Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
themonk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12-'13-'14

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Beer, JK, money and cars

No you can't, you can get a shock, but you won't die.

Electrocuted means death.

If you have a pacemaker or a weak heart then I guess you could die but that has more to do with your crappy heart than the shock of the battery.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe View Post
if your skin is wet, DO NOT touch both battery terminals.. you have less resistance, and the current even at the low voltage can flow through your body.. and the hundreds of amps it can generate will fry you internal organs.

Where do you hide those hundres of amps in a car battery.

Cold cranking is what? ? ? Across a starter and a bendix!
1Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
C4DC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Notch View Post
I know a guy who is blind because he jump started a tractor and the batter blew up in his face. Wear safety goggles.
I was charging a battery with an strong charger. Left it on too long and was smelling that ionized smell in the air, went to disconnect it without unplugging it first and the little spark from removing the clamp set it off. It blew up in my face/upper body. Like an M80 with a hot acid shower. Ran over to the faucet and hosed all the acid off and was no worse for the wear. I thought I'd feel some burning at the minimum. Dodged a bullet on that one. Guys at the auto parts store never saw a battery trade in like that one; it was split from top to bottom and side to side.
C4DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
Dale1990
CF Senior Member

Electrocuted... no.

Burned, crispy flesh... yep.

When I was a kid, my Dad was working on the car and accidentally hit the power wire on the back of the alternator with his watch band. The band grounded against the case and went to red hot faster than he could yell "Oh SH_T". He still has the big scar on his wrist to prove it. He normally took his watch off but forgot this time.
Dale1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
DT
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Only if you connect the battery to your nipples.
OK, that totally throws off my plans for tonight ...
DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by important View Post
I dont drive the C6 much, maybe on the weekends, I travel quite a bit for extended times etc., so I'm having to deal a lot with the battery.

So I'm removing the connectors and sometimes it sparks and stuff, can I die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slant View Post
You have to try real hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Brumley View Post
Yes
Do you have a nice watch or something I can have when you are dead?

I knew a person one time back in the 80's who kept having his car broken into. He rigged the battery up to the metal of the car. if anyone touched it, they got a hell of a jolt
slewfoot1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
ft laud mike
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Only if you connect the battery to your nipples.

Battery- not enough amperage to kill
One time I pushed down on the coil plug, must have been a crack in it, because that sucker gave me a serious jolt, hit my head on the hood
ft laud mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
RAMMAN
CF Senior Member

I have several vehicles that I only drive once in a while; sometimes they sit for six months. Battery Tender is the way to go, just plug it in and its always ready to go.
RAMMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #29
slant
CF Senior Member

I will never have a FB account I will never have a twatter account Who plays these as an adult ? Who plays these as an adult ?

What happened to the OP ?
slant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
3D87C4
CF Senior Member

Electrocuted, as in killed? Don't know. But the thing about DC current is it'll paralyse you:

30 years ago I was stopped at a light in my VW. Light changes and the guy in front of me doesn't move. I shove on the metal horn button & discover the hard way it's at battery voltage. Current flows from the horn button, through my arm, to the chrome window trim. Horn's blaring, guy goes, but I can't move my arm!!! While I'm mulling that over, the yahoos behind me rear-end me & break the circuit. It was too light a tap to even bother looking for damage so off I went, cursing all concerned.
3D87C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #31
Mastertvtech
CF Senior Member

When CRT sets were popular it was a regular occurence for me to get shocked....Usually in the xx KV range with low current, and you never get used to it (nor fear it) unfortunately.
Mastertvtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #32
JackDidley
CF Senior Member

Had my *** shocked off a few times from spark plug wires. Of course the coil turns that 12 volts from the battery into 40,000 volts.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
important
CF Senior Member

Heres what I've gathered:

Is more likely that I would suffer a burn (as opposed to getting electrocuted) as a result of wearing a conductive material: rings, watches etc.

Disconnect the negative first.

Dont handle the terminals with wet skin, perspiration etc.

Wear safety glasses/goggles.

Ground myself before honking at people.

Questions:

With regards to metal contact, I use a ratchet to undo the nut on the terminals, any issue there?

Once the terminal is loose, I usually just remove it with my bare hand, is that a potential hazard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC1 View Post
So you can't really electrocute yourself from a car battery, but you can hurt yourself from burns, etc., if you are holding onto some metal that makes low-resistance path between the battery poles.

That's one reason to remove any rings, wristwatches, etc., when working near a battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSeery View Post
ALWAYS remove the negative terminal first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondami View Post
No it you touch both terminals at the same time with something conductive you can actually blow it up. or get a ring between a wrench on the postive side and a metal part of the car yes it will burn you badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj02vette View Post
However, there is a dangerous amount of stored energy. If you put something across there that is conductive (eg, drop a ratchet across the battery terminals), then you'll get a large release of energy that could slightly burn you if you're holding the ratchet.
Quote:
if your skin is wet, DO NOT touch both battery terminals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Notch View Post
I know a guy who is blind because he jump started a tractor and the batter blew up in his face. Wear safety goggles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4DC View Post
I was charging a battery with an strong charger. Left it on too long and was smelling that ionized smell in the air, went to disconnect it without unplugging it first and the little spark from removing the clamp set it off. It blew up in my face/upper body. Like an M80 with a hot acid shower. Ran over to the faucet and hosed all the acid off and was no worse for the wear. I thought I'd feel some burning at the minimum. Dodged a bullet on that one. Guys at the auto parts store never saw a battery trade in like that one; it was split from top to bottom and side to side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D87C4 View Post
Electrocuted, as in killed? Don't know. But the thing about DC current is it'll paralyse you:

30 years ago I was stopped at a light in my VW. Light changes and the guy in front of me doesn't move. I shove on the metal horn button & discover the hard way it's at battery voltage. Current flows from the horn button, through my arm, to the chrome window trim. Horn's blaring, guy goes, but I can't move my arm!!! While I'm mulling that over, the yahoos behind me rear-end me & break the circuit. It was too light a tap to even bother looking for damage so off I went, cursing all concerned.
important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #34
slant
CF Senior Member

I will never have a FB account I will never have a twatter account Who plays these as an adult ? Who plays these as an adult ?

Quote:

Once the terminal is loose, I usually just remove it with my bare hand, is that a potential hazard?

None
Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #35
3D87C4
CF Senior Member

Quote:

Ground myself before honking at people.
I missed that the first time I read your post

Quote:

With regards to metal contact, I use a ratchet to undo the nut on the terminals, any issue there?

Same VW: the battery was under the back seat. For some reason I was tightening or loosening the + terminal with a wrench and it touched the frame of the seat---big arc, lots of noise, flame, and smoke!!!

Don't complete the circuit with your tools or body & you'll be fine. (Guess that's why people keep recommending undoing the ground lead first, eh?)
3D87C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #36
nj02vette
CF Senior Member

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ

Quote:
if your skin is wet, DO NOT touch both battery terminals.. you have less resistance, and the current even at the low voltage can flow through your body.. and the hundreds of amps it can generate will fry you internal organs.
No you're flat our wrong. My only hope was your comment was in jest.

Wet skin, even worse sweat (which is saltwater), is still a very poor conductor of electricity. But let's still examine your ridiculous scenerio. Let's say your hands are soaking wet. You grab each battery terminal with both hands. The current will flow through the lowered resistance of the water, then through your same body resistance (internal organs) and back out the other hand. It would be no different if you had two copper wires in each hand and then touched the battery terminals. Your internal resistance hasn't changed, so no organs can possibly get cooked.

But we don't have to guess. There's plenty of data out there for electrical safety with dry and wet operators. A realistic estimate for a wet finger resistance is 4k ohm. Even if say your entire arm was wet with sweat and went across both contact points, let's even say the entire circuit would be 500ohms.

12V/500ohms is only 12mA. There's just not enough voltage to cause much current. 12mA of current can be felt, but just barely. At worst you'll notice a slight tingling. You also won't have any motor control issues because the current path is on the surface of the skin, not through the arm.

So if it was a joke, I bit. But if not, then that's pretty bad info there.
nj02vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #37
slant
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj02vette View Post
No you're flat our wrong. My only hope was your comment was in jest.

Wet skin, even worse sweat (which is saltwater), is still a very poor conductor of electricity. But let's still examine your ridiculous scenerio. Let's say your hands are soaking wet. You grab each battery terminal with both hands. The current will flow through the lowered resistance of the water, then through your same body resistance (internal organs) and back out the other hand. It would be no different if you had two copper wires in each hand and then touched the battery terminals. Your internal resistance hasn't changed, so no organs can possibly get cooked.

But we don't have to guess. There's plenty of data out there for electrical safety with dry and wet operators. A realistic estimate for a wet finger resistance is 4k ohm. Even if say your entire arm was wet with sweat and went across both contact points, let's even say the entire circuit would be 500ohms.

12V/500ohms is only 12mA. There's just not enough voltage to cause much current. 12mA of current can be felt, but just barely. At worst you'll notice a slight tingling. You also won't have any motor control issues because the current path is on the surface of the skin, not through the arm.

So if it was a joke, I bit. But if not, then that's pretty bad info there.

If you are dumb enough to think you could get electrocuted , well , you should just not do anything mechanical.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #38
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Did not read this whole thread what I will say, always put the positive battery post on the charger first, then the negative, this will eliminate the sparks and make it less possibly for an explosion..
jmc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #39
2000BSME
CF Senior Member

Wow. There are a lot of know-nothing replies itt. Voltage isn't what kills, amperage is. A car battery can kill you very dead.
2000BSME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #40
2000BSME
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft laud mike View Post

Battery- not enough amperage to kill
One time I pushed down on the coil plug, must have been a crack in it, because that sucker gave me a serious jolt, hit my head on the hood
It takes less than an amp to kill/stop the heart. Don't spread this misinformation.
2000BSME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Can I get electrocuted from a car battery?