Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Had fun with a 997 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo...

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Walshman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had fun with a 997 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo...

Yesterday was such a great day, so the wife and I took out the C6 with the top off. As we were cruising on the local highway I could see a bright yellow sports car coming up on my tail pretty quickly. He did not get up on my ***, but busted over to the left lane pretty quickly and hammered the throttle. This car sounded like pure sex!

There was little traffic on the hwy. As he slowed down, he pulled on the side of me, put his window down and gave me a big

I have to admit that I tried to stay with him, but to no avail. I am happy that my car is faster than probably 95% of cars on the road; however, this car was in the other 5% category.

Just wanted to share this story as I have found since driving the C6, it gets alot of respect from all cars alike, no matter if its a high end Porsche or a little beater.

In addition, if the C7 turns out to look like some of the pics I have seen on here, I might just have to look into a nice used 911 turbo. Of course, it would have to be a stable mate for the vette
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are nice little cars for sure... out of my price range though!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM
anotherone
Pro

well actually I have spent some time in my brothers 997 tt. It is boring plain and simple unless your on the track. It has 50 more hp and awd. On the street there is no thrill ; hard seats and suspension and noisy.
He wont admit it but you can see it because he always drives his landrover. Just no excitement factor!!!! Just in case you think I'm a hater I will admit on the track that thing is insane.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive driven one, fast as hell and stiff as a board. I prefer my Vette going from point a to point b, but I doubt my car could hang with one in the twisties unless the other driver sucked. It just felt like a flat out race car.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherone
well actually I have spent some time in my brothers 997 tt. It is boring plain and simple unless your on the track. It has 50 more hp and awd. On the street there is no thrill ; hard seats and suspension and noisy.
He wont admit it but you can see it because he always drives his landrover. Just no excitement factor!!!! Just in case you think I'm a hater I will admit on the track that thing is insane.
My 63 yo dad daily drives his 997 TT...suspension isn't THAT stiff, lol...unless he puts it into the race mode, then it's not good for anything except PERFECTLY flat surface. It has three suspension settings, and the normal setting is fine for a daily driver. Not any stiffer than a Z06.

As for no fun...I'm so sure about that. I've driven that car many times and when full boost hits it pulls like a freight train. It's a completely different feel than a strong N/A motor though.

Ran 11.3 with just a tune and a soft 1.9 60 foot, lol.

They're truly aweseom cars with interiors that leave me wanting, but I still love my corvette and realize that a 50k car is more practical than a 150k car, lol.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

To be fair though, Justin Bell was considerably faster around Willow Springs in the ZR1 than he was in the Turbo...two or three seconds per lap as I remember...in racing, that's an eternity.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by cclive
To be fair though, Justin Bell was considerably faster around Willow Springs in the ZR1 than he was in the Turbo...two or three seconds per lap as I remember...in racing, that's an eternity.
The 997 TT is MUCH easier to drive though and makes an average driver seem pretty good
Old 02-28-2011, 11:55 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
The 997 TT is MUCH easier to drive though and makes an average driver seem pretty good
...until you discover these 4 words:

unintentional lift-throttle oversteer.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE

Not sure exactly what that is, but we beat on it pretty hard at the track and didn't have any issues.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Well, you are not supposed to lift if you are on the gas in a corner. Most cars will give you oversteer of some degree in this situation. Obviously having it step out a couple feet and having it spin 180 degrees are 2 separate things though, lol.

But you are supposed to keep the throttle open and steady until you are ready to get on it at or just past the apex.

If you are on a motorbike and lift like that you are going to lowside, assuming you are at or near max lean.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

In the TT, with all wheel drive, throttle will fix that.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Not sure exactly what that is, but we beat on it pretty hard at the track and didn't have any issues.
Its when you are on the throttle mid corner and take your foot off the gas. Usually the cause is the driver getting spooked that he wont make the corner and instead does this, which will cause oversteer, or even worse puts his foot on the brakes which causes him to go into a spin.

But if you are fast its also one way of finishing off a corner, assuming you are comfortable enough to correct and be pointing the direction you want to. Some people drive like that, steering with the throttle, using the tendencies of the car to under or over steer depending on the type and the amount of input they give it.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

yep....engine in the rear....sudden weight to the front in the corner after lifting off the throttle...not good....
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

911s were notorious for lift-throttle oversteer, but with AWD, it seemed to have helped the issue....although, their times in rags are not that impressive when comparing to the Z06 or ZR1.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM
cclive
Team Owner

In the video with Justin Bell, he said that he thought the Turbo would be easier to drive before he went out, but after driving both, he was surprised and said he thought the ZR1 inspired more confidence...especially through a bump in the middle of a long sweeping corner. It may be that he is a better driver than Clarkson....
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Get yourself a Vortech S/C and leave that pesky 997TT P-car behind you on the hwy. He can give you a thumbs up when he 'catches' you at a red light down the road.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
Get yourself a Vortech S/C and leave that pesky 997TT P-car behind you on the hwy. He can give you a thumbs up when he 'catches' you at a red light down the road.
You will have a nice sleeper then

Get notified of new replies

To Had fun with a 997 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo...

Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I 'surprised' two of them already.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Walshman
Intermediate

I am really thinking about doing something like this! The only real mod that I have done which really is not performance related at all are the Corsa Xtremes. Hope to have them by the end of the week. I think I will hold off on any performance mods until I see what the C7 looks like and also after I get a couple track days under my belt.

I know the 911 Turbos are expensive but just out of curiousity I checked a couple websites and found a couple 07's for between $70 and $80,000 with around 20k miles. Expensive, I know but close to the price of a new Z...

If I could only have double the garage space and double the salary!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Racer
It goes the same if anyone mentions an F-car.

Fiats are fun too...

Last edited by cclive; 02-28-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had fun with a 997 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo...