Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GT500 owners and Viper owners please enter

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:47 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I LOVE the GT 500 but to the average Schmoe (Joe) on the street its just another Mustang but there is no MISTAKING the bad azz exclusive Viper to even non-car people who rarely see a Viper on the Street.

I have a 2009 limited edition silver/black 2009 Viper SRT and the car makes a HUGE splash wherever it goes, and is constantly being videotaped and photographed when I drive it. I don't care for or need the attention but don't hate it, but will say the Gen IV Viper (2008 to 2010 is a real special car that is wickedly fast, extremely unique, reliable, rare, very user friendly for what it is, is truly a driver's car, and will destroy the GT 500 in every performance category, with its n/a 600 HP 512 ci engine, and weighing in several hundred lbs lights that the Shelby GT 500 (a car that I actually love).
Old 11-09-2014, 10:10 AM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I have trouble understanding is, why own a new Viper if you are never going to experience the "whole" package - even if the experience is limited to just straight line acceleration?
Not a bad question really and one that my girlfriend (and others) ask me all the time. I like the look, the feel, but there is nowhere close to let it loose. Too easy to get a really really big ticket (don't have radar, don't need it). I don't have that need for speed anymore and maybe the most relevant answer is that my driving skills have always been average (taken me 40 years of driving to admit). Elevated skills are necessary for a viper, even with the nannies...so in lieu...I drive an exciting car in a very boring way. Thinking about having a professional driver do some track laps with me as passenger (adult diaper on standby)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr
I've owned two Vipers, a '96 RT/10 and a '97 GTS. Maintenance is easy and very similar to a Corvette. Fluid changes and tires are pretty much all that is needed. They are tough, reliable cars and are very easy to work on. I'm actually considering picking up another one myself.
Well here you go........ $85,000.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Not a bad question really and one that my girlfriend (and others) ask me all the time. I like the look, the feel, but there is nowhere close to let it loose. Too easy to get a really really big ticket (don't have radar, don't need it). I don't have that need for speed anymore and maybe the most relevant answer is that my driving skills have always been average (taken me 40 years of driving to admit). Elevated skills are necessary for a viper, even with the nannies...so in lieu...I drive an exciting car in a very boring way. Thinking about having a professional driver do some track laps with me as passenger (adult diaper on standby)
Thanks for your reply. I agree that big HP cars require respect and attention and if you break the law and are not in Mexico, the fines can be quite high. I generally, ease my way up to full power in any new-to-me vehicle (DD's excluded as I don't see the point in going WOT in the wife's SUV). I am also very picky about when and where I choose to stab the go pedal or hang on the steering wheel in an aggressive manner, such things as empty roads, and well-known to me back roads that I can see around the entire corner, and absolutely never in traffic.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

I'd have to hold out for a TR C7 over GT 500 or Viper.

I actually had a GT 500, just to try something different.
Circa 1967. Now that was a car to have. Or a Cobra.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:41 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I would go with viper, but only Gen III or IV.

I'd pick the GT500 over the Gen I and II Vipers.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:31 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Coincidently, when I reviewed this thread I saw user name "White Out" as I was listening to "Wipe Out" on Utube ...Just saying.

Quick Reply: GT500 owners and Viper owners please enter