Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #81
PartTimeGenius
CF Senior Member

Notes for those of you playing along at home:
1) Same residence (apartment) for 12 years. Electric bills average around $130.00 a month. Last month's bill was for $398.00 and the one due on 3/4/13 is for $426.00.
2) I'm a tightwad (out of necessity, unfortunately). The thermostat has been turned off for the better part of three months. North Texas winters aren't what you'd call brutal...
3) I have no idea where the apartment complex's meters are. More about that later.
4) There's no heat pump.

I spent another hour on the phone with TXU yeterday, but this time I asked the regular rep to let me talk to a supervisor, so she transferred me to "Linda".

Linda informed me that the complex had replaced the old meters with new SmartMeters about two years ago. I asked her what she thought about the past average dollar amount on my electric bills, and she agreed that the most current ones seemed to be anomalous. I also asked if my meter readings were somehow getting mixed up with someone else's, and she said that was a possibiity.

Long story short, she's going to send someone out to read the meters with me watching, she has moved the due date of the bill to 3/15/13 because the utility needs up to 10 days for meter rechecks. In addition, she has issued a $60.00 credit to my account.

Here's the really weird part: she says their system shows my next bill (due in April) should be under $100.00. Just another reason why I think the issue lies elsewhere.
PartTimeGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #82
greg454
CF Senior Member

This is an apartment??? Wow somethings not right. Sounds like they mixed up your bill with the clubhouse or something....
greg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #83
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcatt View Post
Could be a hot water leak. I had one and it tripled my electric bill. Was a pain to trace down and fix.
THAT is a good thought, happened to a neighbor friend, his house had a hot water pipe burst in the slab, and sure enough, being old galvanized pipe, you could not hear the water running, but it shot his electric and water bills high, really HIGH.....we even changed water heaters because he could never get enough hot water.....washed out a hell of a lot of dirt from under his house,

I moved here, and they were changing out the water meters at the street, for the RF kind, and so I went look at it, and it was running, I cut the water to the house, and sure enough.....

I replumbed the house....

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #84
Stanley Distribution
CF Senior Member

It doesn't say "marijuana grow house" some where you look for new wireless networks does it?
Stanley Distribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #85
1Sweet66
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeGenius View Post
along at home:
1) Same residence (apartment) for 12 years. Electric bills
Sounds like someone has tapped into your service somewhere. How big of an apartment complex are you in? Can you find the electric meter? May be a big bank of them, one for each apartment. See if there is a utility room / mechanical room. Follow your lead in from the meter and see if anyone has tapped into it. May be hard to do. Again, turn off everything in your place and see if the meter is registering flow. Do this a couple of times on different days. Space heaters and such may not be running at all times. Do it when your neighbors are home.
edit: Next months lower bill may be a result from a discussion you had with a neighbor about high electric bills. He may have been stealing you power and he disconnected it. He did not want to get caught. Something to think about.
1Sweet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #86
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I don't honestly think you could steal that much through an extension cord. I could buy into the mixed up meter theory, but you'd need a lot of cords to steal that much power. Furthermore, his normal bill is 1/3 that much, so how many people would have to run their entire place off his electric? Something else is wrong.

I'm thinking the mixed up meter thing is the excuse, and you'll be getting a big credit back. Your bill should have the meter number on it. Take that and compare to the meter itself. They would be outside the building somewhere.

And about these "Smartmeters"? Are these linked into some system of theirs so they do not read meters anymore? Mine is that way, I thought the entire country had done that. If so, I see no reason why they would not have data more recent than 10 days...

edit...
Oh and on the mixed up meter thing, that could easily explain why the bill is so high. The mixed up meter in question might not even be within miles of you. Could be across town for all you know.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 03-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.
K-Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #87
UniqueDoug
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeGenius View Post

Long story short, she's going to send someone out to read the meters with me watching, she has moved the due date of the bill to 3/15/13 because the utility needs up to 10 days for meter rechecks. In addition, she has issued a $60.00 credit to my account.

Here's the really weird part: she says their system shows my next bill (due in April) should be under $100.00. Just another reason why I think the issue lies elsewhere.
Keep us posted.
UniqueDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #88
TJay74
CF Senior Member

Switched meters are possible, especially when you are in the middle of mass meter change out during a deployment process. I have dealt it several times over the years.

Easy enough to find out and fix, basically see what meter base goes to your unit, then see what meter # is in the base and see if it matches the meter # in the TXU billing system. If it does, then once again the issue will be on the customer side of the meter. If it doesnt match then TXU will have to go all the way back to the point of the switched meter and rebill both accounts that are affected.

Usually in a switched meter situation when the billing is corrected one customer ends up with a credit, the other with a large bill. Best case senario is that both addresses end up close to zero.
TJay74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #89
FLUFFY-FOOFOO
CF Senior Member

I have no clue.
But since you are a part time genius let us know when you clock in.
FLUFFY-FOOFOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Huge, unexplained increase in electric bill. WWCFOTD?