Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

59 Bel Air LS1 x 6 speed build - when cars were cool

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russ,

I am waiting for the temp to go up. All that work would be ruined so I will sit back and wait. Have a safe trip!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Wow, you stole that one! Might be a nice daily driver for a while......I'll bet the wife will fall in love with it. It IS green after all.
You saw that eh? . ya… if it's anything close to what the po says it is then I couldn't really NOT buy it at my winning bid price. sometimes things just click in the right order and we get lucky (but sometimes they don't also). I still haven't told Jen I got it, but ya…. she'll like it.
We just walked in the door from a long two days of driving and tests at OHSU (the hospital). it looks like the green light is still on for her surgery on the 29th, but she'll have something to come home to after she gets out (~10-12 days)

Russ
Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Tell her prayers and best wishes from up here will ya Russ. Strength in numbers. Stay stalwart.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Tell her prayers and best wishes from up here will ya Russ. Strength in numbers. Stay stalwart.
Thanks Robbie. I'm home for a day to get a change of shorts (already did the front/back/inside/outside twice). had to come pick up the mail and pay some bills etc.. Jennifer had her surgery the 29th. three teams, each in a different area, for a total of 12 hours. then ICU until late yesterday (Sun) and she's now up in a regular room for several days/week. she did REALLY well with the surgery and seems to be recovering quickly also (all things considered). just about every day she gets a couple more of the MANY drain tubes removed. she's down to only 4 now, and even got the nose tube pulled out this morning (which she was very happy about). I've been living in a Motel a couple miles from the Hospital, so it feels really good to be home, if only for a day, but will feel a lot better when she gets here also.
I'm a long way from being a "religious" guy, but it sure feel like she's been on a very fortuitous path of late. a lot has fallen into place when it needed to, instead of falling off the cliff as it often does.

Thanks to everyone for the support,

We'll be cruisin again soon,

Russ
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm a long way from being a "religious" guy
Its never too late!

Know that you and Jennifer are in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:35 PM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great News Russ! Our Prayers are with you all.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:18 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

There are more people praying for her than you realize. Please keep us all posted, both those who weigh-in, and those who just lurk.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:33 AM
blue_74
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteed
There are more people praying for her than you realize. Please keep us all posted, both those who weigh-in, and those who just lurk.
+1.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:10 PM
TDW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news Russ!

More good vibes and prayers from the east side of this rock.

I can relate to your situation to a degree, having gone through similar experiences when Jann had quadruple bypass, then the aneurysm and stroke. Still deal with the ramifications of the latter on a daily basis. Not shifting attention, or complaining, just letting you know, you WILL get through this, and from your description, with flying colors.

It really doesn't get "easier" as time passes, but you get better at doing what you have to and that gives the feeling of things "easing"up a little.

You're one of the "good guys" and she has to be too, or she wouldn't put up with you!

Hang in there, you'll be ok in the end!

Car is looking fantastic!

Really don't have to tell you that.....do I?

Last edited by TDW; 02-03-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: "It" does have a t in it....right?:)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 PM
ChrisBarney
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Thanks Robbie. I'm home for a day to get a change of shorts (already did the front/back/inside/outside twice). had to come pick up the mail and pay some bills etc.. Jennifer had her surgery the 29th. three teams, each in a different area, for a total of 12 hours. then ICU until late yesterday (Sun) and she's now up in a regular room for several days/week. she did REALLY well with the surgery and seems to be recovering quickly also (all things considered). just about every day she gets a couple more of the MANY drain tubes removed. she's down to only 4 now, and even got the nose tube pulled out this morning (which she was very happy about). I've been living in a Motel a couple miles from the Hospital, so it feels really good to be home, if only for a day, but will feel a lot better when she gets here also.
I'm a long way from being a "religious" guy, but it sure feel like she's been on a very fortuitous path of late. a lot has fallen into place when it needed to, instead of falling off the cliff as it often does.

Thanks to everyone for the support,
Russ,

I have an aunt who went through a similar cancer, esophageal/stomach cancer, and they removed 6.75" of her esophagus and a portion of her stomach, after a long recovery she is now cancer free for almost 5 years. Hopefully Jen has a similar recovery and can go back to the joyrides again soon!

Best wishes.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisBarney
Russ,

I have an aunt who went through a similar cancer, esophageal/stomach cancer, and they removed 6.75" of her esophagus and a portion of her stomach, after a long recovery she is now cancer free for almost 5 years. Hopefully Jen has a similar recovery and can go back to the joyrides again soon!

Best wishes.
Yes, that's exactly what Jennifer had. the entire esophagus is removed, right up to the throat, then a portion of the stomach is stapled off and stretched up to form a new esophagus. truly amazing what is possible these days with the right doctors, and we had the best there is. your aunt must have had similar fortune.

Russ
Old 02-03-2015, 10:38 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Revfan
Its never too late!

Know that you and Jennifer are in our thoughts and prayers.
[in my best baptist minister impression] Let your light shine through:

Thanks Rev, and all who sent good thoughts our way
Attached Images  

Last edited by MrPbody; 02-03-2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

....see ya (sorta) when you both get home. I'm really happy to hear it went well.

PS.....bring more shorts.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

We staggered in our own front door last night. both still exhausted today, and trying to unpack and re-group, but it feels great to be home at last. Jen will remain on belly mounted feeding tube for a few weeks, but will gradually be allowed some "recreational grazing" of semi liquids and eventually back to real food.

We're both sad to miss one of the best annual car shows this year, which is an indoor event next week, but we'll be ready for spring for sure. A buddy of mine will have a couple cars entered, so I'll see if I can get some pics from him. or maybe Gary (Narlee) will have some to share also.

Russ/Jennifer
Old 02-08-2015, 09:07 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Russ, you and Jen are in the thoughts and prayers of many. Glad it seems to be going well for her.

Best wishes!

Mike
Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Not a lot of exciting news to report, but it's been a wile, so…

Jennifer is doing pretty well. I keep telling her she needs to get off her butt more, but she's slowly improving in spite of that.

I finally got the Jaguar delivered just yesterday. the transport driver said it was the worst trip across country of his life. held up by snow and ice several times and then harassed at a Washington state weigh station. apparently Washington has a law that not only do trucks need to carry chains at all times between Nov and April, which he had, but they are also required to carry two EXTRA chains in case some break. there hasn't been snow on the West coast I-5 corridor all winter, but he still got grounded until he was able to go purchase the spares. he quipped "next they'll want me to carry a spare truck". .
There are some things that the Jag seller carefully avoided telling, or showing me, but I guess that's pretty much an E-bay norm any more . the ck engine light is on and it scans as a bad coil pack on #2 cyl so I ordered one today. not too bad at ~$30.00 but some Jag part are really nuts prices so I'm preparing for the hits to come. she is a sexy cat however, and the color really is a dead ringer to the 59' (which is kinda dirty today, but O-well). I just hope Jennifer lets me sell the Jag when it's time comes, as she REALLY likes it.

Cheers,
Russ
Attached Images   

Last edited by MrPbody; 02-22-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:10 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Not a lot of exciting news to report, but it's been a wile, so…

Jennifer is doing pretty well. I keep telling her she needs to get off her butt more, but she's slowly improving in spite of that.

I finally got the Jaguar delivered just yesterday. the transport driver said it was the worst trip across country of his life. held up by snow and ice several times and then harassed at a Washington state weigh station. apparently Washington has a law that not only do trucks need to carry chains at all times between Nov and April, which he had, but they are also required to carry two EXTRA chains in case some break. there hasn't been snow on the West coast I-5 corridor all winter, but he still got grounded until he was able to go purchase the spares. he quipped "next they'll want me to carry a spare truck". .
There are some things that the Jag seller carefully avoided telling, or showing me, but I guess that's pretty much an E-bay norm any more . the ck engine light is on and it scans as a bad coil pack on #2 cyl so I ordered one today. not too bad at ~$30.00 but some Jag part are really nuts prices so I'm preparing for the hits to come. she is a sexy cat however, and the color really is a dead ringer to the 59' (which is kinda dirty today, but O-well). I just hope Jennifer lets me sell the Jag when it's time comes, as she REALLY likes it.

Cheers,
Russ
Glad to hear things are looking up Russ, and that you two are back home OK where you belong.
That is a nice looking Jag, won't be long before Jen is taking you out for an ice cream in it.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Bel Air LS1 x 6 speed build - when cars were cool

Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

All the best to the misses Russ. Is she on solid food yet?

So is the 59 finished now? Are you going to take us for a video spin in it? :

At least a picture tour would be cool.

One of the guys over at the tri-five forum has quite a few nice Chebbies including this one....

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 02-24-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

It's been 3 weeks Russ......any updates on your better half?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

It's been 3 weeks Russ......any updates on your better half?

Robbie et all,

Sorry for the late replay, but I've been off the forum for a wile, as I seriously needed a break from it. I expect I'll be back eventually, but not for a wile yet.
Jennifer is doing ok. she isn't gaining the weight back like we expected, but I guess it will just take time. we're going up to OHSU next weekend for the final handshakes and goodbyes, and then I guess we're on our own again. late April/May we plan to fly to Washington DC for a visit to the Smithsonian and other local points unknown. been wanting to get out of Dodge for a wile now, and DC seemed about as far out of it as anyplace we could think of.
The spring we were having last month has temporarily retreated, leaving the toy collection in winter lock-up again. the Ford is on E-bay now, so I'm hoping to make some room in the stable for the Jag, which is currently in the garage. I've been chipping away at all the little things that needed repaired. it's a beautiful car, and fun to drive, but how they justified 70K+ for a new one of these things is beyond my comprehension. the quality level of many of it's parts just isn't there.

hang em high. I'll be back one of these days when you least expect it,

Russ
Attached Images