Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Breaking News: Redesigned 2014 Mustang GT To Have 455HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by barry1me
I love GM, and I love vettes But Ford is dominating with the capabilities of the Coyote 5.0 motor. Its pretty sad that ford can make 430hp with a non direct injection 5.0l in 2011, and GM struggles to make 450hp with a 6.2L direction injection in 2014.
Seriously missing the point. Except in Europe due to taxes, and some racing formulas, HP/L is irrelevant. What you should care about in an engine is HP/lb, HP/size and MPG/HP. How is GM doing based on these "real world" criteria? Pretty well, I bet. I suspect Ford is "dominating" nobody. Now I do not really care if GM or Ford "wins" in that competition makes them both much better. But, if you want to go faster and pay less for the gasoline to do so, then you want the lighter, more compact, and more fuel-efficient engine when HP is equal. If it happens to have more "empty space" in the combustion chambers that's really not relevant.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
I don't think some people here realize what ford can do. They aren't hurting for money like chevy is. So if they wanted to produce an exotic, and they already have, they could. Ford is taking the mustang in a whole new direction in its next generation. It's rumored to drop a lot of weight and going to be a much better balanced car all around than what its been. Don't count Ford out. They have some good stuff under their sleeve for the new car.

Well then, that settles it. Until that magical mystery lighter, better balanced Mustang comes out, the Mustang is what it is. A mass produced over powered pig that is generally good for nothing more than getting the groceries. That is as long as there are no turns along the way.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
As with every thread...I'm just gonna find the need to call you an idiot.

Let me just ask you...do you think the 450lb Mustang will weigh the same as a 450hp Corvette? NOooooooooooo...therefore vette be much fasta vetteman...

IS 450hp final Corvette number confirmed by GM and SAE vetteman...Nooooooooo

Is Viper under 60k dollars vetteman...nooooooooooo

Is Corvette ZR1 or Z06 horsepower released yet...NOOOOOOooooooo

I feel like you should be put in the corner for acting like a stupid child in every thread. Are you really this stupid or is it just an act?
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt----- I don't think he is acting
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Let me just ask you...do you think the 450lb Mustang will weigh the same as a 450hp Corvette? NOooooooooooo...therefore vette be much fasta vetteman...

IS 450hp final Corvette number confirmed by GM and SAE vetteman...Nooooooooo

Is Viper under 60k dollars vetteman...nooooooooooo

Is Corvette ZR1 or Z06 horsepower released yet...NOOOOOOooooooo
OK, let me make the point s-l-o-w for you:

A base Mustang GT is a lower form of life - it's sad that it can even be within 30HP of a Vette, or God forbid, higher. Hell, many 'sedans' have near or over 400HP these days

If you just want a fun little track car, go pick up one of those little Lotuses.

If you want to talk about cars being a force to be reckoned with, the 640HP Viper is one. The 505HP C6Z06 is one. NOTHING under the C7 banner exists yet to make that claim, so as of now, 450HP doesn't walk the walk.

If it comes in at 475HP that will help - but I think that's just wishful dreaming.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM
barry1me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Seriously missing the point. Except in Europe due to taxes, and some racing formulas, HP/L is irrelevant. What you should care about in an engine is HP/lb, HP/size and MPG/HP. How is GM doing based on these "real world" criteria? Pretty well, I bet. I suspect Ford is "dominating" nobody. Now I do not really care if GM or Ford "wins" in that competition makes them both much better. But, if you want to go faster and pay less for the gasoline to do so, then you want the lighter, more compact, and more fuel-efficient engine when HP is equal. If it happens to have more "empty space" in the combustion chambers that's really not relevant.
Cant disagree with some of your points. the C6 vette was a top performer in all of those catagories. I got 28-30mpg on several highway trips with 09 Z. Thats incredible for a car that has 505hp. But at the same time my Brothers 2013 GT with 420 regulary gets 23mpg with mixed drivind. There is no need to derail this thread in a fan boy pissing match. Im a car enthusiast,I grew up in the industry, and make my living in the industry today. I love all american made cars and am excited to see what Ford, GM, and Chrysler are doing. I think we will all be excited once GM offically releases HP numbers on LT1. Ford has been taking names with there engine technology and vehicles in the last few years. With that being said my 2013 Ford Taurus with Myford touch is a piece of crap and I cant wait to get my next car.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter liked her rustang. But, when I traded it in on a new Camaro, well she forgot all about the rustang. But, then if the world centered around the fastest 1/4 mile, it would have had a chance.....NOT.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
OK, let me make the point s-l-o-w for you:

A base Mustang GT is a lower form of life - it's sad that it can even be within 30HP of a Vette, or God forbid, higher. Hell, many 'sedans' have near or over 400HP these days

If you just want a fun little track car, go pick up one of those little Lotuses.

If you want to talk about cars being a force to be reckoned with, the 640HP Viper is one. The 505HP C6Z06 is one. NOTHING under the C7 banner exists yet to make that claim, so as of now, 450HP doesn't walk the walk.

If it comes in at 475HP that will help - but I think that's just wishful dreaming.
What happened to the designers--- did they quit before getting to the rear?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by barry1me
Cant disagree with some of your points. the C6 vette was a top performer in all of those catagories. I got 28-30mpg on several highway trips with 09 Z. Thats incredible for a car that has 505hp. But at the same time my Brothers 2013 GT with 420 regulary gets 23mpg with mixed drivind. There is no need to derail this thread in a fan boy pissing match. Im a car enthusiast,I grew up in the industry, and make my living in the industry today. I love all american made cars and am excited to see what Ford, GM, and Chrysler are doing. I think we will all be excited once GM offically releases HP numbers on LT1. Ford has been taking names with there engine technology and vehicles in the last few years. With that being said my 2013 Ford Taurus with Myford touch is a piece of crap and I cant wait to get my next car.
Most impressive! But, I do wonder what the weight and outside dimensions of that engine are. I bet (somebody know?) it is heavier and bigger. It might not even fit in the Vette...

BTW I really liked the pics of that 2015 Mustang concept that have been floating around -- a major touch of Aston . But, I bet that is getting at best mixed reviews from the Mustang crowd -- and I wonder if Ford would take that big of a risk...
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Breaking News!!!

Ford Motor Company today announced a new Mustang with the biggest engine Ford has ever produced. In an effort to keep pace with the new Chevrolet Corvette, they have completely redesigned the Mustang from the ground up. The new Mustang chassis is the lightest ever. In an effort to improve handling they have lowered the car to reduce the center of gravity. A representative from Chevrolet who wishes to remain anonymous has indicated that he has seen the new Mustang and as a result, engineers at Chevrolet are scrambling back to the drawing boards with the pending release of the C7 Corvette.

Here is the latest spy shot of one of the new Mustangs in camo.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 AM
barry1me
Instructor

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Most impressive! But, I do wonder what the weight and outside dimensions of that engine are. I bet (somebody know?) it is heavier and bigger. It might not even fit in the Vette...

BTW I really liked the pics of that 2015 Mustang concept that have been floating around -- a major touch of Aston . But, I bet that is getting at best mixed reviews from the Mustang crowd -- and I wonder if Ford would take that big of a risk...
the 5.0l is a pretty big sized motor, but I believe weight is 430lbs.

Last edited by barry1me; 01-16-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by slief
Well then, that settles it. Until that magical mystery lighter, better balanced Mustang comes out, the Mustang is what it is. A mass produced over powered pig that is generally good for nothing more than getting the groceries. That is as long as there are no turns along the way.
This is probably the stupidest post in this thread.
S.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 AM
barry1me
Instructor

Breaking News!!!

Ford Motor Company today announced a new Mustang with the biggest engine Ford has ever produced. In an effort to keep pace with the new Chevrolet Corvette, they have completely redesigned the Mustang from the ground up. The new Mustang chassis is the lightest ever. In an effort to improve handling they have lowered the car to reduce the center of gravity. A representative from Chevrolet who wishes to remain anonymous has indicated that he has seen the new Mustang and as a result, engineers at Chevrolet are scrambling back to the drawing boards with the pending release of the C7 Corvette.

LOL thats funny.....but all kidding aside are you serious? Ford typically is 10-20% smaller displacement then GM and makes the same or more HP then GM

2013 Shelby 5.8L 662hp
2013 ZL1 6.2L 585hp 227lbs heavier then shelby.

Last edited by barry1me; 01-16-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Breaking News!!!

No way thats real. Look at his shirt. It has a Chevy bow tie on it.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Breaking News!!!

THAT is a friggin classic!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Breaking News!!!

That looks more like a chevy motor to me. I can see it now " Introducing the all new 34.3L 630HP LS43"
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 AM
barry1me
Instructor

Originally Posted by bladex10
That looks more like a chevy motor to me. I can see it now " Introducing the all new 34.3L 630HP LS43"
lol
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Slammedc5..
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well throw this in there. Shelby is releasing the GT 500 super snake in 2013 with an 850hp option

Get notified of new replies

To Breaking News: Redesigned 2014 Mustang GT To Have 455HP

Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

OP, first of all, the C7 is going to have a decent bit more than 450.

Secondly, I think you need to check your math if you think that 420+20 = 450...

Thirdly, there is a great deal more to performance than HP. But with that said, I WOULD be disappointed if the C7 only came with 450 hp.

Originally Posted by Jai 302
Let's not forget that the 2015 Mustang is also rumored to weigh 3300-3400 pounds.
A near 700hp Shelby with IRS weighing 3400 pounds would be mad. Forget C7, that's going to go right after the Viper. I believe the C7 ZR1 might be faster though.
Whoever says GM has the Camaro to compete with the Mustang needs to understand that GM will never make a top Camaro with the same power/weight ratio as a Z06 or ZR1 Vette. I think after 2015 the Mustang would compete neither with the Corvette or Camaro directly but occupy a niche somewhere in between the two
And the C7 was rumored to weight under 3,000 lbs, so... yeah, shows you about how much rumors are worth.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

This just proves youre an out of touch with reality biased chevy nut rider. Nice job
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Breaking News!!!

That is some funny ****.

Quick Reply: Breaking News: Redesigned 2014 Mustang GT To Have 455HP