0121 Send a message via Yahoo to Joe0121

I live in a hundred year old house that has a basement but with a really low ceiling. I wonder how much it would cost to dig it out deeper and finish it nicer. In the end it always makes more sense to just buy a house with a bigger basement.
Joe0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
LarryMJones
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Years ago a friend had a small storage area under his house for a just lawn mower and a few tools.

He started in digging a little at a time and finally dug out a nice size basement storage area. He had a contractor come in and pour the slab and build a block wall to provide walls for shelving.

It would make a good weekend project.
LJ
LarryMJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
UberLegend
CF Senior Member

You use the term storage often; these come in some large sizes. If you sell you can take it with you

Click the image to open in full size.
UberLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
RICEKILA
CF Senior Member

And if it's sound proof
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Marc00C5
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03

Even if you dig the hole, it will not drain in clay soil conditions. We use clay in the design of detention basin berms as a core because it stops the water from penetrating the berm. Add on
Marc00C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
Thunder22
CF Senior Member

www.publicstorage.com

Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00

I think I would just add on to the house without trying the basement approach. Seems like it would be a lot less hassle in the long run.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #18
jasper711
CF Senior Member

Quote:
End of story.

I dug out much dirt our from our previous home's crawlspace, created a tunnel under a shallow part of the foundation (it was a split level design with steel reinforced foundations) to run a wheel barrow in and out. I dug deep enough to have a 7' ceiling height to within about 6' from the outer foundations. It actually was fun but not possible with a slab.

If you are really determined to have a basement and full size doesn't matter, it would be easier to excavate a basement beside your existing house and then cover it with an above grade addition to the house.
jasper711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
Aggravated4life
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

I wanted to add,my aunts home in Indy,the soil was full of clay as well.

I remember when they dug the ground up for the new addition,it was all clay.They talked about making a basement under the new room addition but the builder advised them not to,economically,since the street they live on,was so flat and difficult to get the water to drain away.
Aggravated4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
G.Rossman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberLegend View Post
You use the term storage often; these come in some large sizes. If you sell you can take it with you

Click the image to open in full size.

Would love one but the HOA has a member or two that hates them and they make it near impossible to get anything done.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Basement dug under current home?

Tags
basement, connecticut, crawlspace, current, digging, dug, excavate, existing, garage, getba, house