Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Craigslist find.. "fair condition"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Craigslist find.. "fair condition"?

Ok so I'm a sucker for an old car project... but I think this guy is optimistic on the use of 'fair condition' /and/ his price... WTF

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/4709875603.html
Old 10-15-2014, 02:16 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

"Floors and rockers are bad, but the body is good...."

Aren't those beetles unit bodies. Therefore if the floors are shot, the rest of it is pretty well useless??
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Aren't those beetles unit bodies. Therefore if the floors are shot, the rest of it is pretty well useless??
Close but not exactly.... while they don't have 'frame' like we normally think of, They do have a central Beam that supports the main components of the chassis. The floor boards are welded to that and then body is perimeter bolted around the edge of the floor pan. So while the chassis and body do act as one in the assembly, they are separate entities. Which make the Meyer Manx style dune buggies possible.

To fix that car properly however would take a complete pan-off rebuild and IMO would need the body braced with steel to keep it from twisting/moving before removing from the chassis. Then a LOT of new sheet metal would need to be added... it can be done, but not very practical.

I was looking because I have crazy idea of building a formula VEE

and making it street legal, for a fun, light, fuel efficient commuter car. The title is worth something.. but not that much!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:10 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

It would be easier to do a Manx style buggy than a FV. There are some wicked handling buggies running around (and by wicked, I mean good).
Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

rockers = heater channels. Fixable, but not worth it.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Madhatr
Close but not exactly.... while they don't have 'frame' like we normally think of, They do have a central Beam that supports the main components of the chassis. The floor boards are welded to that and then body is perimeter bolted around the edge of the floor pan. So while the chassis and body do act as one in the assembly, they are separate entities. Which make the Meyer Manx style dune buggies possible.

To fix that car properly however would take a complete pan-off rebuild and IMO would need the body braced with steel to keep it from twisting/moving before removing from the chassis. Then a LOT of new sheet metal would need to be added... it can be done, but not very practical.

I was looking because I have crazy idea of building a formula VEE

and making it street legal, for a fun, light, fuel efficient commuter car. The title is worth something.. but not that much!
The back tires of your VEE will be sure to kit up plenty of stones that will:

Enrage the person in the vehicle behind you when one of those stones creates a big spider web crack in their windshield.

Give them justification to roll over you at the next stop light.

Still, your trying to escape the infuriated redneck in a Mustang would make for some good youtube video........
Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by The_Dude
rockers = heater channels. Fixable, but not worth it.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
It would be easier to do a Manx style buggy than a FV. There are some wicked handling buggies running around (and by wicked, I mean good).
Yeah I agree with this too, I have a manx style buggy that is street legal and a blast. It's just my co-workers give me a hard time about driving my Vette back and forth to work. I would LOVE to see their faces if I pulled up in a FV

Originally Posted by Dave68
The back tires of your VEE will be sure to kit up plenty of stones that will:

Enrage the person in the vehicle behind you when one of those stones creates a big spider web crack in their windshield.

Give them justification to roll over you at the next stop light.

Still, your trying to escape the infuriated redneck in a Mustang would make for some good youtube video........

Get notified of new replies

To Craigslist find.. "fair condition"?