Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Why does a Aston Martin Vanquish Cost 200k more than C7?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What's next. Why is a Bugatti Veyron 2 million more than a C7. If you guys have to ask these questions you really have no clue what these high end cars are really about.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Ltespd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aston is considered by many to be a "work of art". I understand why thay charge and get 200k plus.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

status and exclusivity.

several years ago i was in aspen and i stopped by a jewelry store in the little nell hotel which is a pretty upscale place close to the main town gondola.

i've always been a watch and clock freak so i just wanted to browse a bit. never forget, the salesman at the counter said that as an example they did not carry rolex watches because they were just another mass produced item. i dont remember what they had in their cases but it was limited production runs of mechanical swiss time peaces, things that i have always found interesting but would not buy because for me exclusivity is not something i am willing to pay for.

at the time, i was wearing a suunto advizor, a digital watch that not only outperformed everything that they had in their cases, but had many more features such as altimeter and heart rate monitor.

i think AMs fall into that category of prestige and exclusivity, something i am not interested in paying for.

and before i would buy an AM at that price, i would buy a turbo 911 with all the extras...

AMs are beautiful cars but i am content to admire them from afar, like patek phillippe grand complications...
Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

there is a huge difference between a corvette and an aston in build materials and craftsmanship.

those have nothing to do with reliability or speed.

is there a 200k difference in pure cost of goods sold? no. but the law of diminishing returns apply, each step better is smaller with a disproportionate increase in cost.

my personal opinion is that sport (oriented) cars hit the wall right around the 60-90 mark and anything above that you really have to see a lot of value in what you get.

the cars above that range don't get a whole lot faster and they don't change your life when you sit inside. but they are nicer. whether it is worth it is up to the individual.

quite honestly, i really like my vette, and it is a lot nicer than the < 2013 models.....however it is almost crappy compared to my mercedes.....just the quality of the leather, the feel of the buttons, etc. it isn't anything truly important, but when i get in the vette and turn up the volume, i think, "really?"

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 08-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
For the difference in price all you get is a name.

I like my choice of a c7 and my money can stay in the bank for other things.
And with that name comes a whole host of tangible and intangible things that a mass produced Chevrolet will never give you.

Higg's summed it up quite well but I would be remiss if I didn't add,

"If you have to ask you wouldn't understand"
Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
no I don't think good analogy the vette can probably do almost the same as the Aston on the track. You could lap a Kia.
Most people buying a Kia won't be taking it to the track, they will be taking it to and from work or school...
Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
quadeddie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Probably a couple of reasons (and can include Corvette buyers also):

1. People have a desire to fit in, whether at school, work or in social circles. For this reason, people sometimes buy brands because they believe the brands will contribute to greater social acceptance.

2. Sometimes they buy a product for the first time in hopes that it provides a quality experience. Recognized brand names typically have shown a consistency in product quality or performance that has contributed to the evolution of the brand.

3. Some people buy certain brands to support their personal or professional image. Buying a Porsche or other higher-priced car brand or designer suits can contribute to your image as a high-class, well-to-do or sophisticated professional.

4. Sometimes they just want to own something cool!
Generally what you're referring to is known as "signaling". Some people signal social status with clothes, cars, homes, etc. Thus far, I've driven the same japanese car for 20 years though I could have changed it out at any point. It's not a way I've chosen to signal thus far.

Having an AM in the UK is a strong signaling device in that culture.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Ltespd
Instructor

Also for a guy who has no game...an Aston would do wonders for your love life.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
:l:
A Corvette or Aston Martin will not legally get me around this island any faster than someone in a Kia.
well who the heck wants to be legal...yuck!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
visegrip
Advanced

Apples and oranges comparison. The AM is handbuilt in very small numbers, a few thousand cars across all the model range. I've had lots of cool cars and my life but the Vantage I have (this is the entry level car of the AM line) is absolutely head shoulders in terms of fit, finish, quality of components and paint finish.

Very sophisticated car and a blast to drive. That said, I've no doubt the C7 would be able to outperform the AM on the track and for tens of thousands of dollars less in cost of setup.

It's just not really a fair comparison. That said, it's highly likely I'll get a C7 in the next year or two to carry me into retirement. Cost of service and ease of getting it worked on are huge factors.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by visegrip
Apples and oranges comparison.

. That said, I've no doubt the C7 would be able to outperform the AM on the track and for tens of thousands of dollars less in cost of setup.
I'm not saying you agree with the statement you made but you understand the comparison. The AM was not built to be a track car and anybody who says, look at what the C7 could do to a AM on a track for 250K less is a idiot.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM
CARTOON
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont know the answer, then you dont understand the concept of "being a car guy".
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM
visegrip
Advanced

yep!

Originally Posted by White Out
On top of higher quality materials; low production, non-crossover parts, hand built and attention to detail add significant cost. Much more than just a name.

Aside from the fact that they both have performance characteristics and two doors, there is no comparison between any Corvette and a Vanquish.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Because someone is willing to pay $200K for it.

The reason why dont understand the price of an Aston Martin, is because you are not shopping for a car in AM price range. When that day comes that can comfortably afford a $200K car and you go shopping for one in that price range, I'll bet one of the last choices on your list is a 2014 Stingray. Why? Because you can afford something that is deemed 'better'. Notice I didnt say faster, I said 'better'. Better does not have to mean that AM offers more value.. better could be defined as many different things. Better could even be as simply defined as being more rare, exclusive and exotic. After all is that the reason why a diamond costs so much? Dont millions of people pay more for a diamond when a synthetic crystal gives the same look?

If we are really going to start questioning the price of cars and what we actually use them for then lets be realistic about this: Very, very few people in the world have a real use for a brand new $60,000 C7. I can buy a used C6 in great condition for $20,000 almost any day. Is a brand new C7 really worth 3x as much as a used C6? Why would you spend $60K on a new C7.. when you could have bought a used C6 for $20K. The same answer to that question is that same reason why an Aston Martin cost $200K. Because you wanted it.
Very well said

Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 PM
speedfreak27
Instructor

Just to add, the two actually are in completely different classes, and not because of the price difference. The Corvette is, and has always been, built as a sports car. The Vanquish is built as a grand tourer, not a sports car. It's a car to drive from coast-to-coast, or country-to-country, in style and sophistication with relative comfort and enough power to still pin you back into the seat while saying "What MPG?" Yes, the Corvette can be driven as a grand tourer, but that's not its main purpose.

Then there's Jay's review. I think he does a good job explaining it as well.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Why doesnt an apple taste like an orange? What doesnt a piece of plywood roll like a basket ball?

If you figure these things out, you will have your answer.

Quick Reply: Why does a Aston Martin Vanquish Cost 200k more than C7?