Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Gary04Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Gary04Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: St. louis, MO
Default [guns]setting up a guitar case for AR-15

So I picked up am older Fender case I want to setup for an AR, maybe some mags. I found the foam online that is used in standard rifle cases, like Pelicans. Anyone ever convert a guitar case before? Trying to decide if I should rip out the interior and use the foam with cutouts for the rifle, maybe cover the foam in the same material as the lining if I can find it? Keep the interior guitar like or abandon the guitar them and just do the foam?
Not one like in the movie Desperado.
Case basically looks like this, I can take some pics tomorrow.
Click the image to open in full size.

Found this image (different case than mine) but shows just the foam interior: (probably the easiest)
Click the image to open in full size.

Closet image I could find leaving the interior. maybe just add some straps to hold things down?
Click the image to open in full size.
Gary04Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
DVNTST8
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09
 
DVNTST8's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: if you have a ? on my avatar, please contact me directly, you spineless twit
dvnt_st8
Default

Il Mariachi
DVNTST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
NuckinFutz93
CF Senior Member
 
NuckinFutz93's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Murphy NC
Default

I just removed the stock linings and filled my electric piano case with cut out foam for my 460s. It has worked great for 4 years and I have drug them everywhere.
NuckinFutz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
C7Joy
CF Senior Member
 
C7Joy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Default

Never thought about doing that but the shape seems very practical for the purpose, especially adding mags and other accessories. Good stealth too!
C7Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
The JOe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'12
 
The JOe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Formerly Texas Bulldog
Default

I made one for a friend a while ago. It wasn't the good pelican foam that plucked out but i did have a electric bow cutter (i cut foam wings for RC planes).

He made a disaster of it and asked me if i could make one after his home was robbed and his gun safe wasn't large enough to hold his quite valuable collection. We lived in a nice neighborhood and i would see him pull guns out to go shooting and always thought it was stupid and kind of flashing to the anti gunners in CA. Although he always loaded his truck to go shooting in the garage after that he did use the guitar case and i even made other instrument cases for him lol...

He took off his NRA stickers and other shooting stickers off his truck asap too... Sadly like anything of value its always best to be low key.

JOe
The JOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Gary04Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Gary04Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: St. louis, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckinFutz93 View Post
I just removed the stock linings and filled my electric piano case with cut out foam for my 460s. It has worked great for 4 years and I have drug them everywhere.
Probably the easiest way to do it.
Gary04Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
ProfMoriarty
CF Senior Member
 
ProfMoriarty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Default

Breaking an AR15 style carbine into upper and lower receiver assemblies and using a plastic HD toolbox is another option.
ProfMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Gary04Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Gary04Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: St. louis, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bulldog View Post
I made one for a friend a while ago. It wasn't the good pelican foam that plucked out but i did have a electric bow cutter (i cut foam wings for RC planes).

He made a disaster of it and asked me if i could make one after his home was robbed and his gun safe wasn't large enough to hold his quite valuable collection. We lived in a nice neighborhood and i would see him pull guns out to go shooting and always thought it was stupid and kind of flashing to the anti gunners in CA. Although he always loaded his truck to go shooting in the garage after that he did use the guitar case and i even made other instrument cases for him lol...

He took off his NRA stickers and other shooting stickers off his truck asap too... Sadly like anything of value its always best to be low key.

JOe
That's one of the reasons I am doing it, little stealth. Still get the people that want to steal guitars.
Found this place that has flat foam and will cut to size. I'll just need to cut out for the AR.
http://www.custom-foam-inserts.com/trace-parts.htm
They have several types of foam too.
Gary04Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
1Patriot
CF Senior Member
 
1Patriot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Evans, GA
Default

Seran wrap and spray foam. The fit will be perfect.
1Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Gary04Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Gary04Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: St. louis, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
Seran wrap and spray foam. The fit will be perfect.
I was wodnering how well that would work...have you done it? Pics?
Gary04Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
ProfMoriarty
CF Senior Member
 
ProfMoriarty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary04Z06 View Post
I was wodnering how well that would work...have you done it? Pics?
I don't know of any spray foam that remains pliable after curing and doesn't chip and abrade at the edges leaving powdery crap, but maybe there's something available.
ProfMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
lite blue
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
 
lite blue's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: The light that never warms
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
Breaking an AR15 style carbine into upper and lower receiver assemblies and using a plastic HD toolbox is another option.
I was thinking about this the other day. Saw some tennis racket cases at a sporting goods store. Seems like it would be a good low key way to transport.
lite blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
ProfMoriarty
CF Senior Member
 
ProfMoriarty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite blue View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. Saw some tennis racket cases at a sporting goods store. Seems like it would be a good low key way to transport.
I've used a polymer HD toolbox. I don't bother with it anymore, but it worked fine.

Line the bottom with foam padding and cut additional foam rectangles to separate the "halves."
ProfMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
~Josh
CF Senior Member
 
~Josh's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Outside the box
Default

Make your you have plenty of mags and maybe a spot for a bulk ammo box.

Having just the gun and maybe 2 mags is only enough to get you pinned down and ready to die.
~Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
ProfMoriarty
CF Senior Member
 
ProfMoriarty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Joshua View Post
Make your you have plenty of mags and maybe a spot for a bulk ammo box.

Having just the gun and maybe 2 mags is only enough to get you pinned down and ready to die.
Alrightythen
ProfMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
bonnevillebill
CF Senior Member
 
bonnevillebill's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Default

How are you going to pull the trigger with the case still closed? And where do the spent casings wind up?
bonnevillebill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Gary04Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Gary04Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: St. louis, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnevillebill View Post
How are you going to pull the trigger with the case still closed? And where do the spent casings wind up?
Not setting it up to shot from. Just transport.
Gary04Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Gary04Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Gary04Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: St. louis, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Joshua View Post
Make your you have plenty of mags and maybe a spot for a bulk ammo box.

Having just the gun and maybe 2 mags is only enough to get you pinned down and ready to die.
Couldn't fit enough ammo in there for going to the range.
Only going to put 2-3 mags in there with it, have a backup supply in ammo cans, and mag pouches with a "few" mags ready to go.
Gary04Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
PittMD1
CF Senior Member
 
PittMD1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Anthem AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Joshua View Post
Make your you have plenty of mags and maybe a spot for a bulk ammo box.

Having just the gun and maybe 2 mags is only enough to get you pinned down and ready to die.
I am not a anti gun guy have several of my own BUT...Why would you need that kind of fire power for walking around?
PittMD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
AGVI
CF Senior Member
Canadian Events Coordinator
 
AGVI's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Science Bitch! Mississauga, Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittMD1 View Post
I am not a anti gun guy have several of my own BUT...Why would you need that kind of fire power for walking around?
good point
AGVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page [guns]setting up a guitar case for AR-15
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap Guitars... C5North Off Topic 15 08-09-2014 08:57 AM
WTT: Guitar for Wheels? jfaxas Southern California 0 10-12-2013 12:47 AM
[Guitars] Got rid of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe NotSlo Off Topic 13 05-18-2013 11:46 AM
[Guitars] Anybody used a Tremel-No to lock a floating trem down? DJ_Critterus Off Topic 13 03-13-2013 01:04 PM
{Lighter Side} Gibson Guitar's Top 10 Guitar Solos Matter Politics, Religion & Controversy 24 12-24-2012 09:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Emails & Password Backup