Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
minitech
CF Senior Member

Default Safely heating a garage in winter?

What is the best way for some temporary heat? Do those torpedo heaters work and how do you use one? Have the heater outside and blow heated air in? Have the heater inside? How do you deal with the CO?
minitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?
Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man

How big of a garage? Insulated or not?
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
noonie
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitech View Post
What is the best way for some temporary heat? Do those torpedo heaters work and how do you use one? Have the heater outside and blow heated air in? Have the heater inside? How do you deal with the CO?
You get a headache,
although cleaner fuel is better.
noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
minitech
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
How big of a garage? Insulated or not?
30 X 30 section of a pole barn, not insulated
minitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
DVNTST8
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Location: if you have a ? on my avatar, please contact me directly, you spineless twit
dvnt_st8

Quote:

Set the hay or straw on fire, should heat for a couple of hours, at least.
DVNTST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
The Cripp
CF Senior Member

Insulation is your friend.

It soon pays for itself.
The Cripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Mod75
CF Senior Member

I use a torpedo heater, smell is not that bad. You have to get it close to the object your heating up.
My uninsulated garage 30X27 never does really heat up. The torpedo heater needs to be 5-10 feet away from you to produce any heat.
I also use an old electric blanket wrapped in plastic for some projects.

Would like to hear from some other guys with electric wall heaters.
Mod75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
pentavolvo
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I run a 220 electric wall heater. Its this heater, just 20 years old. My garage is well insulated and it works awesome

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/muh0521.htm
pentavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
LarryMJones
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

With the torpedo heaters you have to leave a door open. Just read the instructions.

Only safe way to heat is with a vented to the outside heater. A suspended unit heater is about the least expensive way to accomplish this.

LJ
LarryMJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
dstiger
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
I have a 30 by 50 3 pole barn- with a man cave (enclosed climate controlled in one section/corner).

It is channel drain (steel sheet) sides and roof with a concrete floor otherwise.

The is NOTHING I can do to heat or cool that open (non man cave area) space. Essentially it allows me to keep rain/ dew off my stuff. Otherwise it is as the outside- cold and hot.

I would love to insulate- but really have hit dead ends on my search for a practical and reasonably priced solution.

In dire times- of extreeme cold- I put space heaters but they do not work, and I have used the Kerosene "jet heaters" but they are noisy, CO emit in closed space and run 30 bucks worth of fuel a night.

My .02
dstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
BobbyC3
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I just burn oily rags.
BobbyC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Stanley Distribution
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstiger View Post
I have a 30 by 50 3 pole barn- with a man cave (enclosed climate controlled in one section/corner).

It is channel drain (steel sheet) sides and roof with a concrete floor otherwise.

The is NOTHING I can do to heat or cool that open (non man cave area) space. Essentially it allows me to keep rain/ dew off my stuff. Otherwise it is as the outside- cold and hot.

I would love to insulate- but really have hit dead ends on my search for a practical and reasonably priced solution.

In dire times- of extreeme cold- I put space heaters but they do not work, and I have used the Kerosene "jet heaters" but they are noisy, CO emit in closed space and run 30 bucks worth of fuel a night.

My .02
I have a 30x60 metal hanger style shop. It's insulated with 2" of spray in and I wish it had 6" or more. I cool it with the largest size window mount swamp cooler. It has a gas furnace that is currently not working. When it did work it heated the shop just fine to 80 in the dead of winter if I wanted but made the gas bill pretty high. I spent some time closing up all the holes with expanding foam when we moved in.

I do a lot of work during the summer late at night and the swamp cooler works good then.

There is a company that makes vac insulated glass beads that you put in paint that makes it have insulation value. You should try some of that.
Stanley Distribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

It was 80 in Houston today. I am not qualified to even GUESS.
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
1911fool
CF Senior Member

I tried a brinkman charcoal grill once about 25 years ago in a one car garage. I was laying under the car working. I noticed it kept getting darker and darker in the garage. I crawled from under the car and the garage was filled with smoke. I opened the garage door about the same time the fire department showed up. My neighbors saw smoke pouring out around the garage door and called the fire department. That incident is probably number 2 on my stupid stunt list.
1911fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fool View Post
I tried a brinkman charcoal grill once about 25 years ago in a one car garage. I was laying under the car working. I noticed it kept getting darker and darker in the garage. I crawled from under the car and the garage was filled with smoke. I opened the garage door about the same time the fire department showed up. My neighbors saw smoke pouring out around the garage door and called the fire department. That incident is probably number 2 on my stupid stunt list.
Damn funny. I did a similar thing as a kid in Pittsburgh. My and my buddies built and igloo and stuck a hibachi in it to keep warm. Within seconds of lighting it, we came flying out of the door from fumes and smoke.
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
journeymen
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMJones View Post
With the torpedo heaters you have to leave a door open. Just read the instructions.

Only safe way to heat is with a vented to the outside heater. A suspended unit heater is about the least expensive way to accomplish this.

LJ

You may try a heat pump but you're talking $$$ in equipment and install. You may try electric resistance heaters but you're talking $$$ in utilities.
Both are perfectly safe from CO buildup except the resistance heaters if you are using VOCs or solvents in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fool View Post

With all of the firearms in your avatar, it begs the question: What was#1 on the stupid stunt list? :
journeymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
tex929rrr
CF Senior Member

Kerosene heaters work great and a couple of those could heat that area. Mine will run about 24 hours on a full load of fuel. I also have a wood stove in my 40 x 60 shop, but it's insulated. Either method takes a while to get that area warm.

And look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=26

Last edited by tex929rrr; 12-10-2012 at 06:53 AM.
tex929rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #18
C7Joy
CF Senior Member

I have a large, un-insulated garage and have used the torpedo heater to provide temporary heat. I found it very effective for taking the chill off while I worked on my car, or whatever. I found that the heater gets a little smelly when fuel runs low but never had any trouble with it.

Most of the time I just use a little electric space heater for temporary comfort these days.
C7Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Railroadman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I got a propane-fired heater from the orange and black box store last winter. Worked pretty good, it's a fairly clean burn so no smoke. I'm sure it still puts out some monoxide but overall it's not bad with a little ventilation.

Charcoal in an enclosed space is a cheap and effective way to obtain wings and a harp.
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
Gary79
CF Senior Member

my FIL had a 30 x 30 garage( 2 stalls w/ garage doors and shop area on the north end). he put a little pot belly stove in the middle stall, and it worked pretty good. all flammables were kept outside. I supplied him with old cedar tel poles, cut and chopped up. they burnt fast but also heated up the garage fast. FIL had a bad heart, late 40's, but he loved to tinker in the garage, former machinist(home schooled). he'd go out there for 2-3 hours a day, and putz around. I think it made him feel better about himself and his physical condition. he had 2 open heart surgeries. the last one, they gave him about 10% survival rate. he backed off it for about a month, then said "WTH?" and did it. he lived about another 10 yrs after that. sorry, got a little off topic.
Gary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Safely heating a garage in winter?