Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Mini ZR1 - the Caddy CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
ZR Guy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Mini ZR1 - the Caddy CTS-V

Does anybody have a Caddy CTS-V with the little brother version supercharged engine? It is 556 hp super. Can get with 6 spd manual. Has pretty high reviews in terms of performance when compared to other coupes and sedan rocket cars (M5 for example). But criticized for interior finish, ... just as the vette has been criticized for years on it's interior quality. (I'm not saying I agree.)
Anyone have experience and input on this?
I'm particularly interested in the CTS-v coupe and maybe the Hennessey version, to have for a daily driver car. (Vette for fun days.)
thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I'm possibly on the hunt for one as well. The more I hear about them the more I want one.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

I have the sedan and have had it for 12k miles it is a great car all the way around, even had it on the road course on street tires and it got some better times then my friends with their vettes

Interior is leaps and bounds above the Vette interior. Drive one and you will be signing the papers in no time. I had a deposit and was flying down to Louisiana to pick mine up before i had even driven the new model V.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM
CupertinoZ06
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eh, I think if you get a CTS-V then everyday will be a fun day
Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

While the interior may not quite be at the same level as Audi, Benz or BMW its not far behind and its miles and miles ahead of what most people consider to be typical GM. Its certainly evident that GM is beginning to narrow the margin on interior quality, the difference in interior quality between my previous 2006 Hummer H2 vs. my 2008 is insane. Even the C6 is availible with the 3LT/3ZR..... Im sure they will continue to make things better as time goes on.

I would tell you to go see/drive a new CTS/CTS-V and see for yourself, its extremely nice.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

I've got the V sedan, love it. Much nicer interior and ride than my 07 Z06. Very fast, handles and brakes well. FYI the Coupe's backseat has very little headroom, small kids only!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I've got the V sedan, love it. Much nicer interior and ride than my 07 Z06. Very fast, handles and brakes well. FYI the Coupe's backseat has very little headroom, small kids only!
Try sitting back there with a Bell helmet on!
(Monticello Motor Club track day)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
OldRoadDawg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scootguy58
Try sitting back there with a Bell helmet on!
(Monticello Motor Club track day)
Ha-ha .....been there... tried that (Monticello)
Sadly, I'm too tall even for the drivers seat with helmet on & seat all the way down (sunroof version)
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 AM
bm bradley
Instructor

I have the CTS V coupe... man oh man what a nice car and mucho fun... I drove a 2004 vette for 7 years and traded in on the V. some big differences. 1. the V weighs in at about 1K more than the vette plus it's a bigger car. with 4k miles still not comfortable throwing the V around like I did the vette although the V handles very nicely.

I got the auto because I live in LA, can't imagine driving a stick in LA traffic... 2. love the 'luxury' of the V... the only reall 'issue' I've had so far is the V gets a bit strange in the rain... seems to hydro much quicker
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM
ZR Guy
Instructor

All good information. I'm disappointed the CTS v is not an AWD. I'm used to that in my daily driver (R Rover) and not sure I want a rear wheel only .
I'm enticed with the 556 hp and love speed. But not sure I want to give up traction. So, I'm also looking at BMW X5M - 555 hp, AWD. About $88k, but looks pretty cool to. They claim a qtr mile time of 12.5 .... in a suv!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
bm bradley
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR Guy
All good information. I'm disappointed the CTS v is not an AWD. I'm used to that in my daily driver (R Rover) and not sure I want a rear wheel only .
I'm enticed with the 556 hp and love speed. But not sure I want to give up traction. So, I'm also looking at BMW X5M - 555 hp, AWD. About $88k, but looks pretty cool to. They claim a qtr mile time of 12.5 .... in a suv!
traction is great... the tires will chirp going into 4th gear on full auto... this car seriously hauls ***. much better as a daily driver than the vette as far as convenience and comfort. just a bit goofy in standing water... I think it's the aggression from the traction control... I always drive in sport mode

the only gripe I really have is the nav system doesn't pull my phone book in like the aftermarket nav in the vette. GM really needs to address this... the nav should allow me to make call from the screen and chose what I phone I want to use... and needs a better HD and USB system in the car. no way to transfer stuff to HD other than to record live, even off the USB... that is total BS in my book. also the USB port doesn't take cards... had to use a stick card reader. should be able to slot an SD card right in...

the gas mileage blows after driving a vette for 7 years as well... like seriously 18 average on the HWY and 8-10 in town... when I check the DIC after a fill up it's showing 275-280 mile on the tank... gets a bit better if I run a few tanks on the HWY.... like 320. and you can't , or should I say I can't really throw it around like I did the vette, just doesn't have the same level of handling. but hey... not much out there handles like a vette

the good news: quiet, comfortable, smooth, FUN to drive. and very impressive to look at. with the vette no one would pull over to let me pass in the mountains... with this CTS coupe, I don't even ride their *** and they are pulling over to let my by

roomy up front too. would really have preferred a hatch back to be honest about it.

all in all I'm really really happy with this car and might buy it after the lease is up and do a few mods to get the performance up... right now with 20K down and 15K per year my lease is $347 a month for 2 years.... and how damn cool is that?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
ZR Guy
Instructor

That sounds great. Sounds like a fun car.
My hesitation on traction was in regard to winter snow and ice; rear wheel drive is inferior to AWD. And before someone argues that, I've had rwd BMWs and now the awd BMW. AWD is better. Same w my R Rover - the current awd is better in winter.
I'm surprised GM doesn't have awd on their higher priced cars.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My hesitation on traction was in regard to winter snow and ice; rear wheel drive is inferior to AWD. And before someone argues that, I've had rwd BMWs and now the awd BMW. AWD is better. Same w my R Rover - the current awd is better in winter.
ANY car with 500+ HP is going to have traction issues in the snow. That X5M will be a white knuckle ride too with summer tires.

Put some snows on it and you'll be blown away how well even a RWD car performs.

Braved many a Michigan winter in my RX-7 with snow tires
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
bm bradley
Instructor

yeah, I live in LA so it's not an issue... one thing tho... the V isn't touchy. you really gotta stick yer foot into it, to get it to jump up. not gonna jump before you're ready... take a test drive. I think you will be intrigued.

I got the coupe because I wanted the B column to be out of my way. when I slide the seat back in the sedan, I have to climb around the B column to exit the car... no issues like that with the vette doors on the coupe, the back seat is unusable for passengers tho, for me that is...
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Maybe hold out a little while and check out the new Cherokee SRT8 that will be out this yr. They say its supposed to compete with the BMW ect. And probably only half of there msrp but probably close to 50k but expect over 500hp awd and mid 12sec 1/4. Dont know true numbers yet but thats what I here.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
jumbojet
Instructor

I believe the Jeep is going to be a 6.4L 470/470 HP/TQ. I agree. Mid high 12's depending on DA.

I wonder how the CTS-V Coupe would do in a roll race with say a GTR?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jumbojet
I believe the Jeep is going to be a 6.4L 470/470 HP/TQ. I agree. Mid high 12's depending on DA.

I wonder how the CTS-V Coupe would do in a roll race with say a GTR?
I believe the ctsv would stay with or start to pull the gtr. If it does start to pull it, it wont be by much if at all but a very close race. IMHO Also depends on if the ctsv is a manual or auto. I think the manual has a better shot at it though.

Get notified of new replies

To Mini ZR1 - the Caddy CTS-V

Quick Reply: Mini ZR1 - the Caddy CTS-V