Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
UniqueDoug
CF Senior Member

Default What would you do if you bought a used car AS-IS from a dealer & it broke soon after?

Two cars I've sold this month have broken down/acted up within a week after the sale. Selling used cars is tough, I try to do as much reconditioning before I sell, heck I've spent off the top of my head $3000 plus on a handful of cars before they hit my lot on "making things right".

But at the end of the day they are used cars and shiat happens.

One car was a 2001 Mercedes C240 with 106k and it started stalling on him after one week, turns out to be a $600 sensor. I sold it as-is but with an after-market warranty that only covers engine internals and the transmission.

Second car was delivered today and apparently the clutch went out after his 100 mile drive home. It was fine on the test drive and the 15 miles I drove it myself. He owed me $240 on the down so I told him that I would waive that so he could put it towards the clutch (clutch kit is only $140 for a '98 Mustang GT).

Just curious what kind of action OT would take. There is no legal recourse for a buyer if the AS-IS is signed, but I personally try to help out. I'm not raking in the bucks so can't take cars back or give $1000 refunds, if I did I'd be out of business by year end. Old cars break, sooner or later, just hate it when it happens in the first few months...
UniqueDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Ghostface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10

KWP1911

"As is" means just that, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd be pissed thinking that you sold me a piece of crap.

Lastly, I wouldn't buy a car without a warranty.
Ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
65Z01
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 65Z01

Quote:
"As is" means just that, ...
Early this year I bought my current 35th Anni "as is", knowing some of its issues; soon after I discovered some "others".

But I knew what means "as is" and so have no problem with the deal nor the dealer.
65Z01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
randyredleg
CF Senior Member

Looks like you try to be as reasonable as possible. That's all anyone should expect.
randyredleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Drew M
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Drew M

Something really bad would have to happen for me to contact a dealer after buying a car as-is.
Drew M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
bsmith
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

When I bought my C5, the fuel gauge went nutty a couple days later.
The selling dealer good-willed the repair.

How much did they pay for that crappy aftermarket warranty?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice, almost appropriate what you did on the stang. Not meaning you had to but still. That stuff gets referrals Id think

The benz, what can you say? Not your fault.

You could be a douche buy it back for way less and put them upside down in something else.

Like Lassie come home, win/DOug.

Last edited by cuisinartvette; 06-20-2012 at 09:24 PM.
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
91Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
"As is" means just that
91Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
repo
CF Senior Member
St Jude Donor '14

Dealers cant sell as is in NY over 1500.00
repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
C5 Pewter Coupe
CF Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to C5 Pewter Coupe

I've had stuff go bad on used cars right after being bought.. the dealer covered it (I also bought new cars from them as well, both before and after the used cars)
C5 Pewter Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueDoug View Post
Two cars I've sold this month have broken down/acted up within a week after the sale. Selling used cars is tough, I try to do as much reconditioning before I sell, heck I've spent off the top of my head $3000 plus on a handful of cars before they hit my lot on "making things right".

But at the end of the day they are used cars and shiat happens.

One car was a 2001 Mercedes C240 with 106k and it started stalling on him after one week, turns out to be a $600 sensor. I sold it as-is but with an after-market warranty that only covers engine internals and the transmission.

Second car was delivered today and apparently the clutch went out after his 100 mile drive home. It was fine on the test drive and the 15 miles I drove it myself. He owed me $240 on the down so I told him that I would waive that so he could put it towards the clutch (clutch kit is only $140 for a '98 Mustang GT).

Just curious what kind of action OT would take. There is no legal recourse for a buyer if the AS-IS is signed, but I personally try to help out. I'm not raking in the bucks so can't take cars back or give $1000 refunds, if I did I'd be out of business by year end. Old cars break, sooner or later, just hate it when it happens in the first few months...

AS IS and you do NOTHING - I would suck it up, lick my wounds, but not come back.

AS IS and you make an effort of ANY kind - I would accept, suck it up, lick my wounds and come back when I need another car.

I fully comprehend "as is" but the dealer who would do nothing is a guy I suspect KNEW there was a problem and prayed I would get it off his lot before it crapped out.

The dealer that makes some...ANY...motion to correct tells me it was a surprise to him as well and he values his customers.

You're doing the right thing.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Today's problem is..
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I think most people, while they may not be happy about it, know what they are going into with AS-IS.

Secondly, as someone who runs a repair facility, stop selling those terrible warranties. They waste the owner's, and the shop's time, and just fleece the owner of money they could put towards legitimate repair, as in my experience, "powertrain" warranties are useless.

The last one I had in, covered "axles". Ok, sounds good, the car in question, an Audi A4, had a seized CV joint on the right front axle. Oh no, they dont cover the CV joint, they cover the axle..... the metal f*&king rod. Pointless.

Today's problem is.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
pkazsr
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

"As is" means just that. If there is a problem after the car leaves the lot it is not your problem, legally or morally. But I think if I wanted that customer to come back and buy another car from me and possibly pass on the great deal/services to others I would take the loss of at least part of the repair costs.
I was lucky with my purchase of my 35th. Sight unseen, pictures, and CarFax, cash and put it on the trailer and brought it home. Unknown to me at the time the original window sticker, build sheets and the maintenance records were in the glove box.
I bought it "As is" but the guy selling it didn't know what he had. I would have paid more for it if he knew what it was.
88 Anniversary #1382
Plate NH "PKAZSR"
pkazsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
The Cripp
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
That's interesting.
The Cripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
VorteXGT
New Money Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!

Unless I felt it was because of a cover-up (poorly repaired tire blows, bad weld repair cracks, etc) I wouldn't think to blame the person I bought it from. But I, like most people on this forum, are sensible car people. You probably deal with idiots who don't know any better. They are to cars like you are to women.
VorteXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
CHASLS2
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

Sell it like i did a 97 Z28 with a leaking LT1.
CHASLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Sell it like i did a 97 Z28 with a leaking LT1.
Note to self: Never buy anything from CHASLS2.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
DT
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cripp View Post
That's interesting.
Yeah, it kind of sandboxes as-is to POSs
DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

It depends on the customer. Conversation with my boss at a small lot I worked at: (we had no service dept, but had a certified mechanic nearby check the cars out before they went on the lot.)

Me - Hey, boss the guy that bought that blue F150 last week called and said he's having trouble with the transmission.

Boss - Was that the clown that acted all insulted when we offered him the warranty because he's an aircraft mechanic and he knows way more about working on cars than we do and fixes all his own stuff so we can shove our warranty? Normally I would offer him our mechanic's $45 an hour rate and all parts at our cost.

Me - So what do you want to do for him?

Boss - Not a damn thing.
GotCorvette? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
dbraver2
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
Unless the vehicle has over 100,000 miles.
dbraver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page What would you do if you bought a used car AS-IS from a dealer & it broke soon after?