Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Help! The issue I am having with my Dodge 3.9 Magnum is driving me nuts! No one..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM
jd
Team Owner

Location: A Florida man who is superfly in the doublewide - Bokeelia, FLA-USA
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15

Default Help! The issue I am having with my Dodge 3.9 Magnum is driving me nuts! No one..

Can figure it out, even on dodgeforum.

My first problem was I bought a Dodge

I have an issue with the catalytic converter. I will be going on my second one in 1 year. The one I have now is clogged.

Ill try to make this short, but it will be hard to do. I bought my van on the intent of refurbishing it and keeping it for a long time. It is a 2003 B-Series - Elk Conversion with 3.9 V6.
Since I purchased it, it ran just OK. Then I started to get misfire codes. I took it to a shop in the area and they pretty much were idiots, so I took it over as my own project.
When I took it to the first shop, I was getting the misfire code cylinder #4. After going through (and installing new) plugs, wires, coil, dist. pickup coil, cap, fuel pump, catalytic converter, muffler, O2 sensors, TPS, MAP, cleaned the IAC, IAT, and coolant sensor - the PCM still said misfire. So he installed new heads. Which did solve the misfire problem, but then his inexperienced tech didnt use exhaust gaskets so it had an exhaust leak which I mistakend for a lifter tap. So I installed new lifters, push rods, and roller rockers. Then I figured out it was the exhaust gasket and I fixed that and the engine seemed happy for a while.
So, after driving it for about a week, the last lifter collapsed and I had to put a new one in. I did that it. It actually still taps, but that is another issue - or maybe is it part of the problem?
Then the PCM gave out, so I got a rebuilt one.

It has run OK for about 4 months, and now I am certian the catalyic converter is clogged again. The van wont rev over 3k RPM and a loud noise comes out of the intake when you get to that RPM. Also the exhaust is really hot.

so....WTF...if the cat got clogged again, that means unburnt fuel is getting into the cat...why would this be happening after all I have done!

Any ideas anyone? This motors isnt technologically complex...it is pretty much old school with OBDII on it. I should be able to figure this out, but I am stumped.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Help! The issue I am having with my Dodge 3.9 Magnum is driving me nuts! No one..