Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2015 Tahoe...please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Default 2015 Tahoe...please help

Hey guys & gals, I know this is the wrong forum but I can't seem to find one like this for the Tahoe. Can anyone give me an address to post and discuss this problem:

In V4 mode mostly the engine rumbles. Its like bees swarming around my ears. I complained to the dealership, opened a file with Chevy customer service and just met with the zone manager who is driving the same vehicle and has the same problem. The answer I was given is the truck is operating as designed. To increase gas mileage they hold the motor in V4 mode longer than previous models. There are no TSBs currently to change the software.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Gars08vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried http://www.tahoeforum.com/ ?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Can you disable that with a tuner? I know you can on the Dodge trucks. I haven't disabled on my Ram, but do notice a slightly off sound when running in the 4cyl mode. Also heard it really sounds like crap if you put a performance exhaust on.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gars08vert
Thanks for the lead. I wasn't able to register previously but tried something different this time and after several attempts it worked. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Originally Posted by CBRXX
Can you disable that with a tuner? I know you can on the Dodge trucks. I haven't disabled on my Ram, but do notice a slightly off sound when running in the 4cyl mode. Also heard it really sounds like crap if you put a performance exhaust on.
This truck has a manual shift mode but I don't know if it will hold it in V8. I'll have to try it. Don't know about tuning it out...will check that also. Thanks for the suggestion. My wife wants me to trade it in if it can't be fixed.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Originally Posted by mickey5
This truck has a manual shift mode but I don't know if it will hold it in V8. I'll have to try it. Don't know about tuning it out...will check that also. Thanks for the suggestion. My wife wants me to trade it in if it can't be fixed.
Check out the Diablosport InTune, or their Trinity if you want even more add'l features. Looks like they can turn that off for the Tahoe too.

ETA: BTW, they can be used on other vehicles, but only one at a time if I recall. So if you replace the Tahoe in future, just have to pull the tune out first, and can then use in new vehicle.

Last edited by CBRXX; 07-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same issue with my '12 Camaro SS. It had paddle shifters and I could turn off the AFM (active fuel management) mode by shifting into Sport mode and using paddles to try to upshift 2 times (while at a standstill). Tranny only allows 1 upshift but this turns off AFM. I hope I gave you some idea on procedure. BTW - a tune will void your warranty because the factory tune is linked to the VIN. After I installed Magnaflow exhaust, the sound from the AFM was horrible!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Originally Posted by retaf87
I had same issue with my '12 Camaro SS. It had paddle shifters and I could turn off the AFM (active fuel management) mode by shifting into Sport mode and using paddles to try to upshift 2 times (while at a standstill). Tranny only allows 1 upshift but this turns off AFM. I hope I gave you some idea on procedure. BTW - a tune will void your warranty because the factory tune is linked to the VIN. After I installed Magnaflow exhaust, the sound from the AFM was horrible!
Thanks for the info. The '15 Tahoe in manual mode has an up/down button on the shift selector stalk which I think does the same as your paddles. I'll give it a try.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey guys & gals, I know this is the wrong forum but I can't seem to find one like this for the Tahoe. Can anyone give me an address to post and discuss this problem:

In V4 mode mostly the engine rumbles. Its like bees swarming around my ears. I complained to the dealership, opened a file with Chevy customer service and just met with the zone manager who is driving the same vehicle and has the same problem. The answer I was given is the truck is operating as designed. To increase gas mileage they hold the motor in V4 mode longer than previous models. There are no TSBs currently to change the software.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hey mickey5,

Please don't hesitate to send us a private message if you'd like for us to do some additional research regarding this issue. We're sorry for any frustration this has caused, but we're here to offer additional assistance if necessary. Send over your VIN and contact information if we can help, or you can email us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey mickey5,

Please don't hesitate to send us a private message if you'd like for us to do some additional research regarding this issue. We're sorry for any frustration this has caused, but we're here to offer additional assistance if necessary. Send over your VIN and contact information if we can help, or you can email us at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
email sent...thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 AM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey op sorry your new truck is having problems. This sounds like something that was problematic when the cylinder deactivation first started to become popular a couple of years ago. I think in the c7 the driveshaft needed to be made out of a heavier and stronger material so v4 mode would be a smooth ride. Best of luck.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Trade it in for a Ford
Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
Trade it in for a Ford
Just may do that. Will also look into the LTZ and the Denali which I'm told has the 6.2 liter engine rather than the 5.3

Was just advised by chevy customer support that what i have is normal for this truck. If this is the level of quality GM engineering is putting out I'm selling all my stock.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Just may do that. Will also look into the LTZ and the Denali which I'm told has the 6.2 liter engine rather than the 5.3
You'll have to stick to the Denali for the 6.2. No 6.2 to be found in any Tahoe for this generation. They tried it in 2009 for the previous generation and they cannibalized Yukon and Escalade sales.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The DOD can be tuned out, any competent tuner should be able to do it. IDK about the effect on the warranty though.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

I'm kinda confused as to what or I should say why you're complaining. It only goes into V4 mode when you are barely applying gas and on a level or declining road. I have a 14 High Country with the 6.2L and straight exhaust after the cat. , I can hear the difference out the tailpipe but barely, can't tell at all from the engine compartment. Are the 5.3 and 6.2 s really that different with noise levels ?

Last edited by Greg MFn Z; 08-15-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 AM
mickey5
Drifting

The '15 is much different than my '07 that also had V4 mode and never made any noticable rumbling. The '15 has a 100 more HP, and stays in V4 mode continuously unless accelerating or pulling up a grade. It gets about 21 MPG suburban driving and 26MPG on a trip from Jersey to Fla down I-95. This compares to the '07 getting 12-14 around town and 20 MPG on the Fla run.

I hear there are more people complaining about this problem and hopefully GM will address it. If offered I would give back a few miles per gallon fuel economy to get rid of the rumble which can be real annoying.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Tahoe...please help

Old 08-21-2014, 04:29 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The '15 is much different than my '07 that also had V4 mode and never made any noticable rumbling. The '15 has a 100 more HP, and stays in V4 mode continuously unless accelerating or pulling up a grade. It gets about 21 MPG suburban driving and 26MPG on a trip from Jersey to Fla down I-95. This compares to the '07 getting 12-14 around town and 20 MPG on the Fla run.

I hear there are more people complaining about this problem and hopefully GM will address it. If offered I would give back a few miles per gallon fuel economy to get rid of the rumble which can be real annoying.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Have you seen others having the same issue? Wonder if your engine just is not as well balanced.

I have a 2010 Tahoe and reprogrammed it to stay in 4cyl mode longer. Was able to get about 1mph better and on mine it is not bad in 4cyl don't think anyone that ever road with me could tell a difference.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Originally Posted by rgregory
Have you seen others having the same issue? Wonder if your engine just is not as well balanced.

when I first bought it in March and complained about it, the dealer pulled a new unit out of inventory and it made the same rumble. I also met with the factory aftermarket manager who was driving the same 2015 Tahoe and also had it.

The factory knows about it and their reply is "it is operating as designed".

Quick Reply: 2015 Tahoe...please help