Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Range Rover help???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
darkc6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Range Rover help???

Has anyone had any experience with the Land Rover Range Rover HSE 2003-to present i am looking at getting a suv and these things are getting cheap. Are they any good? reliability? maintainence? anty help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance, Jordan
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

BIL was having the same dilemma a while back. Wow a $100K car for only $30K. I posted on here to get some info and here's the thread. (there were a couple good points)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...-opinions.html

Turns out his business partner got one. I haven't heard about anything blowing up though. I still stand by my original recommendation: Get an extended warranty whatever the cost and be prepared to trade-off luxury and exclusivity for some occasional repair and maintenance hassles.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd stay away unless you have a ext. warr. or two of em' one to drive while the others in the shop
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM
darkc6
Pro

thanks guys
Old 03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been somewhat looking at them too, though I like the Sport over the traditional Range Rover. I have to agree with what's been said before, do NOT buy one without a (good) extended warranty. All extended warranties are not created equal, so make sure you read the fine print. I believe the newer generation is better, but in General the auto-leveling air suspensions, basically anything electronic, and sunroof (tracks) are all known problem areas.

They are a lot of truck for the money these days and can easily tow a 'vette on an open trailer. My buddy has a '98 4.6 HSE and has towed his old M3 (E36 so very similar weight to a 'vette) on a not particularly light open trailer without any issue. The newer generations have a good bit more power (obviously a LOT more if you go for the Supercharged model) and a nice six speed trans. And the auto-leveling is great for towing.

Of course, back to reliability his truck (right around 100k mi) has had the entire HVAC 'brain' replaced, almost every component in the auto-leveling system, his sunroof is broken (we manually locked it "closed" and disconnected the motor) and it just likes to blow various bulbs with alarming frequency.

So, again the whole conversation is summed up with GET A WARRANTY.

Not sure I'd go w/ wheels this big, but:

And if it's good enough for Clarkson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EYTGsOshT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptGsIdWkMUk

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 03-16-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
MLCZ51
Burning Brakes

Default Run forest run..

Originally Posted by tjZ06
I've been somewhat looking at them too, though I like the Sport over the traditional Range Rover. I have to agree with what's been said before, do NOT buy one without a (good) extended warranty. All extended warranties are not created equal, so make sure you read the fine print. I believe the newer generation is better, but in General the auto-leveling air suspensions, basically anything electronic, and sunroof (tracks) are all known problem areas.

They are a lot of truck for the money these days and can easily tow a 'vette on an open trailer. My buddy has a '98 4.6 HSE and has towed his old M3 (E36 so very similar weight to a 'vette) on a not particularly light open trailer without any issue. The newer generations have a good bit more power (obviously a LOT more if you go for the Supercharged model) and a nice six speed trans. And the auto-leveling is great for towing.

Of course, back to reliability his truck (right around 100k mi) has had the entire HVAC 'brain' replaced, almost every component in the auto-leveling system, his sunroof is broken (we manually locked it "closed" and disconnected the motor) and it just likes to blow various bulbs with alarming frequency.

-TJ

GET A CADDY OR TAHOE...

POS AFTER 40K
Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MLCZ51
GET A CADDY OR TAHOE...

POS AFTER 40K
Caddy is way too "hood rich" for me. Every wanna be thug around the Bay Area has one.

A Tahoe is probably the way to go, especially if GM continues selling them ~12k off MSRP. It's obviously the much smarter, more practical buy. But the Range is

-TJ
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

-TJ
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
darkc6
Pro

i definately like the Caddi's but i would want a 2007 and they are harder to find in my price range without a ton of miles but i definately love escalades
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by darkc6
i definately like the Caddi's but i would want a 2007 and they are harder to find in my price range without a ton of miles but i definately love escalades
Around here '07 'sclades go for more than a '07 Range Rover Sport.

-TJ
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I'd stay away from the range rov...unless you got a lot of $$$ for repairs. They like the repair shop. I would go Tahoe/Sub/Escalade
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

In Beverly Hills/Malibu, Rovers are a woman's car.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
I'd stay away from the range rov...unless you got a lot of $$$ for repairs. They like the repair shop. I would go Tahoe/Sub/Escalade
Well, I wouldn't buy one without a good warranty as I stated before. Yeah, it's a pain to have it down now and again but as long as its not out of my pocket it's a annoyance I'd deal with.

Originally Posted by sub006
In Beverly Hills/Malibu, Rovers are a woman's car.
I daily drive an IS250 right now, it doesn't get more womanly than that around here. Besides, I wouldn't be buying it for others, I'd be buying it for me. Around my office there are plenty of MILFs driving around in Rovers, though usually not the Sport. The Sport is an entirely different model than the "regular" Range Rover not a trim package or something and I don't often see women in the Sport.

I have to deal w/ getting rid of the IS first (*hopefully* Lemon Law) but when I do the RRS will be on my "short list."

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 03-21-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Around here '07 'sclades go for more than a '07 Range Rover Sport.

-TJ
Because they're about 100x more reliable
Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454
Because they're about 100x more reliable
100x aye? Obviously you were exaggerating but 'sclades have their problems too. I do agree they are more reliable though. They have the clearly better engine as well. I don't think the interior cuts it in them for the $ (and I've driven them as rentals a bunch) and the ghetto fabulous image is not for me. They are awesome rigs and the "right" choice for a lot of people though, don't get me wrong.

The non-SC'ed Range Rover Sport is just "meh" in performance. They do tow really really well though (air suspension and weight help) and I dig the look and interior a lot. Of course they have the "spoiled soccer mom" image as well, or just a more successful drug dealer.

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To Range Rover help???