Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Polaris Slingshot....is it what I've been waiting for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Polaris Slingshot....is it what I've been waiting for?

Hey guys,

Ok, technically this is not a car but............

I had never heard of this tree-wheeler until the local paper did a story on it in the auto section. Wow, it looks quite promising. In pictures and on paper, it looks like the next best thing to an Ariel Atom at a fraction of the price and with one less wheel in the back.

Anyone have some first hand knowledge or experience with one? They are expected to be sold in Canada in 2015. Even my wife is excited.

We were looking for a weekend toy besides the Vette and had considered a Campagna T-Rex. But the price is outrageous. The Slingshot looks to be just as fun but at less than half the price.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:02 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Hey guys,

Ok, technically this is not a car but............

I had never heard of this tree-wheeler until the local paper did a story on it in the auto section. Wow, it looks quite promising. In pictures and on paper, it looks like the next best thing to an Ariel Atom at a fraction of the price and with one less wheel in the back.

Anyone have some first hand knowledge or experience with one? They are expected to be sold in Canada in 2015. Even my wife is excited.

We were looking for a weekend toy besides the Vette and had considered a Campagna T-Rex. But the price is outrageous. The Slingshot looks to be just as fun but at less than half the price.

Looks like a lot of fun; I found out about it via Polaris' Facebook announcement late last month.

I would want more power for that weight; as-is, it has about the same ratio as a 2002 Camaro. Now, GM made a supercharger kit for the Ecotec 2.4, and there are several turbo kits out there to amp it up, so that problem is solvable, but wouldn't be free and is dependent on whether Polaris retained GM's programmable ECU or went with something of their own.

Honestly, if Polaris installed the 2.0 turbo from the Regal GS/Caddy ATS without pushing weigh over 2k or price over $30k, I would be seriously interested, maybe even enough to consider it. Bolt-ons and a tune on that beast (assuming GM ECU again) would be good for an easy 450hp, and with under 2000 pounds to move, she would be an absolute ANIMAL (4lbs per hp is ridiculous)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I know what you mean. The 0-60 times I've come up with online is 6 seconds. Seems kind of slow and just doesn't add up based on its power to weight ratio. I wonder if the hybrid shaft/beltdrive driveline has something to do with it? It should be doing at least 5 seconds.
Of course, it must feel way faster due to it not having doors or windows and sitting about 5 inches of the ground.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

The front of it looks pretty interesting, but the back looks like the bumper cover blew off.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Yeah, I know what you mean. The 0-60 times I've come up with online is 6 seconds. Seems kind of slow and just doesn't add up based on its power to weight ratio. I wonder if the hybrid shaft/beltdrive driveline has something to do with it? It should be doing at least 5 seconds.
Of course, it must feel way faster due to it not having doors or windows and sitting about 5 inches of the ground.
It should do a bit better than that... that's about how quick the RX-8 was, and with the extra torque, this thing should be able to beat that

We don't know what the gearing is yet, though, and nobody has done an instrumented test yet (to my knowledge); remember, Porsche always releases high 0-60 estimates, too
Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't get vehicles like this. If I am going to be exposed to the weather and more danger than I want to be on my motorcycle where I get the rewards of leaning, maneuverability, and speed.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LTC Z06
I don't get vehicles like this. If I am going to be exposed to the weather and more danger than I want to be on my motorcycle where I get the rewards of leaning, maneuverability, and speed.
Not everyone likes riding motorcycles or even have a motorcycle licence. Here in my neck of the woods, it is extremely difficult and time consuming to get a motorcycle licence. Three-wheeled vehicles take advantage of several loopholes.

1) It's technically classed as a motorcycle because it does not have four wheels so it does not have to meet any automobile chrash tests or highway safety requirements. It does not require airbags, doors, windows, windshield, etc. It is therefore the closest thing you can get to a street legal racecar.

2) Because it is classed as a three-wheeled motorcycle, you don't reguire a motorcycle licence in most parts of Canada and the US. Only a standard drivers licence is required.

3) Being classed as a motorcycle allows a three-wheeled vehicle to take advantage of lower motorcycle parking rates, entry fees, reserved lanes, etc.

It also comes down to some people just wanting something different and unique. This gives you the best of both worlds. The confidence of having a steering wheel and comfortable side-by side seats combined with the excitement you get from a completely open-air driving experience.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

I have a street bike and a Z06... I don't really see your point

Do the Ariel Atom and Caterham Super 7 confuse you as well?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way to slow
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I have a street bike and a Z06... I don't really see your point

Do the Ariel Atom and Caterham Super 7 confuse you as well?
Here let me help you, read above and try to comprehend.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Not everyone likes riding motorcycles

It also comes down to some people just wanting something different and unique. .
That's part of my point, if you don't like motorcycles are you going to like no top and no windshield?

Different and unique I get.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shurshot
way to slow

Unless those are conservative estimates, this vehicle underperforms; a 2007 Cobalt SS Turbo or 2007 Monte Carlo SS both hit 60 in under 6 seconds stock... I would expect more out of a performance-oriented vehicle weighing less than a ton
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

I'm in the process of trying to set up a test drive at a local Polaris dealer. I'll let you know if I get to drive one and will give my review. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to accomodate two possible potential buyers (myself and a friend of mine).

Yes, I do think that the performance numbers are very conservative. They have to be based on the power to weight ratio. Unless, all is lost in the drivetrain. It would be a pity if that is the case. Personally I think Polaris are holding something back. From people's reactions after driving it, it definitely feels very fast.

I'm really looking forward to my test drive.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

I'm in the process of trying to set up a test drive at a local Polaris dealer. I'll let you know if I get to drive one and will give my review. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to accomodate two possible potential buyers (myself and a friend of mine).

Yes, I do think that the performance numbers are very conservative. They have to be based on the power to weight ratio. Unless, all is lost in the drivetrain. It would be a pity if that is the case. Personally I think Polaris are holding something back. From people's reactions after driving it, it definitely feels very fast.

I'm really looking forward to my test drive.
Please do

I bet it will be very fun, and that's the point: it doesn't need to be a supercar as long as makes you smile. Plenty of people enjoy the Miata and FR-S, and the times listed for those are similar to the Polaris. Being able to outrun those cars, while it would be fun, isn't a necessity, especially since the price of entry is less and the car should be more entertaining via its toss-ability and open-air experience unmatched this side of a motorcycle.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Please do

I bet it will be very fun, and that's the point: it doesn't need to be a supercar as long as makes you smile. Plenty of people enjoy the Miata and FR-S, and the times listed for those are similar to the Polaris. Being able to outrun those cars, while it would be fun, isn't a necessity, especially since the price of entry is less and the car should be more entertaining via its toss-ability and open-air experience unmatched this side of a motorcycle.
Just to clarify: if this car can't out-accelerate the Miata and FR-S, despite having the same power and about a thousand pounds less to move with it, that would be disappointing
Old 12-10-2014, 09:30 AM
jd
Team Owner

Location: A Florida man who is superfly in the doublewide - Bokeelia, FLA-USA
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15

I am going to test drive one of these this weekend and will report back what the real 0-60 time is
Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jd
I am going to test drive one of these this weekend and will report back what the real 0-60 time is

Get notified of new replies

To Polaris Slingshot....is it what I've been waiting for?

Old 12-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I wish it were legal for sale in Maryland.....
Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
I wish it were legal for sale in Maryland.....
I saw that they were having legality issues in Texas, Indiana, and Connecticut... what's going on with Maryland?
Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I saw that they were having legality issues in Texas, Indiana, and Connecticut... what's going on with Maryland?
I am trying to find out the exact issue but so far are just getting the run-around from MVA. I sent my first email at the end of November. I have now received this email back 4 times as of yesterday(note the word "again";

Dear MVA Customer,

Thank you for your email inquiry.

Your email has been forwarded again to another department for attention. If you do not receive a reply within five business days, please reply to this email or call the MVA Customer Service Center at 410-768-7000, 301-729-4550 or 1-800-950-1682.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A0005

Maryland MVA Customer Service Center