Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!

Dear Forum members,

This thread is Z06 specific as it relates directly to the Z06’s performance.

Before getting into the details of the Z06 vs. GT-R comparison, I urge everybody that participates in this thread to be respectful and embrace what each car offers rather than turning this into a pissing contest. It’s hard to have a constructive conversation if the thread gets locked.

Setting the Stage

Frank and Michael (Wanderer Z06 and his son), made the trek from Rochester, NY to Joliet, IL last week. They arrived a few days early to enjoy the sights. Wouldn’t you know it, the forecast called for rain. Our luck, not only did it rain, but it was one of the hardest storms we’ve had all year.

Autobahn Country Club Sunday Morning

It rained all weekend and temps were in the mid 60’s.

We were not to be denied. Frank fell off his rocker and granted me permission to pilot the GT-R onto the track that was not only wet, but had standing water as well.

Before going on track, I drove the GT-R around the paddock briefly to get a feel for the car. I tried sliding it with throttle and trailbraking. This wasn’t my idea of ideal testing conditions but darn it after such a long haul, we were taking this car out!

Frank rode with me first. After getting the go ahead from the starter we departed North pit lane and stayed within the blend line. The first lap was to warm up the car and show Frank the track. After the first lap it was time to drive it best I could considering we were in a lake.

The car handled beautifully in the rain. I achieved speeds just shy of 100MPH in areas that would normally post 125MPH. One of the track Pros (IRL Licensed) later on squeezed out a few more MPH.

20 minutes later I took Michael out, his first time ever on a road course. I picked up the pace and devilishly smiled as he searched for support to brace himself. I don’t know why but I still get a thrill when my passengers turn into white knuckle monkey riders. I found a few more MPH with Michael but conditions wouldn’t allow any real worthy findings.

The GT-R with all-wheel drive was very impressive and did a superb job staying on the track despite a few quick needed steering corrections. I did not bring out my Z06 as this contest in the rain would have been futile with rear wheel drive.

It seemed the weather was not going to cooperate to allow a real comparison.

Frank feverishly ranted aloud a few different thoughts, but all relating to staying longer!

He talked with Michael and me about different scenarios seeing how we could make our schedules coincide. Later that night he juggled his schedule and we were back on for Wednesday! The forecast called for mid 70s and sunshine.

Wednesday back at Autobahn Country Club

Wednesday ended up being the perfect day. We decided to get the cars out after the corner worker lunch break.

With sunshine hitting the track I took Michael out in The GT-R, this time on South track. This was my first time driving the car on dry pavement and it did not disappoint.

Here are my observations after driving both cars on track the same day!

The Z06 sounds like a top fuelie dragster compared to the GT-R. After driving the GT-R on track, we had the same track Pro from Sunday drive it too. All I could hear was tire screeching. This car definitely needs an exhaust, Frank and Michael agreed.

The Z06 has more down low grunt and is able to come out of the corners with more torque. The GT-R has a very nice paddle shift setup which blips the throttle when you put it in R mode. You have to modulate the throttle in the Z06 whereas the GT-R you can more or less mash it. The Z06 is clearly faster in a straight line but requires perfect shifts to maintain that advantage. The GT-R is flawless every time as there is really no way to miss a shift. The GT-R will pull more consistent 60’ times than the Z06 unless your a driver like Ranger. This really isn’t a factor in road racing.

The Z06 turns in a little better than the GT-R as far as trailbraking. With its all-wheel drive and heavier weight, the GT-R has a tendency to understeer (push). This makes it harder to rotate the car around turns.

The interior of the GT-R is an audio/video wonderland. It has a myriad of screens you can select and although it seems busy initially, I was able to navigate it after a 5 minute review with Michael. You can actually make your own homepage with any gauges you want, very nice for racing.

A few worthy mentions

My Z06 has coilovers and sway bars but negating that are the front tires which are half worn and the rears almost toast. I feel this put the car pretty close to times I have run when it was with fresh tires being bone stock. The Goodyear EMTs really lose a lot once they start to wear.

The GT-R was as fresh off the factory floor as it could be. The GT-R’s tires are significantly better than the Z06’s. I feel this was one of the main differences in performance.

Which one is the better car?

I really believe these are two different cars, both being fantastic. Those that own both have the two best performing daily driver cars for the money today. I believe the GT-R well please the Porsche 911 lover far more than the Z06 enthusiast. The Z06 is pure adrenaline where the GT-R is a refined technological marvel.

The GT-R is hands down easier for a beginner to drive on track. I think we may see Z06s getting trumped more so because of driver ability. This takes nothing away from the GT-R, just stating how advanced it is.

I am still baffled how well the GT-R performs on track given its weight. It doesn’t feel as quick as the Z06 from inside the cabin, but it hauls the mail just as fast.

Both cars hit 120MPH on the same given straight section of track.

The Z06 bested the GT-R by 0.30 seconds on a 2.1 mile track.

There was so much more planned in terms of running different tires, getting video and more track segment comparisons but Wednesday didn't allow for that kind of preparation as Sunday would have.

One other mention is I have had countless hours in Z06s and very few in the GT-R. I’m sure I can extract more time from it when Frank brings it back again, right Frank?

I want to personally thank Frank and Michael for trusting me with their new car. They are both two special people. I was flattered with the opportunity and made two great friends in the process. That was the real win!

Here a few pics pics I hope you will enjoy!

Fire away any questions and I will try to be as unbiased as possible.

Mike
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you trade in your Z06 for a GT-R...? It would be great to have both, but if you had to pick one which would be...?
Old 09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Nice write up seems fair and balanced.

Thank you,
Tim
Old 09-19-2008, 11:35 PM
JBHunter
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

One Exotic dealer in AR has a Nissan GTR for sale for about $94,500...

A new 2008 or 2009 Z06 can be bought for approx $65,000 to 69,000 at MANY Forum Sponsored dealers

I HIGHLY DOUBT a Nisan GTR is worth $1 over a Z06 in ANY circumstance...my opinion...

To each their own...

I guess someone will buy one...not me...not even if the price was $1 less
Old 09-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Nice write up & pictures!

Ron
Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking forward to some results from your guys event. I am glad you and Frank were able to get some time on the track.

It was funny when the guys said that a much heavier GTR with less power would not stand a chance. The car really impress everybody that drives it.

So test was not a complete OEM comparison. Right? After-market suspension on the Z06?

Is there more comparison results coming?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Both are great cars IMO. We are fortunate to have the close competition between manufactures ... that's what drives them to continually improve their cars.

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

Both cars hit 120MPH on the same given straight section of track.

The Z06 bested the GT-R by 0.30 seconds on a 2.1 mile track.
Looks like on the track it will come down to car setups and driver skill in the end.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 09-20-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Very nice piece Mike...you should write for one of the car mags
Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 AM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

great job and thanks for the write up...
Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 805Z06

So test was not a complete OEM comparison. Right? After-market suspension on the Z06?
Yes, and the worn tires are not oem either.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RoatanMan
Would you trade in your Z06 for a GT-R...? It would be great to have both, but if you had to pick one which would be...?

Good questions.

Living in Chicago it's almost impossible to own only a Corvette during winter. I know some people drive them all year round, but I'm more fearful of getting dinged by someone driving too fast on the ice than the car not performing in inclement weather.

Only being able to afford one car? The GT-R does offer all-wheel drive. It seems it would be a great car even if the snow where to fall. I guess we'll have to wait and hear from Snowbelt owners in a few months.

If I lived out West or down South my choice is the Z06 all the way. I've always loved muscle type cars and the Z06 looks like it's going 140MPH when it's parked. I'm not sold on the GT-Rs shape. It looks like a combination of a few different cars....but it certainly is unique!

Despite the price difference, I feel the GT-R overall will attract more 911prospects way before the Z06 owners (even though we have 3 already here that I know of, Frank, SW and Hani ) . I've never been a fan of the 911s and the newer ones ride way too smooth for my liking. I would buy a GT-R way before I would buy a 911 TT, but not a Z06.

My decision is purely subjective in the type of cars I like, the GT-R is a wonderful car.

Keep in mind the GT-R is 3 years newer than the Z06 and we all know cars keep getting better and better and offer more and more.

Mike
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by McMung
Will you be doing this again with fresher tires?
Aside: Do you really run the Goodyears on your street car
We hope to do it again, but have no specific date as of now. The weather really hampered our intended effots.

I have always run the Goodyear EMT's when driving the car on the street. There have been a few times (3 years ago) when I drove MPSC's on the street because I was too lazy to make the change immediately coming home from the track.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:02 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Good questions.

Living in Chicago it's almost impossible to own only a Corvette during winter. I know some people drive them all year round, but I'm more fearful of getting dinged by someone driving too fast on the ice than the car not performing in inclement weather.

Only being able to afford one car? The GT-R does offer all-wheel drive. It seems it would be a great car even if the snow where to fall. I guess we'll have to wait and hear from Snowbelt owners in a few months.

If I lived out West or down South my choice is the Z06 all the way. I've always loved muscle type cars and the Z06 looks like it's going 140MPH when it's parked. I'm not sold on the GT-Rs shape. It looks like a combination of a few different cars....but it certainly is unique!

Despite the price difference, I feel the GT-R overall will attract more 911prospects way before the Z06 owners (even though we have 3 already here that I know of, Frank, SW and Hani ) . I've never been a fan of the 911s and the newer ones ride way too smooth for my liking. I would buy a GT-R way before I would buy a 911 TT, but not a Z06.

My decision is purely subjective in the type of cars I like, the GT-R is a wonderful car.

Keep in mind the GT-R is 3 years newer than the Z06 and we all know cars keep getting better and better and offer more and more.

Mike
Thanks Mike for the report, I enjoyed reading it. Wish there were more time for you guys to run more tests. I admire the diplomat in you!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Thanks Mike for the report, I enjoyed reading it. Wish there were more time for you guys to run more tests. I admire the diplomat in you!
Diplomatic sucks, most of us want the facts and truths, tell it like it is and don't sugar coat it, we are not kids.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Very nice piece Mike...you should write for one of the car mags
This is the first Z06/GT-R writeup that did not cause me to roll my eyes.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Is there more comparison results coming?
Hani,

you may recall, I have countless track miles on my Z06 when it was bone stock, and I continue to instruct in bone stock Z06s on a regular basis.

My observations are based on this experience.

I will be the first to say I wish we had more time to run more tests. I certainly could benefit from more seat time as well.

I suspect we will run again.

With all due respect.

The stock GTR should of been compared to a stock Z06.

The Z06 is modified. Coil-overs and sways make a difference. Mike doesn't you car also have Bremo brakes?

My comments are directly as a result of driving bone stock Z06s. I have put down equal times with a stock Z06 when the EMTs were fairly new.

I have Brembo 4 POTs with street pads. I have not tracked my own Z06 in a long time until now.

Brakes are only as good as tire grip. With the EMTs on my car and how they were worn it simply didn't matter in this case.

Mike
Old 09-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Looks like on the track it will come down to car setups and driver skill in the end.

Get notified of new replies

To I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer44
Diplomatic sucks, most of us want the facts and truths, tell it like it is and don't sugar coat it, we are not kids.
I'm not a fan of sugar coating.

I think the Z06 would walk away from the GT-R on a track like Road America where speeds of 165+ can be found.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lucky13
This is the first Z06/GT-R writeup that did not cause me to roll my eyes.

I pray it stays that way, hence my plea in the first paragraph of the thread!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 AM
BoatsAndHos
Intermediate

yeah a good write up if you ask me. I still dont see what all the fuss is about, they are two very very competent cars. They of course take two totally different approaches to the same problem, and IMHO neither one is better then the other it all comes back to driver preference. (z being more analog, gtr being seamless)

Just my two cents having never driven a gtr.

Quick Reply: I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!