Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone experienced with GM Ecotec engines?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:20 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone experienced with GM Ecotec engines?

I need opinions and procedures for changing out a timing chain tensioner on a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 2.2L Ecotec. I'm getting conflicting stories of how to go about this on other Forums and because the Corvette Forum never steers me wrong, I'm posting here.

To give some back story, I have an 04 Vue with roughly 106k miles. It's been trouble free except for some valve train noise when cold at start up. I was told by the Chevy Dealer I purchased the vehicle from that this was normal for all Ecotecs and I never thought twice about it. The noise would go away within 5 seconds and not return until the next cold startup. Anyway, I understand now that the noise is from the timing chain tensioner not extending to the guide allowing slack and its the chain actually making the noise. Once the tensioner receives oil pressure, it will extend and the noise goes away. Well I also understand that the tensioner has been revised in design so my FSM will not address this as the part is a different design.

Anyway, if anyone here has experience with Ecotec's, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. As the Ecotec is a zero interference motor, I don't want to mess with the timing chain incorrectly and blow the engine.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 PM
doran.md
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done timing chain swaps on a few ecotecs, the timing chain tensioner is on the exhaust side. It comes compressed, it is supposed to expand when it gets a little pressure. I usually put a long flat blade screw driver in there and give it a tap with a hammer. But I have heard that they will just pop out with the pressure of the chain.

Also, if you don't want to hit it with a screw driver like i did, you should be abe to just unscrew the old tensioner and screw the new one in. it is pretty accessable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone experienced with GM Ecotec engines?