Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Hate to admit but....New GT-R with 600 hp coming....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
Really good points you make. So I take it you are not buying a Fiat Dodge these days even with 707HP?
NOPE. But mainly that's cause I'm not attracted to BIG GIRLS. LOL Nothing wrong with em... like mopeds.... Fun to ride but I don't want my friends to see me on one
Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Serious question about the GTR performance. I understand the awd makes it a monster from a dig. What I don't understand is how it seems to defy the power to weight ratio. For example

2014 GTR are commonly seen trapping around 125mph through the quarter mile.

2014 GTR ... 3825lbs and 540 horsepower = 7.08 power to weight.

2014 camaro ZL1... 4120 and 580 horsepower = 7.103 power to weight.

The camaro usually traps around 117-119 mph so how is the GTR trapping so much higher with such a close power to weight ratio?

Btw I love both cars. This just interest me.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
There's always going to be a guy whose **** is bigger than yours. You should have figured this out a long time ago.

No matter how much HP your car has, You're never going to have the biggest rooster.

You haven't been here long, but that's one heck of an ignorant post.
Nice start!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
There's always going to be a guy whose **** is bigger than yours. You should have figured this out a long time ago.

No matter how much HP your car has, You're never going to have the biggest rooster.

Owning a corvette isn't just about HP. Owning a Corvette is about owning a piece of Americana; a piece of American history. Driving that corvette tells everyone that you have cut off your own piece of the American dream. I remember when a friends dad bought a midnight blue 64 corvette convertible and I thought that was the coolest car I had ever seen. I swore that day I would own one myself.

The Corvette represents everything that is good and pure in the American spirit, a world-class sports car that costs a fraction of the price of the elite Euro trash, and can compete with any one them and still be affordable for a mass audience of hard working folks. An American tradition that goes back to Henry Ford.

Go buy the Nissan, or whatever car announces it's HP is now higher, but I promise you, that rooster of yours is as big as it's going to get.
Is that you Maya Angelou?
Old 08-09-2014, 05:59 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Serious question about the GTR performance. I understand the awd makes it a monster from a dig. What I don't understand is how it seems to defy the power to weight ratio. For example

2014 GTR are commonly seen trapping around 125mph through the quarter mile.

2014 GTR ... 3825lbs and 540 horsepower = 7.08 power to weight.

2014 camaro ZL1... 4120 and 580 horsepower = 7.103 power to weight.

The camaro usually traps around 117-119 mph so how is the GTR trapping so much higher with such a close power to weight ratio?

Btw I love both cars. This just interest me.
For one--DCT allows it to have extreme efficiency of power in every gear for optimal acceleration.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:01 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by starchedup
NOPE. But mainly that's cause I'm not attracted to BIG GIRLS. LOL Nothing wrong with em... like mopeds.... Fun to ride but I don't want my friends to see me on one

You would need a bench seat for the big girls. Back in high school I would open the door for the girl and then go around to get in. I would say "get on your own side" and they would respond that they were on their own side. Thats how you know you need smaller girls and bucket seats.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 02hreblue
you would need a bench seat for the big girls. Back in high school i would open the door for the girl and then go around to get in. I would say "get on your own side" and they would respond that they were on their own side. Thats how you know you need smaller girls and bucket seats.
LOL
Old 08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now someone will say..."but they build them in America". My standard answer... "But where do the profits go???" Answer... Overseas. No thank you. If America has a quality car (Ex Corvette), I'm buying it and keeping the profits here. Not a fan of "them" putting "us" to work to make "them" profits. I'm going all in on America.

Sorry... Hot topic for me
I understand the point you are trying to make but your standard answer is not entirely correct.
Much of the profits remain here and are invested in more facilities and improvements and updates on existing facilities.
As a stockholder for any of the Japanese companies you are allowed to live wherever you choose,so if you live in this country,the profits stay in this country.
A Japanese person or company can buy Ford stock and some of the profits will go to Japan. Are you against that also?
The companies are becoming global and the old way of thinking just does not apply like it used to.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:58 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
I understand the point you are trying to make but your standard answer is not entirely correct.
Much of the profits remain here and are invested in more facilities and improvements and updates on existing facilities.
As a stockholder for any of the Japanese companies you are allowed to live wherever you choose,so if you live in this country,the profits stay in this country.
A Japanese person or company can buy Ford stock and some of the profits will go to Japan. Are you against that also?
The companies are becoming global and the old way of thinking just does not apply like it used to.
Understood but I'm fundamentally against it. I don't like the trade deficit. Fundamentally unfair.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, Pagani are hardly trash. Way better than American cars, and I drive a freaking C7.
My ZR1 begs to differ.

Don't get me wrong, I love European exotics, but I'll line mine up against any of those any day.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
My ZR1 begs to differ.

Don't get me wrong, I love European exotics, but I'll line mine up against any of those any day.

Exotics DGAF about Corvettes pulling alongside trying to race.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR is pretty cool car. I don't find them ugly they kind of grew on me and would rather maybe say they look interesting. I have not driven one but am pretty sure they would be impressive . They are pretty much the Japanese version of my 911 turbo. All wheel drive and twin turbo is going to be a wicked combination off the line . Very hard to touch an all wheel drive car off the line. They can usually pull as good a 60ft on street tires as a rear wheel drive can pull on drag tires. And this helps still quite a bit at the end of the 1/4 mile a good 60ft is important ask any drag racer.

And they are improving the GTR all time as the model goes thru its life cycle. I think the old ones rode pretty badly but would think the new ones ride quite a bit better.
Still that said if was going to be spending 100k would rather have the z06. And yes agree the z06 is better looking car . Rear wheel drive is still ok and while don't think anyway to hook up 650 hp/650 tq on street tires at lower speeds or off the line still will be a fun car to have. And plan to get one in next couple of years. But not paying new price for the z06 either. I like to let depreciation work its magic.

I should go take a GTR for a test drive should be interesting. Sometimes people cut down a car without ever having driven them.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by White Out

Exotics DGAF about Corvettes pulling alongside trying to race.

I didn't mean for a race, I just meant as a comparison. Like a "line-up". At what point did I say for a race? you're too quick to assume.

Last edited by Crabbers; 08-11-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 PM
GZire
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apple vs Oranges. Not a fair comparison. Plus F1 cars need to rebuilt after every race... Yeah...no. Can't compare those 2

F1 powertrains are not rebuilt after every race FIA mandates "X" units/components per year. Figure one set is good for about 4 race weekends.

.........but yeah not an apples to apples comparison, not by a long shot.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope you are kidding because I suggest that you find a friend with a 458 and go race him in your C7. It won't be close. You will be extremely disappointed from a roll or a dig or whatever.
No, I'm not kidding at all. I also at NO POINT implied that a C7 LT1 would beat a 458 in a straight line, perhaps you need to go back and read/comprehend my post a little better.
In fact, I was actually quite clear in stating that in private hands a 458, like the 'slow' C7 ETs posted above, would likely also run quicker than most posted magazine times as well.

But if YOU think a 458 is a FULL 1.2 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile than an automatic C7 LT1 is (as his magazine ETs posted above might suggest) then YOU must be kidding as well.
The gap is barely even half that (same drag strip/same driver/same day).
From a highway roll, yes, the 458 wins every time. Though the 7 speed C7 LT1 likely wouldn't be that far behind either.

The new 458T or 460T will take care of the Z also. Same with the 991 Turbo S, McLaren, and Lambo. Lets not bring these into the equation. It only causes the usual lame back and forth fights over nothing.
1) We don't know how quick the new Z06 is yet so any speculation is, well, mere speculation.
But do keep in mind that the quickest recorded ET for a bone stock C6 ZR1 is 10.6@132+mph (and 10.2@135+mph with just a rear wheel/tire swap). The somewhat heavier C7 Z06 will have 12hp/46tq more AND be available in an 'easier to launch' automatic.
How quick do YOU think it will run?

2) Since YOU brought them up...I know what the new McLaren and Aventador are capable of (VERY quick/fast), but I sure hope you can present some solid evidence of a stock 458T/460T running quicker than a 10.6 because my guess is that a stock C7 Z06 will certainly do just that in private hands.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers

I didn't mean for a race, I just meant as a comparison. Like a "line-up". At what point did I say for a race? you're too quick to assume.
I read "line up" as racing since it's a common term associated with racing. So my bad.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by White Out
I read "line up" as racing since it's a common term associated with racing. So my bad.
Not a problem, I could have been more clear anyways. Glad we cleared that up!

Quick Reply: Hate to admit but....New GT-R with 600 hp coming....