Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

My impression of CTS-V after 1 week

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 PM
calherc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My impression of CTS-V vs. ZO6 after 1 week

I know this is a Corvette Forum, but it seems a lot of you (us) have some interest in the new CTS-V, so I figured I'd post my opinion after 1 week of ownership. Just a little background: I just sold my 2006 ZO6 for a 2009 CTS-V (Blk/Blk). This was my 4th. Vette. I've had just about every modern American muscle/sports car made. 3 Camaros, 2 SRT-8, 1 SRT-10, IROC, Trans-Am, Grand National, you name it. Anyway, I'm no expert and have only been to the track twice, but here is my take:

Looks: ZO6 by far. Caddy is okay at best, but I did not buy it for looks.

Performance-straight line: ZO6, but not by much. From seat of the pants, the ZO6 driver better be on his/her "A" game or you'll be seeing Caddy tail lights (seriously) it's that fast.

Handling: ZO6 (surprise). Caddy does a great job for a sedan, but it still feels big too me. Not quick and agile like the ZO6.

Comfort/drive: Caddy by far. ZO6 was only good for short drives for me, but I am 6'3" 260lbs so it got a little crampy.

Gas mileage: ZO6. Caddy sucks (literally), but again I did not buy it for economy.

Bells & whistles: Caddy. I'm still trying to figure out how everything works.

Basically, like a lot have posted previously, they are apples to oranges. The CTS-V works for me because I need a 4 seater, but still have the need for speed. I don't track, so it was a good choice for me. Just my 2 cents for those interested or on the fence.

Last edited by calherc1; 07-06-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I'd love to have a CTS-V in addition to my Z06. Hell, I'd like to have one for a few days just to play with. If I needed a car w/ 4 seats to replace the Z06 it would definitely be my choice. Enjoy!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I do believe the CTS-V and Z have the same 0-60. The Z is about .7 to 1 sec quicker at the 1/4 mile, so clearly there's more happening towards the end of the track, so I wouldn't say you need to be on an "A" game, but you can't be alsee either !
Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
K.Shupe
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

My Caddy dealer has tried to get me to trade my Z for a V many times and as much as I like my Escalde the V is never gonna be a Z06. Yes, it does have 50 more hp and a very, very nice interior, but the Z is damn near 1000 lbs lighter and honestly the interior ain't that bad. I got my first Vette in 1970 and have had at least 1 in the garage since so I do have some prespective. Not to dis the V, it's a damn nice ride, but it ain't no Z................... just saying
Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

I agree with OP. My C6Z06 was definitely more "explosive" off the line, but I'm definitely enjoying my new V coupe. I am enjoying much more than I thought I would. With a few more mods, I'll be at 620-640 rwhp....not bad for a caddy.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Great review... great car. Thanks for your insights.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 PM
fst1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Caddy

I'm think'in it would be my 1st choice for a second car.....

FST1
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to agree, similar perception going from a C5 Z06 to a GTO and Gen I CTS-V. Similarly, I've owned many GM performance cars.

Nothing beats the power to weight ratio of a Corvette. The feel is visceral, raw. The other cars are fast and more comfortable, but the ability to induce a grin is definitely dulled by pulling around the extra #s
Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Comparison to Vette will depend on what’s important to you. There are of course many reasons why people have and love Vettes, but let’s grossly oversimplify and boil it down to two. Group A people are focused on ultimate performance and appearance. They tend to own or covet Z06/ZR1, and tend not to be very critical of areas where Vettes have shortcomings. Group B people like high performance sports or sporty cars, but are less focused on being the fastest. They tend to own base coupes, and while they aren’t seriously critical of areas where Vettes fall short, they are aware of them.

Group A people will translate equal 0-60 time and 0.7 seconds in quarter mile to being “definitely more explosive off the line” or “clearly more happening toward the end of the track”. Group B people would say “about the same”.

Group A would look at Z06/CTSV mileage ratings of 24 versus 19, and at the 800 pound weight difference, and say “sucks gas” and “dulled by pulling around the pounds”. Group B would say “admittedly disadvantages, but you get something in return”.

Group A would say “great for a big car, but not quick and agile”. Group B would say “amazingly close to Vette handling and agility”.

Group A would say “comfortable” or “very nice interior, but the Z06 honestly ain’t that bad”. Group B would say “you gotta be bleeping kidding me, if you’re going to turn molehills like the prior three into mountains, you gotta call this area the Himalayas”.

Obviously, I’m in group B, having owned Vette base coupes for 20 years prior to my current CTSV coupe. And group A, I’m not really being critical of you. You’re entitled to your opinions. I’m just poking a bit of fun at you. We are in total agreement on which car wins each individual comparison. I just wouldn’t go so far as to say those comparisons are apples and oranges. I think there’s too much powertrain, suspension, performance, and general heritage similarity to say apples and oranges. How about Winesap versus Golden Delicious apples?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by DoingOK
I agree with OP. My C6Z06 was definitely more "explosive" off the line, but I'm definitely enjoying my new V coupe. I am enjoying much more than I thought I would. With a few more mods, I'll be at 620-640 rwhp....not bad for a caddy.

...how in the hell do you see out of that thing?..............BTW looks killer!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
...how in the hell do you see out of that thing?..............BTW looks killer!
Visibility is about the same as my vette was. Not too bad, plus it has a backup camera and those beeping things.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM
calherc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just realized your from Rivervale NJ. Small world, I grew up there. I lived off Rivervale Road and Track Lane. Went to Holdrum Middle school and Pascack Valley High.

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Great review... great car. Thanks for your insights.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice review.As far as I'm concerned,I stick by my guns and say CADDY is a LUXURY CAR not a performance car no matter what they do or how much power they give it or how fast it goes down the road or around a track.Corvette is a race car,not a luxury car!GM should stop trying to mix apples and oranges!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

there's also Group C that have never driven a group A car and "think" it's about the same as a group B car....

:P

I'm in group A, and drive my group A car as a DD and find I it pretty comfy in all aspects...the CTS-V is a group A four door sedan
Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
bm bradley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drove the 2004 vette for 130K miles now I've got the cts v coupe, 15K miles... lack of run flats is an issue for me, ripped a sidewall blasting through the mountains above Ojai on the 33 and need a flatbed to get the car back home... the 1000 lbs on the V is noticeable and the gas mileage really does suck after driving a vette for 7 years however the ride is pretty nice and I love the electronic upgrades like the NAV etc... I did find the vette to be more comfortable though. did not get the racing seat however in the cts...all in all it's a great car and I'll see how I feel about keeping it in 2012 when the lease is up... right now: no regrets
Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Did montecello mptorsorts day on the track with CTS v.

Excellent vehicle. Excellent sports luxury vehicle. V series outsells AMG and M series combined.

That said ripping the roof off my 08 z51 m6 and driving is more fun.

Best sports sedan without a doubt especially for the money.

In addition to the Vette...... Definitely.

Replace? Nope

Jmo
Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Did montecello mptorsorts day on the track with CTS v.

Excellent vehicle. Excellent sports luxury vehicle. V series outsells AMG and M series combined.

That said ripping the roof off my 08 z51 m6 and driving is more fun.

Best sports sedan without a doubt especially for the money.

In addition to the Vette...... Definitely.

Replace? Nope

Jmo
Agree that CTSV can't totally replace the desire for a "grass roots" sports car. But here's where we differ by a little bit. I can't see a Vette as a hobby car. To me, if you own a Vette, it should be your daily driver. I don't see a Vette as being far enough "out there" to be a hobby car. If you want a hobby car, it should be way out there, a true hobby car. So I indeed traded my Vette for a CTSV coupe and am totally satisfied with that trade. For my hobby sports car, while I don't have one yet, I am considering a really hard core hobby sports car, a Morgan +8.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The biggest thing that I miss about the Vette is the raw visceral feeling when accelerating. The V does't feel fast because it's quiet and smooth which can be very deceiving.

Get notified of new replies

To My impression of CTS-V after 1 week

Quick Reply: My impression of CTS-V after 1 week