Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Inside Line Tests ZL1 vs 2013 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 AM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside Line Tests ZL1 vs 2013 GT500

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html
Old 06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

nothing unexpected, but cones in a parking lot? track? really??

whens the real test
Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
nothing unexpected
That's how I would've expected it to go as well. I'm sure the actual road course testing will yield similar results.
Both cars are truly amazing in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

i love the new ZL1 but i have to give ford credit that is a beast. It seems after watching numerous videos and reading many articles the only thing the ZL1 has is the handling but by a very very minimal margin. That being said the difference in the trap speed is ridiculous. Chevy needs to do something about the weight and power. Their are bolt on boss mustangs beating up on ZL1's thats not good.... we need the damn C7 already...
Old 06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their are 10 year old stock C5Z's running as fast if not faster times than the ZL1.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by GenerationX1
Their are 10 year old stock C5Z's running as fast if not faster times than the ZL1.
Its disappointing that with 580 HP the ZL1 has about the same performance as a GS Vette with 150 less HP
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Originally Posted by WestPalmCorvette
Its disappointing that with 580 HP the ZL1 has about the same performance as a GS Vette with 150 less HP
Is the Camaro disappointing, or the Vette just that good.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:06 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Minded
To me it's just the hp to weight ratio ordeal.

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing Chevrolet didn't want the Camaro ZL1 to surpass the C6 Z06's performance... they didn't have to worry about the ZR1 as much. IMHO
Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vette_Minded
Good question/point.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GenerationX1
Exactly my thoughts. I ran a 12.2 at 118 in my stock '04 Z06. To think you can buy them now for $20K is crazy. For the dollar spent, the C5 Z06 is the best bang for your buck out there.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
i love the new ZL1 but i have to give ford credit that is a beast. It seems after watching numerous videos and reading many articles the only thing the ZL1 has is the handling but by a very very minimal margin.
Based on the wording about their mountain pass driving, it doesn't look like the ZL1's handling advantage is so minimal.
"Nothing is more humbling than watching a car with 100 fewer horses and the extra weight of an NFL running back disappear into the distance on a back road. But that's exactly what happened when we brought the two cars together to establish which is the best-driving pony car ever. The answer, as improbable as it seemed, was as obvious as the Camaro's shrinking taillights.
Wait. Isn't this a Camaro? Yes, yes it is. The best Camaro ever.
The angriest Mustang in history, the car that had face-punched the ZL1 for months at auto shows and in Web forums was being systematically annihilated by that exact car. Every corner was another opportunity for the Camaro to drop trou and wave its giant bowtie-emblazoned butt in the GT500's face.
Driver swaps ensued to ensure impartiality, but a repeat performance sealed the deal."

And this is the GT500 with the optional $3500 performance diff and suspension package. A standard GT500 would be in an entirely lower class of vehicle, by the sounds of it.

Ford has a great-looking package, definitely fast in a straight line. But to match the ZL1 on those detail points (ride, shifter, steering feel, balance, feedback, superior traction management system) is probably a lot harder to do than for the ZL1 to make up the straight line speed.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 AM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
Based on the wording about their mountain pass driving, it doesn't look like the ZL1's handling advantage is so minimal.
"Nothing is more humbling than watching a car with 100 fewer horses and the extra weight of an NFL running back disappear into the distance on a back road. But that's exactly what happened when we brought the two cars together to establish which is the best-driving pony car ever. The answer, as improbable as it seemed, was as obvious as the Camaro's shrinking taillights.
Wait. Isn't this a Camaro? Yes, yes it is. The best Camaro ever.
The angriest Mustang in history, the car that had face-punched the ZL1 for months at auto shows and in Web forums was being systematically annihilated by that exact car. Every corner was another opportunity for the Camaro to drop trou and wave its giant bowtie-emblazoned butt in the GT500's face.
Driver swaps ensued to ensure impartiality, but a repeat performance sealed the deal."

And this is the GT500 with the optional $3500 performance diff and suspension package. A standard GT500 would be in an entirely lower class of vehicle, by the sounds of it.

Ford has a great-looking package, definitely fast in a straight line. But to match the ZL1 on those detail points (ride, shifter, steering feel, balance, feedback, superior traction management system) is probably a lot harder to do than for the ZL1 to make up the straight line speed.
like I've said for years, till the Mustang has an IRS, I won't buy one.. that's why I still drive an "old" 03 SVT Cobra, and have watched newer Mustangs with their stick rear axle get destroyed in handling where it really matters, on real roads, not a track.

a quote from the article... case in point.

"Perhaps most significant is that, in the real world, where bumps too often occur in less-than-ideal locations, the Camaro is more confident. The tables might turn marginally on a smooth road course, but the ZL1 will always be the more rewarding — and easier — car to drive."

Last edited by C5 Pewter Coupe; 06-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Another head to head test in August edition of Car & Driver.

Overall points
GT500: 206
ZL1: 210

Identical times at Grattan, but the Camaro was more consistent. After 3 laps in the Mustang, there were concerns about oil temps (and this is with the SVT Track Pack). Similar comments about the ZL1's better ride, overall refinement, steering, handling balance, and shifter.

"One's a gorilla, the other's a racehorse. Which one would you rather ride?"

That's one fast gorilla, though. 0-150 in 17.6s beats the ZL1 by just over 4s.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
C3DeedlyDee
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...0/viewall.html

Automobile took both to Gingerman

Shelby- 1:45.21
ZL1- 1:44.53
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

At this point it appears that the 2013 GT500 is clearly quicker/faster in any form of straight line race...but the ZL1 will likely run quicker laps almost every time at most road courses.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I saw my first ZL1 (black) on a dealer's lot...DAM that thing is hot...57K..
Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Result in Motor Trend "Head 2 Head." The Shelby was actually faster over a lap. But only one, after which its brakes deteriorated whereas the ZL1 was more consistent. A closer verdict than other tests, but...that's 4-0 for the ZL1 in tests so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Inside Line Tests ZL1 vs 2013 GT500

Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
Result in Motor Trend "Head 2 Head." The Shelby was actually faster over a lap. But only one, after which its brakes deteriorated whereas the ZL1 was more consistent. A closer verdict than other tests, but...that's 4-0 for the ZL1 in tests so far.

Did that GT500 have the track package? If so, it's disappointing that the brakes perform so poorly.....I'd skip the track package and just go aftermarket on the brakes since they seem to be a weak point. Around town no problem....in a head to head comparison with multiple laps, it's a problem.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd take the GT500 without track package. Still be a great car on the streets and a monster at the strip.
If I want a great handling car....I'd just buy the much cheaper BRZ/FR-S which is supposed to be incredible.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

The GT500s in the other three tests had the Track Package, so I'd be surprised if this one didn't. Being the second test for Motor Trend (who did a test published a month earlier), Ford should know the inevitable ZL1 comparisons are coming and should have equipped it with such. Though I think the Track Package only has additional coolers for the engine, transmission, and diff. I could be wrong, but it shouldn't affect the brakes.
Article is online:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._shelby_gt500/
Old 06-30-2012, 01:21 AM
vigalante
Team Owner

Revan Racing Sebring 2013 GT500 Lap Time 2.29.339

This car is awesome!!

2.29.339 on street tires and stock brake pads and lines. All I did was change the fluid to Brembo LCF 600, resonator delete and a tune from Jon Lund. If anybody wants to know, Catalytic Converter Temperature Protection is Active.

Went to post Time Trial Compound and got put on the scales.

Less than a quarter tank of fuel (42 miles to empty) race weight with driver....3,993 lbs and I weigh 180.

Comparison Data:
Running with a couple of Corvette buddies of mine both on Hoosiers with Pfadt Coilovers. Z06 built motor, (race car) 2.24.874 / ZR1 with tune 2.27.226

I'm running the factory tires!!!!! 20's out back and 19's up front!!!

All things considered I am extremely impressed with the performance of this car.

I am blown away. I was hoping for a 2.35 as a possible best.

For comparo purposes my previous personal best in my 2007 with an iron block was 2.26 with a Griggs ST chassis and Hoosier R6's. I have not been back to Sebring as of yet with my Griggs TT Chassis and aluminum built motor and KB 3.6.

All laps have been recorded. Will try and post video in the next couple days.

I can only imagine what would be possible with some R compound tires.

I also used the Accelerometer. Awesome tool.

Recorded 1.13 G's left and 1.17 G's right. Braking G's were 1.17 G's and Acceleration G's were .73 G's.

Also, I only run 98 Octane no ethanol on the track. The tune is a 93 street tune.

Revan Racing 2013 GT500 vs. Torq ZL1 on Track at Homestead 6/30/2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well boys it's on!

I'm going to square off with Erik from Torq and his modded ZL1 at Homestead this weekend.

His car already has been modified with a tune, pulley, intake headers etc.. I'm going to go the same way I ran at Sebring except I'll possibly switch to a Cobra Jet throttle body.

We will be taking video from multiple angles on both cars and doing some lead/chase exchanges. If anything people can see braking tendencies and overall handling aspects of each car from different viewing angles.

Sure everybody would love to see these cars in stock form but how many of us are actually going to leave these cars bone stock anyway!!

We will get out there and lay down some hot lap times for comparison purposes and perhaps I can put Erik's Vbox in my car as well for data overlay.

Throw out the magazine bullcrap this is real world same day, same track GT500 versus ZL1 between two drivers with a lot of track time.

Modified or not it's going to be a good shootout and I'm looking forward to some seat time.

Quick Reply: Inside Line Tests ZL1 vs 2013 GT500