Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ferrari and Corvette Prices

Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by last901

I think however, this may be a temporary market condition owing to simple economics. There may very well be a time, as Ferrari expands production, when the market settles down and, IMO, anything later than a 355 - and maybe even that model - becomes nothing more than a used car. A beautiful and exciting used car to be sure, but with some exceptions I think, eventually, most of the F340, 360, whatever.. will never bring the stratospheric prices of the "Enzo Era" cars, like the 250 series and up through the 246 Dinos.
I consider F40 and F50 to be past-Enzo cars and their price has been climbing steadily up. Same goes for Enzo. Naturally, the same appreciation won't be seen for the more mass produced cars. However, one who buys an F360 right now is likely to lose money only the mileage and maintenance. The used F360 will retain it value much better than a compatible priced ZR1 or GTR

That said, the sheer number of Corvettes produced will always keep their prices low in the used market, with some exceptions. My original point was simply to illustrate that anyone, especially on this forum, considering - or comparing - their current BG-built ride of choice to a Ferrari - should consider the cost of ownership, not simply the purchase price, and that includes depreciation. BTW, despite some criticism above, I have found the Mondial and the earlier 2+2 308 GT4 to be delightful to drive, the latter being, arguably, a higher performance and better handling car than the 2-seater 308s that followed.
Is anyone really silly enough to seriously compare ferrari to corvettes?

As far as Modial, I too found it a delightful car to drive, despite it being about as fast as my camry
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterK
I consider F40 and F50 to be past-Enzo cars and their price has been climbing steadily up. Same goes for Enzo. Naturally, the same appreciation won't be seen for the more mass produced cars. However, one who buys an F360 right now is likely to lose money only the mileage and maintenance. The used F360 will retain it value much better than a compatible priced ZR1 or GTR

Is anyone really silly enough to seriously compare ferrari to corvettes?

As far as Modial, I too found it a delightful car to drive, despite it being about as fast as my camry
Some excellent points and we seem to agree on most of them. In the short term, yes, I agree the F360 will retain its value - maybe - but measured $ out-of-pocket I'm not so sure.

Yes, to answer your other question, there are a number of people on this forum who find some reason to compare Ferraris to their Corvettes, and rightfully so - at least so far as they are concerned.

I would agree that the F40 - the answer to Ferrari missing the marketing frenzy over the more limited 288 GTO - will be a classic and an Enzo Era car. The F50? Hmm, maybe, but is not very attractive. The Enzo is perhaps a different story, based mainly on its exclusivity, but still, IMO, an ugly car. Still, limited of production and may retain most of its value, if not appreciate, but we're talking now about very exclusive cars here so who knows?

Now consider, say, the 308-series. Cars that originally sold for - what - $60K to $70K? They were once going for less than half the price as used cars. Now they're going for, ahhh, less than half the price they sold as new - well as least some of them.

I'm rambling on about something that is best left to the professionals and seems to be getting further off my original premise that owning a Ferrari is more expensive than owing a Corvette and that - again, in terms of dollars, the Corvette will be a better value in most cases.

But, value, is in the eyes of the beholder and subject to the simple Econ 101 theory of marginal value and ones propensity to consume. Above all,whether it be Corvette, Ferrari, Mustang, GT-R, it involves a lot of emotion and pride, and so one can never really apply the Consumer Reports in the annual April issue to any of these so far as it relates to passion and enthusiasm.

But, it's sure fun to discuss, don't you think?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I think however, this may be a temporary market condition owing to simple economics.

simply to illustrate that anyone, especially on this forum, considering - or comparing - their current BG-built ride of choice to a Ferrari - should consider the cost of ownership, not simply the purchase price, and that includes depreciation.
1) Economics are the worst they have ever been for any sports car. That being said, production #'s are purposely kept down on new models to keep the value of older models higher due to difficulty in purchasing a new one.
2) It is a poor comparison. It is like not buying a Ferrari b/c of poor fuel mileage.
3) Exotic care owners are well aware of the related costs.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Some excellent points and we seem to agree on most of them. In the short term, yes, I agree the F360 will retain its value - maybe - but measured $ out-of-pocket I'm not so sure.
Again, depends on the situation. For instance a 10 year old F360 can be eligible for collector car insurance which will be much cheaper than a typical insurance policy for a 10 year old corvette.

The Enzo is perhaps a different story, based mainly on its exclusivity, but still, IMO, an ugly car. Still, limited of production and may retain most of its value, if not appreciate, but we're talking now about very exclusive cars here so who knows?
Enzo is are already selling for above MSRP

Now consider, say, the 308-series. Cars that originally sold for - what - $60K to $70K? They were once going for less than half the price as used cars. Now they're going for, ahhh, less than half the price they sold as new - well as least some of them.
Can't comment on any of these

I'm rambling on about something that is best left to the professionals and seems to be getting further off my original premise that owning a Ferrari is more expensive than owing a Corvette and that - again, in terms of dollars, the Corvette will be a better value in most cases.

But, it's sure fun to discuss, don't you think?
A purchase of a used modern day ferrari will be a much better economic decision than buying a new comparably priced sports car. Buy a MN6 F360, drive it for < 3K/year and it will set you back maybe 1K-2K in both depreciation and maintenance.

Buy a new Z06/ZR1 and you'll lose $10-20K during the first year in depreciation alone.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Big Phil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After i buy a new convertible camaro, i've got my eyes set on a low mileage F360 or maybe even F430. Those cars are just beautiful in my opinion. I've been watching the used car prices on those over the last few years, and they seem to depreciate very slowly.

A 10 - 7 year old F360 is still ranging between $70k - $100k. Hell my 9 year old vette is only worth maybe $10-12K!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:10 AM
SloChicken
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Phil
After i buy a new convertible camaro, i've got my eyes set on a low mileage F360 or maybe even F430. Those cars are just beautiful in my opinion. I've been watching the used car prices on those over the last few years, and they seem to depreciate very slowly.

A 10 - 7 year old F360 is still ranging between $70k - $100k. Hell my 9 year old vette is only worth maybe $10-12K!
I am not in the market for a 2002, but just so you know, a 2002 in fair condition is worth about 18k for a 50000 mile z51 in fair (not good, or excellent) condition.

Auto trader has them for 16k to 36k
Maybe u should trade that sucka in on a new one. I don't know so much about the Camaro tho, unless you don't like corners.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Big Phil

And there is a lot of demand for them too. A red coupe with MN6 tranny + full records will be taken off your hands in no time at a premium price.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by lager99
1) Economics are the worst they have ever been for any sports car. That being said, production #'s are purposely kept down on new models to keep the value of older models higher due to difficulty in purchasing a new one.
2) It is a poor comparison. It is like not buying a Ferrari b/c of poor fuel mileage.
3) Exotic care owners are well aware of the related costs.
Once again I don't agree. I can't possibly imagine that any manufacturer would reduce production simply to keep the value of used models high. Why do you believe that?

I think you miss the point regarding fuel mileage of either car. Do you really think anyone makes a decision to buy a Corvette because of fuel mileage?

I'm not sure about your 3rd point. I suspect, even if those people are aware of the costs, it is not a factor in their decision to own one.

I'm going to stick my neck out here - again, stupidly - and suggest that anyone with - call it - unlimited funds to spend on cars, is not likely to pick a modern era Corvette as high on their "must have" list.

Okay, okay... flame suit on...
Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Big Phil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloChicken
I am not in the market for a 2002, but just so you know, a 2002 in fair condition is worth about 18k for a 50000 mile z51 in fair (not good, or excellent) condition.

Auto trader has them for 16k to 36k
Maybe u should trade that sucka in on a new one. I don't know so much about the Camaro tho, unless you don't like corners.
Originally Posted by PeterK
And there is a lot of demand for them too. A red coupe with MN6 tranny + full records will be taken off your hands in no time at a premium price.
Wow! Thanks guys i had no idea they were holding that well. I've got some thinking to do.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Once again I don't agree. I can't possibly imagine that any manufacturer would reduce production simply to keep the value of used models high. Why do you believe that?

I think you miss the point regarding fuel mileage of either car. Do you really think anyone makes a decision to buy a Corvette because of fuel mileage?

I'm not sure about your 3rd point. I suspect, even if those people are aware of the costs, it is not a factor in their decision to own one.

I'm going to stick my neck out here - again, stupidly - and suggest that anyone with - call it - unlimited funds to spend on cars, is not likely to pick a modern era Corvette as high on their "must have" list.

Okay, okay... flame suit on...
I don't believe...I know.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Ferrari took 200 units out of the NA market this year & sent to China.

Search this Thread