Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ACR - A - Coming.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:50 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
It is a big deal. The GEN IV Viper ACR put down some serious lap times that the ZR1 couldn't come close to touching.

SRT knows how to make a track car, I think people expecting the Z06 to dominate are going to be disappointed..
They already are.... this post was moved really fast, but if it is indeed an ACR, of course it's going to whip the vette, but there is going to be a billion excuses, it's going to be even more challenging now due to the gen 5 viper being very civilized now, the hate is really going to come out this time, I find it funny now.
One thing that has changed is that these cars a really reaching their limits, so the performance gap is going to be closer.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Toilets
Lord help GM if the ACR comes close the Z07 price. And we are in big big trouble if it offers a DCT
and there we have it!! The very 1st excuse for a viper (that hasn't been released yet) for beating the corvette Z06. (Which also hasn't been released yet )

Personally I think GM waited to long to release the new Z, remember what happened to the camaro that took forever to be released ?, and all these levels of areo why can't they just release one car , I'm waiting for the waxers to start the stage 1 aero vs all the others, arguing which is better , you know it's going to happen, there are already threads of what color calipers are on the Z07 vs the others
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 383LPE
this is a great thread, performance breeds performance... period.

yes its a corvette forum, but a myopic view of sports cars wasn't Troy's original intent when the forum was stated 15 years ago.

as marques continue to evolve, we all win, without competition where would motorsports be...... go vette , viper, porche, GTR, etc... we all win as engineers compete to please us and best each other.

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Sorry to tell you that GM is not on top right now, and has only really been on top in 2006, and very shortly on top in 2008, all the other years belong to the viper when you compare the two american cars.
Everybody was saying how Z06 was going to slaughter ther viper, I always said if the viper lives they will not take second place to corvette, it is just the history of the cars and the main reason brand loyal corvette people claim to hate the viper, usually at least 15 pages of hate
I say buy what makes you feel happy no matter what the brand, no matter the ring time, put down the magazines and drive the cars.... And really drive the cars, don't read a bunch of articles and claim you drove the car, people who actually do drive these cars can't be fooled.
very well said
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
It is a big deal. The GEN IV Viper ACR put down some serious lap times that the ZR1 couldn't come close to touching.
exactly my first thought when I read that post...
Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I love the ACR cars...always will...but it's the simple mans approach to getting a job done. I think Viper should spend the investment making a viable base car before trying to push these radical street/track cars. Any car with huge aero will be fast...put a 1200lb's of a downforce on a Z51 Stingray and see what the car does...this is a simple approach. Making a car capable WITHOUT all that is impressive...the minimalist approach. A car that does insanely well on a track without stating the obvious. It's what Corvette, Porsche, GTR and others get that Viper doesn't. Well...they do...they just don't sell enough cars to invest the R&D dollars to make it happen.

So...ACR...cool...go fast...make it happen...sell a couple hundred...doesn't worry Corvette or Porsche much. Make the ACR 90k MSRP with a scheme to guarantee no markup and maybe you have something...best chance they've got.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
It's a big deal if you are a car enthusiast. This ACR will ensure GM has to keep fighting tooth and nail to stay on top.

If you can't stand to see anything other than Corvettes, then yeah, big deal.....

never liked the Viper....so BFD ... getting the new Z next car a Ferrari 458 or Scuderia
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM
bigjku
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I love the ACR cars...always will...but it's the simple mans approach to getting a job done. I think Viper should spend the investment making a viable base car before trying to push these radical street/track cars. Any car with huge aero will be fast...put a 1200lb's of a downforce on a Z51 Stingray and see what the car does...this is a simple approach. Making a car capable WITHOUT all that is impressive...the minimalist approach. A car that does insanely well on a track without stating the obvious. It's what Corvette, Porsche, GTR and others get that Viper doesn't. Well...they do...they just don't sell enough cars to invest the R&D dollars to make it happen.

So...ACR...cool...go fast...make it happen...sell a couple hundred...doesn't worry Corvette or Porsche much. Make the ACR 90k MSRP with a scheme to guarantee no markup and maybe you have something...best chance they've got.
I think this is where Viper has missed the mark badly if the goal is to actually sell cars and make a profit.

More power and a big wing aren't really doing anything but creating a race car. It's nice but pointless.

What Chevy did with the Z06 in this generation shows a much better return in my mind. If Viper was actually about making money then an auto transmission and vert version would be a much better place to spend development money.

My worry with Viper has long been than it is a Giles ego project at this point. He is building the car he wants without reference to any overall company objective.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 PM
spdrcr
Instructor

Oh my
Old 10-24-2014, 04:11 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I can't wait to see it at SEMA in 2 weeks.

Factory Hoosiers and carbon ceramics.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:17 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm guessing you don't spend much time at the road course. If you did, you'd know that even the base SRT Viper does very well at the track. The TA puts down better lap times than the other cars you mentioned. Lets be honest, there is nothing "minimalist" about any of the cars you mentioned. All of them grab your attention and turn heads.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Extremely well done team Viper. Literally a factory time trial car. Kinda wish the Z07 package was this extreme
Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
and there we have it!! The very 1st excuse for a viper (that hasn't been released yet) for beating the corvette Z06. (Which also hasn't been released yet )

Personally I think GM waited to long to release the new Z, remember what happened to the camaro that took forever to be released ?, and all these levels of areo why can't they just release one car , I'm waiting for the waxers to start the stage 1 aero vs all the others, arguing which is better , you know it's going to happen, there are already threads of what color calipers are on the Z07 vs the others
No excuse here buddy. Both amazing cars of which I have one at 3100 status (Z07). All I was simply implying was if the ACR came in at Z07 prices then we got some real (and healthy) competition.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:49 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the ACR cars...always will...but it's the simple mans approach to getting a job done. I think Viper should spend the investment making a viable base car before trying to push these radical street/track cars.
Ummm what are you talking about?
The 'base" Viper TA doesn't have anything radical about it and has the lap record at Laguna Seca.
Pretty sure that's "viable".
Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 AM
bigjku
Advanced

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Ummm what are you talking about?
The 'base" Viper TA doesn't have anything radical about it and has the lap record at Laguna Seca.
Pretty sure that's "viable".
I think you missed his point entirely. Making a more specialized car that has an even narrower audience than one which already saw its production lines stopped for a time and a huge price cut seems like a move in the wrong direction if your goal is to actually sell cars.

I think Ralph is a great car guy. But his business savy is pretty poor and it's honestly a threat to the overall viper brand at some point. It needs to broaden its appeal, not narrow it. Not arguing it needs corvette like sales but they need to be able to build a couple hundred a month to make it viable long term. This won't help with that at all.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr
Oh my
Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
I do not believe ACR will beat Z06 this time.This Z was built for the track much more so than the old C6 Z.
And what about the ZR1 that the old 2010 ACR obliterated at the 'Ring?

Get notified of new replies

To ACR - A - Coming.......

Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you guys not seen the aero on this new ACR? lol, with track tires it will wreck the new Z06. I have my doubts the new Z06 will even beat the GENIV ACR time, let alone the GENV.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

you make some great points about the Viper, I think they need to make a set amount, set the MSRP at 90k and sell them all and let that be it. The stealers will mark them up, but they should leave it at that. Limited production. That or create a mini Viper to sell for less, but I'm assuming that's what the Challengers and Chargers etc are.

HOWEVER, bolting aero to a stingray will not make it on the same level as an ACR. Not even remotely. The drag alone will significantly reduce straight line acceleration. You'd need the torque and power of the ZR1 or new Z06 to keep up.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
I do not believe ACR will beat Z06 this time.This Z was built for the track much more so than the old C6 Z.
Take a second look at those tires.

ACR is taking a minimalistic approach; shed weight, big brakes, sticky tires, and add downforce.

The minimalists

. . . don't expect the 991GT3RS to skip out on the stickers.

Originally Posted by bigjku
I think this is where Viper has missed the mark badly if the goal is to actually sell cars and make a profit.

More power and a big wing aren't really doing anything but creating a race car. It's nice but pointless.

What Chevy did with the Z06 in this generation shows a much better return in my mind. If Viper was actually about making money then an auto transmission and vert version would be a much better place to spend development money.

My worry with Viper has long been than it is a Giles ego project at this point. He is building the car he wants without reference to any overall company objective.
So the Viper ACR sticking to its roots of being a race car for the street is bad because it's not offered as a vert with an automatic???

The goal clearly isn't to appeal to everyone. Hell, major feats in the past 22 years of Viper are: windows, exterior door handles, ABS and traction control.

Quick Reply: ACR - A - Coming.......