Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GTS or SRT10 Viper owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badass1g
exactly. its a major pain in the *** to get in and out of as well. your telling me in the summer time when your driving in city traffic your not sweating your *** off? the ac system sucks and with the exhaust right under your *** its truly an oven and makes it miserable to drive more than 30 mins at a time.

not to mention having yourself and your lady burn her leg on the side of the car when getting out after that drive. then your lucky to get 12 mpg. i dunno just remenissing of having that car is annoying. the best things about that car is all the attention and the exhaust note. other than that corvette is a much better car IMO
The ac seems to work pretty good in this one. I really did not drive it enough to experience the heat from the exhaust. The owner said he had a x-pipe which helps alot? One of my concerns is the rock-star status combined with the red color. I like to be low-key but this thing screams for attention. I did like the ride/feel as well as the seating position. I do appreciate your input though
Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are these things so damn hard to get in and out of? My vette isn't all that easy and vipers are supposed to be worse? What the hell is the door opening like 2 feet wide.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

if there's any way you can hook up with the local Viper club, do so and check out each Gen. Viper.

I tracked my '02Z06 for quite a few yrs and have owned 6 vettes... I do track my GTS and drive it on the street. It's definitely a little trickier to get in/out of, kinda reminds me of when I had stingrays with the side pipes haha....seats are very comfortable.

Love the car, it's a LOT of fun to drive
Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
BSheppard
Pro

if you want the viper for anything other than a race/track car, dont do it. i hated driving my srt-10 around town ESP in the summer i was always sweaty as hell. its an oven in those things. interior is hideous. all around the car sucks, but fun for track use, sold mine in a month no joke.

I'm in the south and the car is never any hotter than my C6. It is a 02 GTS and the Air works GREAT. I like it all around much better than my C6 and the Vette is a great car. It is harder to get in and out of but I don't have a problem with it. I'm 31 so maybe in 20-30 years or so I will care more about that. I think the seats are better tha the C6 also. The interior is a step down from the Vette but I would not call it hideous by a long shot.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
B/Stock
Instructor

Originally Posted by levettegrl
if there's any way you can hook up with the local Viper club, do so and check out each Gen. Viper.

I tracked my '02Z06 for quite a few yrs and have owned 6 vettes... I do track my GTS and drive it on the street. It's definitely a little trickier to get in/out of, kinda reminds me of when I had stingrays with the side pipes haha....seats are very comfortable.

Love the car, it's a LOT of fun to drive
How is it on the track? Is it a handful compared to the vette?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

i cannot speak about the gts as i only had the 03 srt/10, it is so hard to get out of because of the side bottom panels, they are hot as hell so you have to add a few extra inches to make sure you do not touch them or you will burn your leg.

but as far as the interior not being horrid, this has to be a joke, the interior (dashboard and center console) look worse than a neon, everything is so cheap and tacky looking IMO YUCK and that was an 03 viper i could only imagine that the older style would be even worse. i could only imagine how much attn you would get in a RED GTS lol people were always taking my cars picture as i drove past and mine was silver.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by B/Stock
How is it on the track? Is it a handful compared to the vette?
after 100K miles in my Z06 you kinda get used to one car, you know?

I was pretty darn excited my first session in my GTS, I had driven it on the street for 4 yrs but the track is a different story.

I was very surprised how easily it turned in, less push than my vette and wow the torque coming out of the corners!

Once I got used to the weight difference I have to say I am having more fun with the GTS at the track, if you are used to driving with all the nannys off in a vette then you are good to go in the Viper...'cause their ain't any

Pic at Mid OH with PCA, took a porsche buddy of mine out with me

Last edited by levettegrl; 11-18-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
ckw
Pro

exactly. its a major pain in the *** to get in and out of as well. your telling me in the summer time when your driving in city traffic your not sweating your *** off? the ac system sucks and with the exhaust right under your *** its truly an oven and makes it miserable to drive more than 30 mins at a time.

not to mention having yourself and your lady burn her leg on the side of the car when getting out after that drive. then your lucky to get 12 mpg. i dunno just remenissing of having that car is annoying. the best things about that car is all the attention and the exhaust note. other than that corvette is a much better car IMO
I was out on the Lake one day, hanging out with some friends, drinking beer, and we got to talking about cars.
I'd been looking at several, and the VIper was one.

This guy, overhearing the conservations spoke up.

Hay, you want a Viper, I've got one.

Everything stated above is what this Guy said, almost word, for word.

He said, I'll give you a hell of a deal on it, but understand, it gets so hot, so fast, one trip 2hrs to the coast, and you'll be back to taking your SUV.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ckw
I was out on the Lake one day, hanging out with some friends, drinking beer, and we got to talking about cars.
I'd been looking at several, and the VIper was one.

This guy, overhearing the conservations spoke up.

Hay, you want a Viper, I've got one.

Everything stated above is what this Guy said, almost word, for word.

He said, I'll give you a hell of a deal on it, but understand, it gets so hot, so fast, one trip 2hrs to the coast, and you'll be back to taking your SUV.
The is no issue with heat once you remove the cats(which are HUGE btw) before I couldnt even put my hand on the side sill's, after removing the cats there is no issue of heat. the air works very well, unless you give it full throttle of course

Last edited by NytmereZ; 11-26-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:30 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Licit
Why are these things so damn hard to get in and out of? My vette isn't all that easy and vipers are supposed to be worse? What the hell is the door opening like 2 feet wide.
I'm almost 50 and I have no problem getting in and out, I guess if you are a fat out of shape slob it might be a issue.

It always seems to be brought up by Vette guys, who tend to be really old and in less than stellar shape...
Old 11-26-2009, 02:42 PM
RED HAWK
Racer

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
I'm almost 50 and I have no problem getting in and out, I guess if you are a fat out of shape slob it might be a issue.

It always seems to be brought up by Vette guys, who tend to be really old and in less than stellar shape...
Yeah talk about a whiner. I'm 56 and it's not a problem for me either. In addition, I've done several DFW to Houston trips and the car was extremely cool with the A/C. This guy is probably a member of the lazy, entitlement generation. Weak bodied and weak minded.

Last edited by RED HAWK; 11-26-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Sorry man my 03 SRT10 interior is worlds better than my C5 interior. Seats are way better, more supportive and already have slots for harnesses. Threw the Mopar in dash Nav and the thing is great. It aint a Ferrari interior but it's better than my Vette was.

i cannot speak about the gts as i only had the 03 srt/10, it is so hard to get out of because of the side bottom panels, they are hot as hell so you have to add a few extra inches to make sure you do not touch them or you will burn your leg.

but as far as the interior not being horrid, this has to be a joke, the interior (dashboard and center console) look worse than a neon, everything is so cheap and tacky looking IMO YUCK and that was an 03 viper i could only imagine that the older style would be even worse. i could only imagine how much attn you would get in a RED GTS lol people were always taking my cars picture as i drove past and mine was silver.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

I remember what a joy the C4 was to climb out of
Old 11-07-2014, 05:12 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

I looked at a perfect 97' GTS today. Anything I should look for or known issues? I am going to have a viper tech. inspect it this weekend.
Motor and trans mounts, U-joints, power steering pulley, fan relays, battery, and make sure the clutch feels nice and firm as the master slave on these older cars tend to go.
Other wise these cars are pretty bullet proof
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

RED HAWK, the 998 recall is a bit scary. As far as I can tell, they only made the repair if there were signs of cracking. It does not seem as though all frames and diffs. got the brackets welded in. This could be a serious problem being that I plan on going to the track. Thanks for the info.
Not true, my 99ACR had zero cracking or sagging, and the recall was done.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 PM
gto442w30
Instructor

Had a Ram SRT 10 viper truck that had been modified. Made 860 hp to the rear wheels. It was a yellow fever truck. Had super bee emblems made for rear quarter panels that said Angry Bee instead of super bee and had a Green Peace sticker on back glass. The most fun I ever had in a truck.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

What's with people reviving all these 5 year old threads all the sudden?

Quick Reply: GTS or SRT10 Viper owners?