Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Making the switch to a Viper

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 PM
orlanderlv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the switch to a Viper

So, I purchased a z51 Stingray a couple months ago and today I finalized a deal for a new 2014 Dodge Viper. The dealer is overnighting the paperwork to me. Should be able to have the new Viper shipped out to me next week. Traded in my Vette on the deal which I was able to get a really good trade-in value for.

Why? The Viper was the car I wanted while shopping for the new Vette but I felt the $120k price was more than the new Vipers were worth. With the plant shut down and hundreds of Vipers just sitting on dealer's showroom floors, many are getting unbelievable discounts. I'm getting a fantastic deal.

Once I get the Viper in i'll do an indepth review and comparison versus the Vette. I just like the Viper styling and extra horsepower. The acceleration is insane and times will be much faster than what I was able to get in my Stingray with manual trans.

As soon as I had purchased the z51 I put my name on the waiting list for z06 and it was then I knew I purchased the wrong car.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

And you started this thread exactly why?

(other than to rub C7's owners' noses in it, that is.....)
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Joe_Endo
2nd Gear

And you felt the need to tell everyone here this........why???

Believe me...... No one cares dude!

Enjoy your Viper!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need a Wiper couldn't you have just purchased Charmin?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by orlanderlv
So, I purchased a z51 Stingray a couple months ago and today I finalized a deal for a new 2014 Dodge Viper. The dealer is overnighting the paperwork to me. Should be able to have the new Viper shipped out to me next week. Traded in my Vette on the deal which I was able to get a really good trade-in value for.

Why? The Viper was the car I wanted while shopping for the new Vette but I felt the $120k price was more than the new Vipers were worth. With the plant shut down and hundreds of Vipers just sitting on dealer's showroom floors, many are getting unbelievable discounts. I'm getting a fantastic deal.

Once I get the Viper in i'll do an indepth review and comparison versus the Vette. I just like the Viper styling and extra horsepower. The acceleration is insane and times will be much faster than what I was able to get in my Stingray with manual trans.

As soon as I had purchased the z51 I put my name on the waiting list for z06 and it was then I knew I purchased the wrong car.
So you bought a new car that is already potentially obsolete and worse a car that likely has no future? Now that sound like great thinking!
Enjoy your Viper!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Hey, Bring it up to VIR and lets see if I can keep up or pass you in my "inferior" C7. That's the true test right ?
Johnny vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell us what you know buddy ? price , location
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

.... today I finalized a deal for a new 2014 Dodge Viper. ... .
Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I live the Viper but I wouldn't pay more than $80k for one brand new considering that a base C7 performs pretty darn close.

Don't get me wrong, a Viper is on my "to own list" but just not this current generation Viper.

Good luck with the Viper and don't expect to get good trade-in value when you get the C7 Z06 that will wipe the floor with it!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't feed the troll! He's now outside playing dungeons & dragons with his friends
Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I live the Viper but I wouldn't pay more than $80k for one brand new considering that a base C7 performs pretty darn close.:
The C7 hyperbole never ceases to amaze me. Your base C7 can do 130+ in the quarter?

There are many reasons to prefer the C7 over the Viper, it's a better car. But to say the performance of a base C7 is close is nuts. It's not close, nor should it be. That will be left up to the Z06.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Limey25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beach
Don't feed the troll! He's now outside playing dungeons & dragons with his friends
His mom's basement is outside???
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 PM
orlanderlv
Intermediate

Wow, this is surprising. I make a post about opting for a different car because I felt I wanted something a little different and I get a lot of childish responses. Pretty sad. Don't worry This will be my last post. I have no intention of staying on a forum with people like this. Glad I made the switch. Definitely don't regret it and will enjoy my much more exclusive, stylish and powerful ride. Cheers and good luck to you all.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:17 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I rented one for a day last December. The acceleration was great but I personally didn't care for the driving feel of the car. I more prefer handling to acceleration and though it does handle good it just didn't have the fun to drive feel that I like.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty
The C7 hyperbole never ceases to amaze me. Your base C7 can do 130+ in the quarter?

There are many reasons to prefer the C7 over the Viper, it's a better car. But to say the performance of a base C7 is close is nuts. It's not close, nor should it be. That will be left up to the Z06.
Here I thought the C7 was close to a standard Viper... I guess 1/4 is the only performance measurement that maters.

I guess it's almost like comparing a Aveo to a Corvette since it's not even close?

No, I don't think the C7 is the king of sports cars but when you're comparing it to something that is double in cost and saying it's better than shouldn't it be in some aspect?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:54 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't listen to everyone here giving you a hard time...

The Viper is a hell of a performance car and with the discounts that can be had, I have seen them selling for $80K-90K. Not bad considering many C7's are selling for $65K-70K. Not to mention, the Viper has the presence and exclusiveness that the Vette just can't offer. The only guys that will argue otherwise are.. well, Vette guys. By next year, the C7's will be dime a dozen.

The Viper currently holds the fastest lap time at Laguna Seca and will outperform the C7 in every category. All the talk about the Viper being obsolete is complete BS. If it was so obsolete it wouldn't be setting lap records and posting 130+ MPH trap speeds.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a bunch of stupid responses!

Enjoy that Viper and kick the crap out of every C7 you can and will.

It is a far superior car in every way, good luck with it.

Join the VOA forum, great bunch of guys. What did you get exactly?

Get notified of new replies

To Making the switch to a Viper

Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Ohh boy you did it now, sit back and enjoy all the hate

Enjoy you car regardless what happens to the Viper, 15 years from now, it just won't be another old viper.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:43 PM
nitrouscharlie
Racer

Man, what’s up with all of the haters. I say go enjoy your Viper. I have one and I LOVE it. After owning almost a dozen Vettes, the Viper has MORE than exceeded my every expectation of what a real super car should be. YES the new Vette is nice, but damn, I see at least 10 every single day. The Viper is in a completely different class, very exclusive and sought after by the true enthusiast. Again, I’ve been a Vette man for more then 20 yrs, since back when I bought my Vette. But the second I drove my Viper I was hooked.. Congrats on your car and enjoy it. Beware though, there’s a LOT of haters out there..
Old 04-08-2014, 02:38 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Wow, this is surprising. I make a post about opting for a different car because I felt I wanted something a little different and I get a lot of childish responses. Pretty sad. Don't worry This will be my last post. I have no intention of staying on a forum with people like this. Glad I made the switch. Definitely don't regret it and will enjoy my much more exclusive, stylish and powerful ride. Cheers and good luck to you all.
I was hoping to find out more info from your trade. Please ignore the haters, as I think the latest Viper is the best one since the 96 GTS! Would love to see pictures and if you don't mind, what kind of discount you got on yours. Sadly, SRT priced themselves out of sales with the current Viper, so hearing a story such as yours is good news for potential buyers, bad for current owners of the latest Viper.

As for the Z06, I won't comment, but if the performance data of the largely heavier and inferior new Camaro Z/28 say anything about GM dialing in handling - very few cars will keep up to the new C7Z on the track. But, as others have stated, it's just another Corvette! Let's see your Viper and what options it has!

Quick Reply: Making the switch to a Viper