Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

AC Cobra 427 Kit car

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default AC Cobra 427 Kit car

Anyone know anybody that has one of these or if you have one?
I was just curious as to how these replicas perform, ride and drive?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont own one, but have lurked here forever. always have in the back of my mind that i will build one when time and finances are right. http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/gtm.html
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe userid Gene Gorman has one and if I'm not mistaken, had it up for sale. Very nice car. Shoot him a PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a bunch of different "kits" available, with varying performance. For the most part, the go really fast, have good grip, and ride like a really light car with a firm suspension... not great for those with lower back problems!

Factory 5 builds their kit around Mustang powertrain and suspension, but they also have a 3 link rear suspension with coil overs available. Backdraft racing builds a turnkey (-) car that uses a BMW suspension. I only ridden in a couple of different versions and the differences didn't seem huge from the passenger seat.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
There are a bunch of different "kits" available, with varying performance. For the most part, the go really fast, have good grip, and ride like a really light car with a firm suspension... not great for those with lower back problems!

Factory 5 builds their kit around Mustang powertrain and suspension, but they also have a 3 link rear suspension with coil overs available. Backdraft racing builds a turnkey (-) car that uses a BMW suspension. I only ridden in a couple of different versions and the differences didn't seem huge from the passenger seat.
In other words, very uncomfortable and maybe accompanied with more visits to your chiropractor.
Maybe a CTS-V better suited for comfort especially at those prices for driving on public roads and to park
Old 04-23-2009, 02:11 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
In other words, very uncomfortable and maybe accompanied with more visits to your chiropractor.
Maybe a CTS-V better suited for comfort especially at those prices for driving on public roads and to park
Comfort, schmomfort.... You're driving a Cobra!!!

It's not too bad... but it's no Vette. Or CTS-V for that matter. But the the ones I rode in were similar in ride to an Elise... definitely more of a weekend driver. I imagine the Backdrafts might be pretty nice.

But right now the kits are going at a discount, and you can pick up used ones really cheap now. I was really hoping to buy one this year, but we need a truck first.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:25 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Comfort, schmomfort.... You're driving a Cobra!!!

It's not too bad... but it's no Vette. Or CTS-V for that matter. But the the ones I rode in were similar in ride to an Elise... definitely more of a weekend driver. I imagine the Backdrafts might be pretty nice.

But right now the kits are going at a discount, and you can pick up used ones really cheap now. I was really hoping to buy one this year, but we need a truck first.
A truck? Bumble Bee:Well at least with the AC Cobra you won't need a heater.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:34 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A truck? Bumble Bee:Well at least with the AC Cobra you won't need a heater.
Yeah - with the Cobra you always have nice, toasty toes!

Bought a new house this year, and there's lots of projects to do. So I'm thinking Cadillac EXT, or an Avalanche. Room for 5 (with luggage), full size bed, 4 wheel drive for the winters. Gotta have one practical car around the house!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just sold my Superformance Cobra. It was a life long dream to have a Cobra. It was a great car, fun to drive, good to look at, and got more looks than anything I have ever driven.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Yeah - with the Cobra you always have nice, toasty toes!

Bought a new house this year, and there's lots of projects to do. So I'm thinking Cadillac EXT, or an Avalanche. Room for 5 (with luggage), full size bed, 4 wheel drive for the winters. Gotta have one practical car around the house!
You get automatic heat in those big blocks of the early years but probably not as bad/hot as the AC Cobra.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gene Gorman
I just sold my Superformance Cobra. It was a life long dream to have a Cobra. It was a great car, fun to drive, good to look at, and got more looks than anything I have ever driven.

The AC Cobra was built with one thing in mind. It's beautiful.
You can clearly see the engine free of wires and hoses everything accessible, look at that engine and interior again built for ONE thing and ONE thing only.

How did the performance and Cobra car compare to the Corvette you have?

Last edited by LS WON; 04-25-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

It only had 550hp, but it weighed 2400lbs. So it was quick but not as fast as my Vette.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

It only had 550hp, but it weighed 2400lbs. So it was quick but not as fast as my Vette.
By fast You mean your 07 has a higher top end speed than the 2,400 lb Cobra? That Cobra is at least 1,000 lbs. lighter so it has to be faster than the Corvette unless launching it is a problem.
2007 Corvette is a much more comfortable car. The Cobra must also retain its value better too.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

By fast You mean your 07 has a higher top end speed than the 2,400 lb Cobra? That Cobra is at least 1,000 lbs. lighter so it has to be faster than the Corvette unless launching it is a problem.
2007 Corvette is a much more comfortable car. The Cobra must also retain its value better too.
The Corvette is more comfortable, but the Cobra was also comfortable. It road nice and the seats were very comfortable. It was a wind in the face sports car. I think that the Corvette would beat the Cobra in the 1/4 mile and just blow the Cobra away on the top speed. My 07 Vette has 585rwhp and that was on a 96 deg. day runing a 160 ait. The Corvette has more of a launchung problem that the Cobra. The Cobra did retain more of its value. I had it for a year and a half and sold it for $4500 more than I paid for it.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

The Corvette is more comfortable, but the Cobra was also comfortable. It road nice and the seats were very comfortable. It was a wind in the face sports car. I think that the Corvette would beat the Cobra in the 1/4 mile and just blow the Cobra away on the top speed. My 07 Vette has 585rwhp and that was on a 96 deg. day runing a 160 ait. The Corvette has more of a launchung problem that the Cobra. The Cobra did retain more of its value. I had it for a year and a half and sold it for $4500 more than I paid for it.
So your Corvette outperforms the Cobra but what about a factory production C-6?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does a good turn key cobra cost? One with A/C and 427? I know it would be a wide range but the one in the picture is gorgeous and I was wondering what it would cost on the used market?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BSheppard
What does a good turn key cobra cost? One with A/C and 427? I know it would be a wide range but the one in the picture is gorgeous and I was wondering what it would cost on the used market?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

When my Cobra was built it cost $80,000. I just sold it for $59,500. Check oy the web site www.cobracountry.com The best cobra for sale web site.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

When my Cobra was built it cost $80,000. I just sold it for $59,500. Check oy the web site www.cobracountry.com The best cobra for sale web site.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Cobra 427 Kit car

Quick Reply: AC Cobra 427 Kit car