TSA outrage - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette

TSA outrage

Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
wheelswithinwheels
CF Senior Member

Default TSA outrage

My 80 y/o parents and I just returned to L.I. from a Southwest flight from Tampa. When we went through the TSA security checkpoint my mother was singled out and declared a "hit". This was after we went through their detection equipment. After watching these agents unprofessionally milling around and bantering amongst themselves I grew increasingly disgusted and was once again reminded of what a politically correct folly this whole thing has become. Mind you, my mother has recently had her second knee replacement and they had her standing on the yellow "footprint" marking with her hands in the air. They had her in this position for quite some time until I heard a female agent say they needed to "search her". Being a NYS Trooper and understanding the whole safety issue, I respectfully inquired to a TSA agent that was standing by what was going on. He said something about "gunpowder" or "fertilizer" detected on her. He also said it might be "hand cream or lotion and that is was probably nothing". My mother was eventually led into a room and searched.

My father, in a wheelchair, was also singled out. He had a small carry-on duffel bag that was taken from his lap. The bag was taken out of his presence and the contents were x-rayed and rummaged through. It was returned to him. We eventually were all on on way to the gate and thankfully we allowed ourselves plenty of time for our flight.

Upon return home my father realized that his plastic soap caddy in his shaving kit (inside the duffel bag) was missing. Inside the soap caddy was his Army dog tags that he kept for the past almost 60 years. He always kept them with him and never went anywhere without them. There was nothing else contained in the soap caddy but the dog tags. NOTHING !

My father is heartbroken and PISSED! And so am I! When he called me this evening to tell me, he actually used the "f" word to describe his anger. I can count on one hand the times that I have ever heard him utter that word.
wheelswithinwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
99C5Vert
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

99C5Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Easy Rhino
CF Senior Member

The whole TSA office here recently got busted for stealing lots of stuff from passengers.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
99mallett
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana

We recently took a trip to Florida and my wife got "singled out" in a security check. They also made her stand in the scanning "booth" while they discussed what was next. They then did the "explosives tests" on her. They still couldn't decide what to do next as they were getting "unusual readings" on some of the tests. They had speculated that the "sparkles" in the design on her sweater were the issue, then they thought it may be "something else".
My wife is a Breast Cancer survivor, and has two implants (double mastectomy). She had to have one replaced recently, and when the TSA was told this, they speculated that the new implant had some sort of tracking or research chip in it that was being picked up. After nearly 20 minutes, they decided to pass her through. This didn't happen on the return trip...curious.
They also confiscated a small manicure kit that was allegedly "TSA approved", and my wife had carried through dozens of security checks over the last 4 years...it was almost like "we can't figure out why she sets off the security alarms, so we'll just keep her manicure set".
99mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
The JOe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'12

That is disgusting. The TSA is a pathetic joke and in a sad way the terrorists won.

I'm sorry to hear about the stupid problems and the theft they went through.

I personally do not fly unless there is no other option and it's an emergency. I refuse to have these minimum wage dropouts get their power trip on me just because they have the opportunity.
The JOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
rcread
CF Senior Member

They need to privatize it. Anything the government does is a disaster.
rcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
thechosenone
CF Senior Member

But TSA is here to protect you.
thechosenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
WallyWest
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bulldog View Post
That is disgusting. The TSA is a pathetic joke and in a sad way the terrorists won.

I'm sorry to hear about the stupid problems and the theft they went through.

I personally do not fly unless there is no other option and it's an emergency. I refuse to have these minimum wage dropouts get their power trip on me just because they have the opportunity.
WallyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
C5GTO
CF Senior Member

That is flat out wrong - to steal those dog tags is more than just a crime, it is a sin, and I can see why you would be outraged. Heck, I am outraged for you and your dad! Is there any recourse?
C5GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Milton Fox
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Contact your State senators and congress members and tell them what happened. Hopefully one of them will do the right thing and you might even get them back.

Bastages...
Milton Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05

Youd think these guys would learn, so many getting busted for stealing. Guess if they were that bright they would have real jobs.

What happened to him, you HAVE to do something about that. Sure it was all on camera can you get it subpoenaed?
Sad....scumbag pos!!
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
HummelS
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
The TSA is a pathetic joke and in a sad way the terrorists won.
Those TSA fk's have got me to the point where, if I can't drive there, I'm not going. I really would like to make another trip to Europe, but there isn't a bridge.

Give some folks a uniform, they will immediately assert their "authority."
HummelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
FresnoRog
CF Senior Member

If committing a crime against an officer generally results in a harsher sentence, then an officer committing a crime ought to result in a harsher sentence for the officer.
FresnoRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
Donuts
CF Senior Member

The TSA are the terrorists..
Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
snide
CF Senior Member
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard on duty.

Download the FlyRight app to your phone and report the bastards on the spot.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #16
War Eagle ZO6
Loser Sr.
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14, '16-'17

Damn.

War Eagle ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Support Corvetteforum!
Tampa Regional Coordinator
C6 of Month Finalist 2015
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

just flew out to Houston from Tampa and back...no issues on either end....didn't see anyone having any problems and things moved quickly despite all the clueless people in line who can't read or think the signs don't apply to them.

I went expecting some however
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
SteveR.
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Absolutely right. The TSA & "Homeland Security" were the single biggest victories for the terrorists. Homeland Security significantly reduced our freedoms while costing us about $60 Billion per year and growing. A small country declaring war on us couldn't affect us in that way...but a handful of terrorists did it by taking advantage of our inept government.
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR. View Post
Absolutely right. The TSA & "Homeland Security" were the single biggest victories for the terrorists. Homeland Security significantly reduced our freedoms while costing us about $60 Billion per year and growing. A small country declaring war on us couldn't affect us in that way...but a handful of terrorists did it by taking advantage of our inept government.
Government may well be inept, but TSA/Homeland "Security" is all about power and control.

I'm usually in airports several times a month and I've seen far more elderly folks "singled out" than people who might actually seek to do harm.
steve_n_houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Umrswimr
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_n_houston View Post
Government may well be inept, but TSA/Homeland "Security" is all about power and control.

I'm usually in airports several times a month and I've seen far more elderly folks "singled out" than people who might actually seek to do harm.
I would agree. It's almost like they're trying to go out of their way to prove they aren't profiling people. Except by picking the harmless elderly person, you're actually profiling!

The TSA folks certainly don't make me feel any safer and I'll be happy when the preferred traveller program is rolled out to more airports so I can skip most of the .
Umrswimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • TSA outrage
  •