Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Good mechanic in St Louis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
weinerschizel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Good mechanic in St Louis?

My sister lives in St. Louis. I live in Tucson Arizona. So unfortunately, I cannot make it down to fix her car when it breaks. Does anybody know of a ROCK SOLID mechanic in St. Louis?

I do all my own mechanic work. EVERYTHING aside from mounting and balancing tires. Never used mechanics before. I have worked on 3 buick centuries now. She's driving one of them.

Her plugs and wires are no good and she's taken it to 3 mechanics now all of which refused to do any tune up as the computer doesn't tell them to do a tune up. The symptoms are exactly what plugs and wires are. It misfires engine wobbles, and the power is off and on just like a misfire while going down the road. Already went through checks for fuel pump (has good pressure) and cat (no code tripped - code reliable as it has extra o2 to check for it, engine temps normal, and no rattling when tapped). The wires & plugs are 15 years old anyways.... Yet all the mechanics refuse to change them. I called the current mechanic shop she has the car at and he said he HAS to do his computer diagnosis before changing plugs and that no misfire code was thrown.

This is ridiculous. I own the exact same car she does down to the same year! Most recently my plugs and wires went bad. I had the EXACT symptoms she has. The computer NEVER threw a misfire code. It was telling me it was running rich or something like that (I don't remember exactly). However, I knew the plugs and wires were old so I tinkered with them (changed one plug cause I'm a cheap bastard), then wiggled the wires. It ran better so I knew that was it and tuned it up.

Almost need somebody to vent with. I cannot believe a mechanic wouldn't just jump up and down if you pull in and ask for a tune up w/o going through all the bs computer scans and in the end doing nothing. She's been to a handful of mechanics who charged her for diagnostics but wouldn't complete a repair / tune up.

Anyways, if you know a good mechanic that will simply do a tune up in St. Louis please let me know.

Last edited by weinerschizel; 11-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM
tom46818
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in St. Louis yet I know of an great mechanic in Kansas City.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:32 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I would think it shouldn't be too hard to find a reputable mechanic to work on a Buick Century (in STL), but I could be wrong. If it was a Corvette, I could give you the name of a reputable mechanic in the STL area.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM
weinerschizel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey thanks guys I end up going through Google maps and calling the top rated mechanics to interview them. I seemed to like Mike Piazza Automotive. They sounded pretty good when I called on the phone and took time to listen to the problem / symptoms.

I will post how it goes on here after she gets the car back.

I'm just mind boggled by how much some mechanics rely on the computer scans. And how little they can figure out on their own. I cannot help but laugh a little as I recall blowing up the motor in my Z28 and the computer didn't even trip a code.

Get notified of new replies

To Good mechanic in St Louis?