Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ferrari and Corvette Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Ferrari and Corvette Prices

Forgive me, but I often see a thread or two - which often turns into a battle of words and ideas over things like lap times at some track few of us have ever seen and 0-60 times that typically can never be staged in todays traffic congestion.

But for those of you who want to argue over value and depreciation, take a look at this

http://ferraris-online.com/pages/car...456MGTA-117272

While not the most desirable of modern Ferraris it is a bona-fide V12 front engined coupe. New, these sold for over $225,000 or more.

Not a big deal. Just an example to fuel the fire.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

car
Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Not sure what you are trying to say or prove?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I think that he's saying it took damn near a 200K dollar drop in value over the course of 11 years?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So are you saying that a Ferrari, or maybe just this one, depreciates more/faster than a Corvette?

Possibly. I don't keep track of the going rate since I'm not in the market for one. I had a chance to buy a new 2009 458 Italia with less than 300 miles on it for $150k, a great price but I didn't need it or want it. A former student of mine buys wheels in Beijing and brings back several containers a year. Last summer he brought back 4 of these and had them for sale, but it would have been next to impossible getting titles cleared and CA smog so I passed on it. Still, he sold all four in a couple weeks I heard.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
Not sure what you are trying to say or prove?
Only that to suggest that most modern Ferraris are not investments and depreciate just like Corvettes and most other cars. The other point is directed at those who like to rant on this forum about how a Corvette is faster than some Ferraris, or wonder if a Ferrari is the better vehicle of choice. etc. Simply trying to bring some things into perspective for those who might believe that a Ferrari is a viable option for those on a Corvette budget. Nothing more. Well, perhaps to suggest things like belt changes and major services in some Ferraris would make the payments for a year or more on a Corvette.

Do I sense some disagreement?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Andrew6
I think that he's saying it took damn near a 200K dollar drop in value over the course of 11 years?
So what? Here is one too....almost no depreciation.
http://www.dennigcars.org/used_ferrari.htm
Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 PM
DASHZNT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He wants to prove price depreciation... I am a converted Ferrari guy, I still love them and may buy one but not anytime soon. Corvette is truly a fantastic car and the money to purchase any model is minor compared to what it competes with.

That being said, a Corvette is not a Ferrari... Those who have driven them know what I am talking about... There truly is no other car experience like one. However, the hit you take financially when you own one is just too much to justify unless you have a net worth that the financial hit doesnt effect you in the least and you can enjoy that experience.

The Corvette, on the other hand, is an experience in itself and the great part is that it's priced that most people can afford to enjoy that experience. It gets a bad rep because of the fact that it's not Italian and exotic... In my humble yet extremely accurate opinion, the Corvette is an exotic car and it also is something that those cars are not and that's American, something that more people should take pride in but unfortunately nowadays don't.

I love my Corvette, and I'm proud to be fortunate enough to own one.. I love this country and I'm proud to live here and support it in anyway I can... Owning a Corvette just happens to be one of the perks!!

Last edited by DASHZNT; 03-21-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by DASHZNT
He wants to prove price depreciation... I am a converted Ferrari guy, I still love them and may buy one but not anytime soon. Corvette is truly a fantastic car and the money to purchase any model is minor compared to what it competes with.

That being said, a Corvette is not a Ferrari... Those who have driven them know what I am talking about... There truly is no other car experience like one. However, the hit you take financially when you own one is just too much to justify unless you have a net worth that the financial hit doesnt effect you in the least and you can enjoy that experience.

The Corvette, on the other hand, is an experience in itself and the great part is that it's priced that most people can afford to enjoy that experience. It gets a bad rep because of the fact that it's not Italian and exotic... In my humble yet extremely accurate opinion, the Corvette is an exotic car and it also is something that those cars are not and that's American, something that more people should take pride in but unfortunately nowadays don't.

I love my Corvette, and I'm proud to be fortunate enough to own one.. I love this country and I'm proud to live here and support it in anyway I can... Owning a Corvette just happens to be one of the perks!!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..."I love my Corvette, and I'm proud to be fortunate enough to own one.. I love this country and I'm proud to live here and support it in anyway I can... Owning a Corvette just happens to be one of the perks!!"

AMEN Brother!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
So what? Here is one too....almost no depreciation.
http://www.dennigcars.org/used_ferrari.htm
Sorry, but the link simply took me to a site with a lot of Ferraris. I really don't want to argue over this, but you are correct if you mean to point out, for example, that a 246 GTS Dino spider, which sold new for $16K to $18K in the early 70's is presumably worth $150K today.

Likewise a 1962 GTO, which was probably pretty expensive when 32 of them were built, ostensibly to homologate them or racing in the GT class, are almost priceless today - figure at least $25 million in today's market.

I sold a 288 GTO to a fellow in a neighboring state back in 1985 when I was in the biz, for a bit over $80K. Within 6 months they were bringing nearly a $ million at auction.

There's a lot of stories about prices of old Ferraris, but so there are on certain Corvettes. What did a '63 split window C2 coupe sell for new? I was offered a new '65 coupe from the local dealer for a bit over
$4500, but opted for a '67 GTO 4-speed hardtop.

So, yes, you're right. Some Ferraris do appreciate and the reasons why are far too many to discuss on a Corvette forum. (I will gladly discuss them with you if you want to send me a PM so we can do so offline)

Sorry to drone on about your post, but I just couldn't find the specific Ferrari which you were trying to share with us.

Last edited by last901; 03-21-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice post and I agree with it entirely.

Having said that, I would be just fine with owning a Ferrari F430 too.

Racer has it right
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Very well said, and more succinctly than I could have put it. But while depreciation is a large part of it, it's really the cost of ownership. But your point is right on. Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it would be more accurate to measure both cars depreciation as a percent versus original dollar value rather than absolute dollar value today. What would an 11 year old Corvette be worth today? Convert that to a percent of the original value then compare to the Ferrari you picked.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 03-21-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by last901
Sorry, but the link simply took me to a site with a lot of Ferraris. I really don't want to argue over this, but you are correct if you mean to point out, for example, that a 246 GTS Dino spider, which sold new for $16K to $18K in the early 70's is presumably worth $150K today.

Likewise a 1962 GTO, which was probably pretty expensive when 32 of them were built, ostensibly to homologate them or racing in the GT class, are almost priceless today - figure at least $25 million in today's market.

I sold a 288 GTO to a fellow in a neighboring state back in 1985 when I was in the biz, for a bit over $80K. Within 6 months they were bringing nearly a $ million at auction.

There's a lot of stories about prices of old Ferraris, but so there are on certain Corvettes. What did a '63 split window C2 coupe sell for new? I was offered a new '65 coupe from the local dealer for a bit over

So, yes, you're right. Some Ferraris do appreciate and the reasons why are far too many to discuss on a Corvette forum. (I will gladly discuss them with you if you want to send me a PM so we can do so offline)

Sorry to drone on about your post, but I just couldn't find the specific Ferrari which you were trying to share with us.
Sorry about the link, it was a 2004 575M Maranello, list was 169,000 EUROS they wanted 149,000 EUROS. Iwas trying to show some realistic older ones instead of ENZOS that sold for $699,000 new and used over 1-1.7million, as they are not a normal type Ferrari.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by keyplyr
So are you saying that a Ferrari, or maybe just this one, depreciates more/faster than a Corvette?

Possibly. I don't keep track of the going rate since I'm not in the market for one. I had a chance to buy a new 2009 458 Italia with less than 300 miles on it for $150k, a great price but I didn't need it or want it. A former student of mine buys wheels in Beijing and brings back several containers a year. Last summer he brought back 4 of these and had them for sale, but it would have been next to impossible getting titles cleared and CA smog so I passed on it. Still, he sold all four in a couple weeks I heard.
Your so full of **** I can smell you from here...

Get notified of new replies

To Ferrari and Corvette Prices

Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by last901

Don't mind Racer,
His 100000000 posts and the signature that say's he "knows what he is talking about" says it all
Anything that comes close to interfering with his ostensibly huge ego and he he comes out firing.
The guy really takes the fun out of the joint.

As for american exotics, there is the new hennesey.
or the new McLaren if you want to go that route.
But as you said, it is best if you are getting your car and regard it as a whimsy, because if you think of it as an investment, then you will be in for a big bad, and sad surprise. 430s included - and that goes for vettes too.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM
DASHZNT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You Guys... I'll wave if I see you on the roads out there!!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by SloChicken
Don't mind Racer,
His 100000000 posts and the signature that say's he "knows what he is talking about" says it all
Anything that comes close to interfering with his ostensibly huge ego and he he comes out firing.
The guy really takes the fun out of the joint.

As for american exotics, there is the new hennesey.
or the new McLaren if you want to go that route.
But as you said, it is best if you are getting your car and regard it as a whimsy, because if you think of it as an investment, then you will be in for a big bad, and sad surprise. 430s included - and that goes for vettes too.
A CHICKen, your pouting again....