Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Viper vs. ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
This is an interesting post. I took a almost new ZR1 home for two days last year from a dealer friend of mine to see if I wanted to buy it. This was long before I had ever driven any Viper. Bottom line, I hated the ZR1. Yes, it was relatively fast, but soft, the shifter was horrible (like all Corvette shifters), the interior was no better than the 2006 Z06 I had (still squeaky, plasticky and cheap), and just simply didn't thrill me at all (long, smoky burnouts aren't what I consider exciting). I think my C7 Z51 coupe was a much better car than that ZR1 was, other than the fact that the ZR1 had more power.

Fast forward to the Viper TA that I have now have, and it's literally everything I had hoped the ZR1 would have been. Significantly better...everywhere. Feel, involvement, interior and exterior quality, so much better to me than the ZR1. The new Z06 will be better than the ZR1 was for sure, but it's still a Corvette in a sea of million of corvettes and will still have that spongy, long, inaccurate shift feel that I hate so much, not forgetting the inherent (and sad) dilution of the Z06 moniker by producing the cars with a slush-box.

But different stokes for different folks. As long as we enjoy our own cars, it really doesn't matter if we agree. Cheers!
well said. love my TA and loved my ZR. prefer my TA but would like to own them both, but hey, we all cant be like Capt. Van!!!

Quick Reply: Viper vs. ZR1