Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Viper no longer racing in IMSA...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Viper no longer racing in IMSA...

They're discontinuing the race program. Read more at the link. I wonder how much it has to do with manipulating the rules or that the street car isn't selling well.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1410_chrys...g_program.html
Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The motto is, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday." If neither one is happening, then there is probably no point. I'm not sure that I
would want to race in this series given that if you show too much speed, you'll be regulated to mid-pack.

It's too bad about Viper, they are American, after all. But I would think some independent teams will show up with some Vipers. I wish Chevrolet would allow private teams to race Corvettes.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

As brilliant and determined as Ralph Gilles is, I think he swung and missed on this gen. Not enough mass appeal, waaay overpriced, and then the lines between it and the Hellcat cousins are blurred.

It's too bad that the Viper sales suck and Dodge has elected to pull out of Nascar and IMSA.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
As brilliant and determined as Ralph Gilles is, I think he swung and missed on this gen. Not enough mass appeal, waaay overpriced, and then the lines between it and the Hellcat cousins are blurred.

It's too bad that the Viper sales suck and Dodge has elected to pull out of Nascar and IMSA.
I remember going to Lime Rock Park last year for one of the races and virtually no one was checking out the Viper in contrast to the Corvette Stingray.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:24 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I'm not sure that I
would want to race in this series given that if you show too much speed, you'll be regulated to mid-pack.
ALL race series do this kind of thing...

I wish Chevrolet would allow private teams to race Corvettes.
The Corvette brand is too important to leave in the hands of non-employees.

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I remember going to Lime Rock Park last year for one of the races and virtually no one was checking out the Viper in contrast to the Corvette Stingray.
Not surprising.
The first glance at the Viper's price tag back then and it's game over.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 AM
bigjku
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire

Brilliant? The guy has basically been continually demoted since he got his big shot. And his signature car couldn't sell enough to keep it in production without selling it for what is likely a fairly big loss.

Good car guy but appears to have built things he liked rather than what consumers wanted. Also appears to be being moved aside from real responsibility as rapidly as possible.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjku
Brilliant? The guy has basically been continually demoted since he got his big shot. And his signature car couldn't sell enough to keep it in production without selling it for what is likely a fairly big loss.

Good car guy but appears to have built things he liked rather than what consumers wanted. Also appears to be being moved aside from real responsibility as rapidly as possible.
+1
Ralph is clearly an enthusiast, but he has shot himself in the foot so many times with the Gen V Viper that it's almost comical. From blaming Randy Pobst (for being scared of the Viper) when the C6 ZR1 beat the new Viper in Motor Trend, allowing a Viper that was literally FALLING APART to be sent to Motor Trend for the Best Driver's Car test to blaming the dealers for ordering the wrong colors/options, the guy hasn't admitted (that I've heard) that the GenV's issues with pricing etc all occurred under HIS watch and hence, his fault.

Jimmy
Old 10-07-2014, 10:10 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Fiat is bleeding Chrysler dry. Thats the problem. It has nothing to do with money, Chrysler is printing cash.

Fiat is just going to take what they can then throw Chrysler by the wayside.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 AM
bigjku
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
Fiat is bleeding Chrysler dry. Thats the problem. It has nothing to do with money, Chrysler is printing cash.

Fiat is just going to take what they can then throw Chrysler by the wayside.
It is? Any proof? Perhaps they just don't want or need to throw money down a hole. If the Viper isn't profitable at it's price point the. you can't blame them if they cut cost on racing the things.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper no longer racing in IMSA...

Quick Reply: Viper no longer racing in IMSA...