Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

You're invited to a wedding...C10 weds C5...and the TWO shall become ONE! C105

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default You're invited to a wedding...C10 weds C5...and the TWO shall become ONE! C105

Hello,
Thought some of you might enjoy my current build. We are enjoying the challenge! This is copied from http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=609995
Hope you enjoy!

Welcome and thank you for your interest...I have a dream...a lowly C10 that rides and handles like a C5 Corvette. Is it doable? Is it practical? Will it work? Questions that need to be answered...
Surprisingly, the truck weighs in at 3300 lbs...give or take. A C5...3100 lbs. When you shed the factory heavy front cross member and replace it with the C5 aluminum cradle...toss the heavy rear end assembly for the C5 aluminum rear cradle...factor in the LS6 weight savings of roughly 100 lbs....we might see a C10 weight of 3100 lbs. But, with the C5 rear-mounted tranny...the front/rear weight distribution of 53/47% for the Z06 might also be a reality!
We have the frame on a table and the C5 front and rear cradles mounted. The torque tube will need 10.5” added. We decided to use the rear frame and just stiffen as needed. We cut the front frame horns off, just in front of cab mounts...here we have added 2x4 tubing, as needed. Surprisingly...it looks like the cab will need very little surgery for the engine...Were keeping our fingers crossed! I've not decided if I will raise the bed 2” or just make a cover for the tranny where it interferes. I intend to use this as a truck...so this will be a sore spot if I don't raise the bed.
Debating were to mount a gas tank and how to run exhaust...I want all this positioned so we have tabs in place before we finish frame. Lots to consider....
I am blessed to own an industrial machine shop...and no obama, you did not build this business! Without this luxury it would be hard to accomplish this dream. I need to thank my son, Jonathon, up front because without his engineering abilities my dreams would not see the light of day!
Well, here are the first pictures (the automatic transaxle was just used for trial fit...) more to follow....God Bless!
Thanks for looking!
Jimmy
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Front suspension is complete. Will need to add some kind of cross brace after motor installation is closer. Initially, I will be running C6 Z06 front and rear springs and shocks. There has been much engineering put into the Corvette springs and except for race only vehicles they seem to be the way to go. My concern will be the truck weight and the distribution of that weight, compared to the Corvette. Rear suspension is close as well, but a cross brace still needs fabricating.

Showing C6 rear mufflers, but these will be dumped in place of a Spin-tech muffler mounted midway truck and then s/s straight pipes back to rollpan. It should make it cleaner and a much nicer look.

Brakes are 14” Brembo 2 piece rotors and 4 piston calipers. Found these used and they will require clean-up, powder paint and plating...still cheaper than new. Good size for truck.

Gas tank is next on agenda. Planning a Camaro 5th gen pump in s/s or aluminum fabricated tank. Due to narrow width of frame, it will require a two section tank with crossover between.

Planning to incorporate the factory EBCM, with lateral, yaw and directional sensors. Debating whether to go C6 or C5 components...since I would like to incorporate as much as possible using factory hardware. Since motor is C6 LS2 and using C6 computer, I'm not sure if it will talk to C5 components. I had initially planned to run an '05 Escalade dash cluster and associated BCM...there again ...no idea if it will talk to the C6 computer. C6 Vette cluster would look much nicer, but it would be harder to incorporate into the C10 dash area. I do plan on using the C6 steering column and wheel...looks like it will fit nicely.

Well, that's all for now. More details and pictures as they happen. Thanks for looking and kind comments!

God Bless!
Attached Images      
Old 09-20-2014, 05:27 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This looks like an awesome build! Looking forward to more.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:27 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Some progress, that shows...set the cab onto semi-finished chassis. Sorry for the beach towel!!! Have no idea where that came from! The finished engine required more cutting than I had expected. We will take complete firewall out and smooth anyway.
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Here is a shot from inside. Maybe I can run a motorcycle hand operated throttle! Man, it cuts into where the gas pedal was...I guess we will have enough room. We eventually set a seat in place and tried to see if the C6 steering wheel and pedal assemblies would fit. Tight...and shifted to the left more than I hoped, but necessary for engine location.
The dash is an issue. I want to run the C6 dash cluster, but incorporating it into the C10 dash and creating a smooth look seems overwhelming at this point! We hope to create a blend of late 60's and mid-2000 components...that flow and meld into a unique look. We're hoping to avoid the stark chrome door handle and digital A/C control look!
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 05:30 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Here is a shot of the back brace! Rigid!
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2014, 05:32 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Could not resist setting panel for a look! Don't look close...the rear tire is a C6 front...tiny! The new rims are welded...12" wide Gumbys! But we had not removed the inner fenders from bed...so no way were the 345/30/19 Michelins going to fit! It looks weird setting up in the air on the welding table. You keep thinking that's the angle everyone will be seeing it from...NOT!
Not until you stand at table height do you get a real idea of how it will look. It should set with about 1/2" gap between bottom of fender and the 26 1/2" tires...front and rear. A good daily driver height.
Until next time...May God Bless!
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2014, 05:37 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Hello...thanks for the kind comments and everyone's time to look! Got the Gumby rims welded. They are 12" wide and the 345/30/19 Michelin's will put about 12 1/2" of rubber down, but they look surprisingly small in pictures. Guess there is just nothing to compare or use as a reference.
Working on gas tank...it will be aluminum, with half on one side of torque tube and half on other. Camaro gen 5 pump. The gas door will be from a 90's C1500 and in bed sidewall, behind drivers door.
Debating on the dash...but just about sure we will go with the C6 Vette cluster. It will require reshaping dash, but there are several very nice looking examples out there that others have done. It is important to blend the new and old and have it look original! Well...as original as possible! Push button start from the C6, as well!
Again, thanks for looking...and God Bless
Attached Images     
Old 09-20-2014, 05:39 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

The whole purpose of this build is to have an everyday driver! One my lovely bride of 40 years, who cares nothing for hot rods, will be willing to jump in and ride along! All my other toys have either been to loud or to hard to shift or to rough riding or etc, etc ,etc. I hope this rides like a C6 Corvette, shifts like a dream and is barely audible above the 60's and 70's music she still loves to listen too! A Corvette in "Sheep's clothing"...no one will know! That said, the first thing I hope happens when it is completed...is a trip around VIR, our closest road course! Maybe we can do it on a Corvette track day...if they let us in!

Last edited by goatkeeper; 09-20-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Awesome build and very unique
Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Very nice build! I'm looking forward to seeing more!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Dagget427
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome build. I love those C10 trucks. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 70 C10.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

The build deserves a bump

Progress pictures appreciated!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Thanks for the kind words! We are shaving the drip rail...hopefully it will produce a cleaner look. Only one picture...sorry! We hope to modify the front and rear window channels so that when a windshield and black glass are installed it will look like the late model trucks. Side windows will be replaced with one piece glass, as well.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Dagget427
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates on this build?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I love it!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:55 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Sorry, everyone for no recent post. The truck is progressing...slowly. Chassis/drivetrain is finished. Cab has A/C, seats, rollbar, C6Z instrument cluster, brake/clutch/gas pedals, and custom dash. One-piece windows just came in today. Bed is finished except for wood floor. Underhood complete. Removal of center peak in hood still out in future...as is ram air scoops, if we can make them tasteful. Otherwise we will draw air from grille area. Grille and front bumper complete...massive hours in tweaking them, as well as the custom dash...but they and the unbelieveable rear end and tailgate area will really set the truck off! Maybe it will go to paint by summer! I promise I will get some pictures up soon...
God Bless!
Jimmy
Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Come see the C10 at the "Goodguys Southeastern Nationals" October 20-22, 2017 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We'll be in the covered garage! It's not finished yet, but it should show very well.

Sorry I have not been able to keep up with this post. We opened a hot rod shop called "Rusted Iron Customs"...check us out on Facebook. I'm not as involved as I'd like to be, but my son is running things.

We'll have 5 vehicles at the Goodguys show...3 in the garage area and 2 outside. An unbelievable 1965 Chevy van...check out the paint! A 1963 LeMans...oh yes, the paint again! The C10 will be showing because of the uniqueness of the build. Outside will be a 1963 Falcon wagon survivor and a airbagged slammed 1984 Dually.
Attached Images     

Last edited by goatkeeper; 10-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To You're invited to a wedding...C10 weds C5...and the TWO shall become ONE! C105

Quick Reply: You're invited to a wedding...C10 weds C5...and the TWO shall become ONE! C105