Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ralph Gilles talks with Motor Trend

Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Ralph Gilles talks with Motor Trend

I have to say, I have a whole new respect for Ralph Gilles after watching this. A stand up guy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/s...tor-trend-vip/
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Huh?
What did he say that gave you this whole new respect?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Huh?
What did he say that gave you this whole new respect?
He told it like it was, while still giving respect to all the cars SRT beat.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I the only one that is not a fan of the new Viper? I'd rather have a C7.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
E erybody has the right to their own opinion, but IMO all though I really like the vette, in no way can it compare to the new viper.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
So let me get this straight: if someone offered you a new Viper, or a new C7 Stingray, you would take the Stingray?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ralph Gilles reported that they tested the Viper T/A on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and it was 2.5 seconds/lap faster than the Pirellis. So I'd say ~2.6 seconds/lap faster than the ZR1 on equivalent tires should be good evidence of the new car's capabilities. Seems the Corsas are maybe in line with the Super Sports..
Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So Ralph had initially blamed Randy as "fearing" the Viper. Yet in this interview, we hear:
That first Viper's rear suspension was out of alignment. (Randy's fault or SRT's?)
That first Viper's brakes were brand new and not yet bedded in. (Randy's fault or SRT's?)

I'd think that driving a misaligned Viper on virgin brakes to that time was a testament to Randy's driving prowess and not necessarily damning.

I couldn't quite get where Ralph mentioned GM having the Michelin contract and that being denied to Dodge. From what I gathered, he said they had already stopped developing the Cup in '08 and that they were developing Trofeo R's with Pirelli for the new car, just that they were not ready yet. There wasn't even a Cup in the new Viper size, so they had to make a wheel to fit.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
E erybody has the right to their own opinion, but IMO all though I really like the vette, in no way can it compare to the new viper.
It is to early for comparisons. Not to mention, the Viper is a $120K plus car vs. the base C7 which is suppose to be in the $60K range. They are aiming for different markets. But yes, the Viper should be faster all around than the base C7.

The true test will be the high performance model of the C7 whenever it arrives. The question will then be what do you compare it to? The GTS or this new T/A Viper?

Did I read somewhere where they are only going to make 33 of the T/A versions? How many ACRs did they make a year?

Scott
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be faster than the base C7? The Viper will stop for coffee and a donut to let the base C7 catch up...lol. If the car ran 2.5s faster on cups than it annihilated the ZR1, and it's not even the ACR, just the TA. GM will have lots of work to do to keep up!!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Should be faster than the base C7? The Viper will stop for coffee and a donut to let the base C7 catch up...lol. If the car ran 2.5s faster on cups than it annihilated the ZR1, and it's not even the ACR, just the TA. GM will have lots of work to do to keep up!!
Of course it is faster, poor wording on my part.

I bet GM will be up to the challenge on their zr1 or whatever it is called with the C7. I bet they will beat the time attack version.

However, the ACR is more of a track dedicated/focused car, it better be the fastest when it comes out or Ralph will have to go through the exercise of creating another version quickly like he had to do with the Time Attack.

On a side note, I don't believe Ralph's comments about the current car being 2.5 seconds faster on the Cups. Even Randy P. said the GTS' problems were unrelated to tires. I think Randy has more credibility through all the accusations and hype generated by Ralph, but that is Ralph's job to thump his chest and declare his product the best as he is trying to sell them. I just don't trust a car salesman!

I don't think a new ZR1 would beat a new ACR as it should retain more of a GT car feel, where you can comfortably drive it around town touring. They won't sacrifice that for ACR numbers.

Now for competition, how about Chevy bring back a ZR-2 to go after the ACR. That would be cool! Have not had a ZR-2 since 71? Been a while!

Scott
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

You are right in that Randy said it wasn't the tires, it was the fact that the first car he ran was a mule and the camber was out on the right rear tire, on a course like LS that is huge! In the same breath though there is no doubt that cups would make any car faster, I guess a good test would be to let the ZR1 run on the Corsas too.

It's a great thing that SRT is so adamant about being fastest, it gives GM something to shoot for.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that is not a fan of the new Viper?
I am a viper guy, on my second one (Gen II, now Gen III) and not at all sold on the 2013 model. It's not about hp or drag/track times. I drive mine on public roads and not interested in who gets to the next red light first or whether the 1/4 is 11.2 or 11.3 or whatever. Just don't like the look of it from many angles, although not seen one in person.

By the time I migrate to a Gen IV, maybe a C7ZO6 will be offered and seduce back to corvettes which I previously enjoyed
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
On a side note, I don't believe Ralph's comments about the current car being 2.5 seconds faster on the Cups.

They tested the TA with true racing slicks and it was ~2.9 sec per lap faster than on the Corsas. So Ralph is saying that the Cups are only 0.4 sec a lap slower than a true race slick? That is just pure BS. Ask anyone who has run both a DOT track tire (Cup or R6/A6) on their car and then switched to a true slick and they will tell you there is a 2-3 sec a lap difference.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

@ racerns, In the video Ralph said they ran on cups and were 2.5 seconds faster. I also did hear they ran on slicks too and were 2.9 faster, but he specifically said cups in the video. I can't imagine he would BS after the firestorm from a few months ago. Either way they annihilated the ZR1 record with cups on the car! All the smack talk the ZR1 owners were doing was about a mule that was out of line! Just stating the facts...As to your statement regarding slicks I do agree with you, not sure though if they ran the same day which could alter the times obviously.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
@ racerns, In the video Ralph said they ran on cups and were 2.5 seconds faster. I also did hear they ran on slicks too and were 2.9 faster, but he specifically said cups in the video. I can't imagine he would BS after the firestorm from a few months ago. Either way they annihilated the ZR1 record with cups on the car! All the smack talk the ZR1 owners were doing was about a mule that was out of line! Just stating the facts...As to your statement regarding slicks I do agree with you, not sure though if they ran the same day which could alter the times obviously.
Ralph also said the original 13 viper was always faster than the zr1. This was done while testing their mules vs zr1s! But it was not when it came out and he upset the Viper community. I would not be shocked if their testing was actually done vs. an older zr1 that did not have PTM or maybe even the cups. It is the little details like that the tend to get over looked when doing research in company having tremendous financial troubles. Just saying he is first and foremost a car salesman. That is meant as no disrespect to him, its just his job to promote his cars.

I also don't believe the slicks are only .4 seconds faster than the cups.

Look it is no surprise that the Time Attack was faster than the Zr1. Even if it is a second or two faster, it should not surprise anyone. They went back to the office and made some track adjustments after the first. I like that, shows he loves his job and his cars.

I guess the disappointment some may have with the Time Attack is that they are only going to make 33 of them. So the odds are that you are unlikely to ever come across one unless you own it, and that may be impossible in itself. Can you imagine the dealer markup on these!

Scott
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 740 Likes on 291 Posts

QUOTE=forg0tmypen;1583555878]So let me get this straight: if someone offered you a new Viper, or a new C7 Stingray, you would take the Stingray?[/QUOTE]

Get notified of new replies

To Ralph Gilles talks with Motor Trend

Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Viper but, I feel that a new Viper should have beat the ZR1 handley regardless of track, tires or driver. The Fact that it didn't and actually got beat IMO is a win for Chevy.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Originally Posted by Vette_Minded
I like the Viper but, I feel that a new Viper should have beat the ZR1 handley regardless of track, tires or driver. The Fact that it didn't and actually got beat IMO is a win for Chevy.

It was the tires, brakes, suspension, a mule, etc., but it was the same as the mules that were suppose to be beating the crap out of the zr1s when srt was testing the new viper.

It came out and it lost. Egg on face.

Now they have corrected it with the track attack and beat it by what was .08 of a second. It still counts as a win, just not as overwhelming as expected.

I think they should have said we don't care if the GTS is a tad slower, forget the time and money put in the Time Attack, and just focus on getting the ACR done right. If people complained just say our track times will be handled by our track car, the ACR.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have love for both cars. Part that confuses me is why people are getting so upset when the cars are basically identical from a physics stand point. Seriously, power, torque, weight, transmission, it does not get any closer than this. So I'm confused why anyone would expect the viper to win by something insane like 6 seconds? Even if the wheels and tires on both cars were identical one car isn't gonna end up 1200 ft ahead. Not trying to start a fight, just doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ralph Gilles talks with Motor Trend