Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Sporty winter car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/4688410832.html

What do you guys think of that? He said he could do 4,000$ if I came within a few days. That is more than I wanted to spend but it looks pretty nice and most wrx's are listed for 5 or 6k. Its not an STI but still is 4wd turbo
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I was going to buy one of those last month, as a second car. Read up on the wrx forum. Lotta info on what to lookout for when buyimg one.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:07 PM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
I am looking to get a winter car, a car I will also drive on bad weather days in the summer. I don't really want a truck or an SUV. I want somthing preferably fwd, because they tend to handle better in snow.
What is a fairly sporty car with a little style that is good in winter? All the winter cars seem to be just plain. I want somthing with a little style and sport. I might also consider a luxury car. Was looking at caddy's but don't want the trouble of the northstar engine. Prefer to stay away from imports but I might consider one. I want to spend no more than 3500$ on a used car off craigslist. What would you recommend?
thanks
Luckily I have both a jeep wrangler and a grand Cherokee for the nasty winter stuff, but I have been thinking about a winter fun car, but not something plain looking like an Audi or a BMW (I have a 328xi that I am contemplating selling right now). I'm not talking about driving in heavy snow days but when the roads are nasty but cold days. The only thing is my budget is much much higher than yours, about 25k. I am contemplating a Porsche with really good winter tires for the cold days when I would normally take the BMW. That's just something I have been thinking about lately.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 AM
AnonymousSkunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/4688410832.html

What do you guys think of that? He said he could do 4,000$ if I came within a few days. That is more than I wanted to spend but it looks pretty nice and most wrx's are listed for 5 or 6k. Its not an STI but still is 4wd turbo
This is immediately what came to mind when I read the thread title. I had one (highly modified) for years and it was a ton of fun...when it was in good running order.

NASIOC is a great resource if you have any questions about Subarus.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

WRX is a good option. Just offer an oil change before you buy it and make sure the main bearings are disintegrating. It really is the only major issue with the cars. Run rotella oil to keep the bearings happy.

Don't be a dik to the 5 speed. It's a good transmission, but it can not handle a lot of abuse or shock load. It's an old design, so it frequently requires double clutching to get into 1st or reverse and many of them will not allow you into 1st from a roll.

They can go through deep snow.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:03 PM
AnonymousSkunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by White Out
WRX is a good option. Just offer an oil change before you buy it and make sure the main bearings are disintegrating. It really is the only major issue with the cars. Run rotella oil to keep the bearings happy.

Don't be a dik to the 5 speed. It's a good transmission, but it can not handle a lot of abuse or shock load. It's an old design, so it frequently requires double clutching to get into 1st or reverse and many of them will not allow you into 1st from a roll.

They can go through deep snow.
Good point here. I shattered a gear once I started making decent power.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 AM
oicw
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave68
I designed stainless steel brake rotors for Police Crown Vics and Chargers + had plenty of experience behind the wheels of two CVs that our company owned. The 2600 lb 2002 Mazda Protégé ES would run circles around the Crown Vic Interceptor and no doubt the 300M, as well.
Not in my experience, or Car and Driver's:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

Stock for stock, the porky 300M beats the Protoge in just about every metric.

I can't find a P71 test, but keep in mind in Michigan police tests, they consistently beat Intrepids (300M clone) in both acceleration and handling. Are the P71s you've driven in good shape, and wearing proper tires?

Piloting my Intrpied police package and P71s, I've never had a stock, pre 2006 compact (except "hot" ones like SRT/GTi/MazdaSpeed) that can beat me.

Quick Reply: Sporty winter car?