Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

59 Bel Air LS1 x 6 speed build - when cars were cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
All that is looking mighty fine, Russ!

But where's the grill?!?
In my best Cheech Moran: Ahhh mannnn… Isn't it over the front bumper?

Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 12-12-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 12-12-2014, 12:29 AM
earl schieb
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

That's hard nasty but rewarding work. I walked that path with my 59 Elky in 1999. Might as well get ready---you're gonna be surprised how fast that stuff goes from perfectly polished to so-so. I wouldn't POR it, personally. I would go for a ceramic clearcoat as a last resort. Are you familiar with Shineseal(formerly ZoopSeal)? It's like RainX for polished aluminum.
I'm anxious to see outside pics. I love a good 59.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:48 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by earl schieb
That's hard nasty but rewarding work. I walked that path with my 59 Elky in 1999. Might as well get ready---you're gonna be surprised how fast that stuff goes from perfectly polished to so-so. I wouldn't POR it, personally. I would go for a ceramic clearcoat as a last resort. Are you familiar with Shineseal(formerly ZoopSeal)? It's like RainX for polished aluminum.
I'm anxious to see outside pics. I love a good 59.
Actually I kind of enjoyed it. but then it's a new endeavor for me and I love learning new tricks. if I had to do it for a living I'm sure my attitude would quickly deteriorate

it rained cats and dogs last night, along with a report of 117 MPH winds on mountain tops about 30 miles from us. our power was out last night for a few hours, but back on now. still raining smaller animals however.
it's bound to clear up here again after the arc hits land.

Russ
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 PM
WOLF ECHO
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Late to the party, but looking forward to the finished product.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:21 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Lots of little tidbits got taken care of over the past two days. I sprayed the insides of the doors and quarter panels with undercoating, the rear left quarrier window was replaced (had a crack in it), the light housings, front and rear, were refurbished, installed, and wired up. chrome exhaust tips installed (in front of rear wheels). plates put back on, along with a few pieces of small trim….. just little stuff here and there.
The sun poked out for a wile this afternoon, so I hurried and got the car out of the shop, gave it a quick wash job to get the 3 pounds of dust off and snapped a few photos. by the time I got to actually shooting, the sun was behind the clouds again, but hey… at least it wasn't raining and 50 mph winds like the past couple of days. I noticed as I backed the car out of the shop that I still needed to install the outside mirrors, but I didn't get them on until after the photos, and by then it was dark. oh well. I mounted them on the very back of the front fenders. about an inch forward of the door. visible through the curved portion of the windshield. I think they look better there, and they aren't blocked by the vent window that way either. I like the look, but you'll have to wait until the next sunny day to see for yourself

Russ
Old 12-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Ah, she's a beaut Russ!

I like the idea of mounting the mirrors on the fenders - saves a lot of wear and tear.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:46 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Ah, she's a beaut Russ!

I like the idea of mounting the mirrors on the fenders - saves a lot of wear and tear.
Thanks Zoom.

I played with mirror location quite a bit before deciding where to place them. they looked good way out on the fenders where they were when I got the car, but they were pretty useless. placing them by the wing window has the best rear view IF the drivers seat is adjusted right. the trouble is, if a different driver has to adjust the seat forward or back, then the wing post is likely to block the full view of the mirror. I struck a happy medium by placing it where I did on the rear of the fender.
BTW. I need to rephrase what I said about how nice these repop mirrors are. they are very nice LOOKING, but the drill pattern didn't match the mounting bracket and the gasket had to be cut to allow it to fit over the mounting bracket properly. then I had to cut the mirror mounting screw as it was so long that it hit the inside of the mounting bracket before the mirror was secure. I worked it out, but geeze guys.

Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 12-13-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

You, my friend, have talent and vision. She's a beauty
Old 12-15-2014, 08:00 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

This isn't actually what I had planned for today, as I started out to just investigate how I was going to set up the door panels, and by 4:00 or so I had actually built them out of 1/8" pvc sheet.
The way the factory assembled the original cardboard ones was really weird to me, but I'm sure they had their reasons to do it the way they did. I'm doing away with the nail strip around the edges, that held them to the doors, for one thing. I had thought of drilling and using plastic christmas trees, like on most 70s and 80s cars used, but an upholstery friend of mine suggested I conceder using velcro on the edges, and it sounded logical to me, so that's the plan. the metal top hooks over the door sill and there were 4 screws along the bottom that will remain, so not much more that needs holding anyway.
maybe tomorrow I'll get the kick panels installed, like I had planned to do today.

Russ
Old 12-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

How did you connect the PVC to the top rails? The PVC takes the place of the cardboard? That solves the warpage from heading its ugly rear in the future.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

How did you connect the PVC to the top rails? The PVC takes the place of the cardboard? That solves the warpage from heading its ugly rear in the future.
Top rails were originally stapled onto the cardboard panels. when I assembled to the pvc I just drilled where the staples had been with 1/16th drill and placed wire staples in and hammered them over on the pvc side. I had a bunch of wire staples left over from the corvette A arm flap seals that happen to be the perfect size.
Pvc was recommended by, and purchased from, my upholstery guy. cuts easily with tin snips. not cheep at $80.00 for 4x8 sheet, but very nice to work with and, as you said, waterproof.

Russ
Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea. No more worrying about water ruining the cardboard backing when cruising with the windows down and it starts to drizzle.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by mspry
Great idea. No more worrying about water ruining the cardboard backing when cruising with the windows down and it starts to drizzle.
Just washing a car gets lots of water in the doors also. + these cars tend to sit in unheated garages a lot during winter months.

We had some other obligations to take care of, so not a lot of work on the car today. I have gotten the kick panels installed, as well as some interior trim put back in place. also got the trunk weatherstrip put in yesterday and adjusted some outside side trim so the various pieces all line up again after shimming the doors and fenders. just more tidbits that needed tidbitting before she goes off for upholstery.

Russ
Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Today I finally got to play with some masking tape to get some ideas for the interior design. I put the seats all in, and installed the door panels, ***** and handles etc, to better envision what it might look like. after a dozen or so different designs I think I've decided on this one.

I still need to set and stare at it for a few hours to determine what areas I want to be which shade of saddle, but the design itself is what I was after at this point. the masked area will be inset a small amount also.
Jennifer originally wanted me to keep the green plaid like the stock back seat, but apparently she's finally over that, as I haven't heard her mention it lately, and she did say today that she "likes my hokey stick"…… or maybe…. naaaaaa.

Russ
Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 PM
earl schieb
Burning Brakes

It follows the console.....looks good, I think.
I hope the caramel color on the console goes away though ....it's a warm shade--too warm(red/maroon) for the cold shade green(metallic/pearl pulls a warm organic green toward "cold"). Is your trim guy gonna match everything up to the carpet? I hope so... I'm a color guy, so I couldn't hold my tongue
Old 12-19-2014, 03:42 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by earl schieb
It follows the console.....looks good, I think.
I hope the caramel color on the console goes away though ....it's a warm shade--too warm(red/maroon) for the cold shade green(metallic/pearl pulls a warm organic green toward "cold"). Is your trim guy gonna match everything up to the carpet? I hope so... I'm a color guy, so I couldn't hold my tongue
Not at all. I appreciate all constructive feedback received. I may or may not always follow it… but it IS appreciated

I tend to agree with your assessment actually. I picked the console color very early in the build, and now that the car is at the point it's at, I realize I chose a darker color than desired. I have been looking online at color swatches. of course those aren't always very true, but what I've been looking at is the Charlotte brand of vinyl. #7228 desert and 7715 desert. the two are similar, but the 7715 has a slightly mottled look and might be used for the inserts in the seats and the side panel inset, etc. both are more in the tan range. I need to go over to my upholstery guy and look at his samples now to finalize, and order material, but I'm getting close.

Russ
Old 12-19-2014, 07:12 PM
earl schieb
Burning Brakes

Oh I can relate to choosing color by online samples......went thru that with the gold carpet in my 58 Yeoman, trying to match fabric I'd already bought. The one I chose wasn't as close as the one I didn't after it got here and I could compare in person. Ugh.
You'll get it right---I have faith. I've really enjoyed watching you breeze thru the two roadsters before and now this 59(while I have finished NOTHING for myself) Thanks for taking us along on your journey(s), Russ.

Mike in TN

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Bel Air LS1 x 6 speed build - when cars were cool

Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hey Russ, just wanted to check in and wish you and Jennifer a great holiday time, Merry Christmas and all that rot.

[Cheech and Chong]Looking good Mang!...[/Cheech and Chong]

Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Hey Russ, just wanted to check in and wish you and Jennifer a great holiday time, Merry Christmas and all that rot.

[Cheech and Chong]Looking good Mang!...[/Cheech and Chong]

Back at cha' big guy.

Looookiingggg gooood

Russ&Jennifer
Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 AM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here Russ - May your family have a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
PS: I'm back to sanding again...