Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Todd157k
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoger View Post
Mecum has the worst cars evar. They must get every POS camero and chevelle that was ever made and keep reselling them. I was looking at the car list for KC and it was nothing but chevy and ford. Dime a dozen craprods that only fat, over the hill ******* wanting to believe they are still in high school would ever buy.
1. It's Camaro (figuring the 'evar' was gangsta)
2. Ford & Chevy represent the largest hot rod/street rod market in the world
3. Old farts are the only ones that can afford them and because of the old farts buying them, the market is constantly increasing in value. It's a thing called "supply and demand".
4. What were you looking for... Honda?
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
sixty4
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

They are going to NBC from what I hear.
sixty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
jcsperson
CF Senior Member
NC Events Coordinator

The genre is getting tired, imo.

They have also branched out into too many oddball customs, trucks, weirdmobiles and dubious "classics." If I want to see $12,000 C4s I can look at Craigslist.

The screaming Mecum nitwits out working the crowd is wearing thin too.
jcsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Autoworker
CF Senior Member

I DVR the whole auction and skip commercials and cars that don't interest me. You can go through 3 hours in about an hour.
Autoworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #25
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
Mecum beats the hell out of Barrett Jackson. I hope it still televised.
Don-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
bgad
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworker View Post
I DVR the whole auction and skip commercials and cars that don't interest me. You can go through 3 hours in about an hour.

The only way to fly!!
bgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
GTrain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Mecum has the worst cars evar. They must get every POS camero and chevelle that was ever made and keep reselling them. I was looking at the car list for KC and it was nothing but chevy and ford. Dime a dozen craprods that only fat, over the hill ******* wanting to believe they are still in high school would ever buy.
GTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
kevins5219

Default Dana Mecum to announce details 12/7

Hi fans, Dana Mecum here. Tune in to Velocity Saturday, December 7 while we're live from #KansasCity. I will personally announce the all-new TV schedule for #Mecum Auctions. BIG NEWS is headed your way!!

- The Dealmaker

I wish they could also add some sort of option so you can turn down the volume of the auctioneers and listen to the narration or visa versa.
Yes my TV has a volume control... but listening to an auctioneer for 4 hours starts to get on my wifes nerves and mine for that matter

Last edited by kevins5219; 11-27-2013 at 10:11 AM.
kevins5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #29
bub
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4 View Post
They are going to NBC from what I hear.
Bad move IMO if this is indeed true. NBC will drop them like a bad habit when ratings fall. Velocity coverage was good, real car guys.

They'll probably get Bruce Jenner or some other "celebrity" car novice to host and it will be total crap.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #30
bub
CF Senior Member

I noticed on Mecum's Facebook page they show a recent "like" of "NBC Sports", so the NBC rumor may have legs. Very, very bad call IMO.

Bigger network, but in no way better. Mainstream media...Car guys...really?...Prius drivers probably....

Wonder what happens to Kraman who works for Mecum but does the Velocity broadcasts.

We'll at least still have Wheeler Dealers on Velocity

Last edited by bub; 11-27-2013 at 06:54 PM.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #31
sixty4
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins5219 View Post
Hi fans, Dana Mecum here. Tune in to Velocity Saturday, December 7 while we're live from #KansasCity. I will personally announce the all-new TV schedule for #Mecum Auctions. BIG NEWS is headed your way!!

- The Dealmaker

I wish they could also add some sort of option so you can turn down the volume of the auctioneers and listen to the narration or visa versa.
Yes my TV has a volume control... but listening to an auctioneer for 4 hours starts to get on my wifes nerves and mine for that matter
I am not sure if you are Dana or not? However its a great move going to what I suspect will be NBC. The question is could this be a way into the North East for Mecum in the future (in prime time), if so its brilliant and long overdue! Not really expecting an answer but keep up the good work!
sixty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
gr8corvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a TV show. Does MECUM get paid from Velocity for each show?
Or was it just one long infomercial that MECUM paid Velocity to televise?

It usually boils down to money!
gr8corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #33
Car mania

Default Just a car guy

I simply like watching any shows about cars, good or bad they are way better than most other shows on these days. I prefer the Mecum auctions because they have more realistic prices and cars, Dana Mecum is a more down to earth person than Craig Jackson who comes across a bit like a snob. But if you like the high end fantasy cars then Barrett Jackson auctions are very entertaining. I don't care what network Dana is moving to, I will still try to watch as much as possible.
Car mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
faithie999

if mecum is in fact moving to "NBC", it's probably the NBC sports network, the old Versus channel.

Velocity, the old HD Network, is only available in HD which means that if folks don't have an HD pkg from satellite or cable, they can't get it at all. according to wikipedia, nbc sports network is received in almost 78 million households, while velocity is received in about 50 million.

the only thing that stands out from "Dana's" Facebook post is that he would be announcing on Velocity's air that he is bolting to the competition.
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #35
j-wireman
CF Senior Member

Quote:
WOW. Watch out. You'll be one of those "fat, over the hill *******" one day---if you live long enough. Twenty-somethings die every day.

Apparently, you need to go back to watching those brain-stimulating "reality" shows like "Big Brother" or "Celebrity Rehab". Or, you could go back to watching Jerry Springer. Now, there's high-quality television to keep you entertained.
j-wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #36
strand rider
CF Senior Member

I wouldn't ever worry about that kind of situation. I can't think of a cheaper show to put on unless it is slow TV, fireplaces, tropical fish, stuff like that. It will be on somewhere.

I do find it astoundingly entertaining the price of attempting to recapturing lost youth via muscle cars. I understand it well, having reflected on my various collected items. The ones from my teen age years resonate the strongest.

Still, Those muscle cars were crap, unless you wanted to drag. . Fun but not worth big money to me. Makes for entertaining situations Value verses cost is usually entertaining, because value is subjective, cost is known.
strand rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #37
ProfMoriarty
CF Senior Member

Wherever they move, the show needs to hire a different sound engineer.

The current one broadcasts the auctioneer chatter at nearly the same volume as the commentators.
ProfMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #38
j-wireman
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty View Post
Wherever they move, the show needs to hire a different sound engineer.

The current one broadcasts the auctioneer chatter at nearly the same volume as the commentators.
Makes it very hard to hear what the commentators are saying about the vehicle. The story, or the facts, are ALWAYS more important than the "bde-bde-bde-bde-SOLD" chatter.
j-wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #39
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member

Dana Mecum just announced it is going to NBC Sports for 2014
Bluestripe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #40
Vettebuyer5869

Just announced they are moving to NBC Sports starting with the Kissimmee show. 48 hours coverage.

Stay tuned.
Vettebuyer5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page So, is Mecum Auctions leaving Velocity?