Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche 996 vs S2000...best driver, best buy, best long term hold, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Porsche 996 vs S2000...best driver, best buy, best long term hold, etc

It's simple...you go on an S2k forum...they'll say S2k...you go on rennlist they'll say Porsche...we all love what we own usually, because that's why we bought it.

As a background...I've owned custom car shops for many years. I started doing installs, then moved to fab, tuning, chassis prep, track support, full scratch builds, you name it. Honda really was a staple for me, my first several years in business. I've come to HIGHLY appreciate honda engineering and the instant injection of racing technology they put into their street cars. The S2000 and NSX are both machines I regard highly for what they brought to the table....as is the Z06, which is why I own it. Along with that I have an E36 M3...another car I appreciate for various reasons.

So...here's the dilemma. I have started to debate selling the S2k in order to build a 996, and I have come up with this for many reasons. Often I build cars to support my shop, draw business, obtain clients, etc...and that's always worked for me. I love the S2000, and I do think the car is a "keeper" in terms of what Honda created...it's a fantastic execution, a fantastic driving experience...there's no question.

The 996 on the other hand...isn't really any of those things. It's not particularly special, considered the black sheep of 911's for decades...BUT...it's a Porsche still. From a build perspective...I can work with it..there's no question about that either.

So, inevitably I've come down to the decision of...do I sell the S2k (whose demographics continue to go downhill still...younger, broker, etc) and buy a Porsche 996 as a development machine?

This can be argued in so many ways, as I've almost debated it here, so here's the cliffs and I'll simplify:

1. S2k vs 996 C2...which is the better driving experience stock for stock (I had a 993 C4S...never drove a 996)
2. S2k vs 996 long term demographics and perception, which is better
3. Given the choice of a 100k mile stock S2k or a 160k mile Porsche 996 C2...all other factors the same (maintenance good, no prior accidents, 2 owners, etc), which would you choose?
4. Any factors you think haven't been considered?

For me, long term value and "collectibility" is a no factor...I don't care about those things. I will mod the 996 heavily...that will be its life. The S2k I've somewhat preserved as my wife used it a lot...that's not the case now. It has RPF1's on hit and some basic mods...but nothing more for now.

I'm sold on going for the Porsche...anyone feel otherwise?

Last edited by RC000E; 10-23-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:34 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Please buy a 996 and move to maryland! The shops that work on these cars here make fortune and have a ton of business.

Last edited by PeterK; 10-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys.

I see the 996 as existing kind of in a limbo state along with the C5. Great cars with great potential, that kind of live in a shadow behind their younger counterparts. For that reason, it seems the aftermarket has ignored both of them, to a degree.

I'm aware of the RMS/IMS issues. Certainly, owning and developing any car involves a thorough knowledge, but dealing with Porsche owners from a maintenance perspective is not something I'd involve my shop in...ever...lol. That's just not a crowd I enjoy working with, from a service perspective. This car would be more a platform to develop parts/products for than anything.

I actually did one of the first Porsche Panamera's when they came out for a Porsche Club of America exhibit. Did a custom body kit, wheels, exhaust, etc....anything to make that car look better...lol. I had a good experience with it, but all those factory/no mods/check out my low miles and service records types...not for me...haha.

Yeah...it's a pretty much set decision for me. I love the S2000, but I bought the car more as an appreciation for the brand and the platform. I never really had intention of "developing" anything for it, because that market is more than covered. Additionally, at 6'2", I don't fit in the car all that well. The Porsche is more of a true sports car (without a standard limited slip...explain that one...) and a platform that just carries a legacy with it.

My C5Z stays though...can't be getting rid of that. I appreciate the comparison to an E36M3...that helps me understand that much better. I own a 1995 M3 that I'm building as my trackday car, so that comment hits home. I also have a 2003 330ci driver/lightly modded car. So...the Porsche just seems like a natural way to go next I guess.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I think regular maintenance and repairs is where you'll make the most money. Local shops charge $100 in labor for an oil change on 996 and prices only go up with 997 and 991.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

s2000 will be a classic car, guaranteed. The 996 was and is a POS besides the turbo and gt3 with the mezger. I'd keep the s2k.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:05 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Thanks for the responses guys.

I see the 996 as existing kind of in a limbo state along with the C5. Great cars with great potential, that kind of live in a shadow behind their younger counterparts. For that reason, it seems the aftermarket has ignored both of them, to a degree.

I'm aware of the RMS/IMS issues. Certainly, owning and developing any car involves a thorough knowledge, but dealing with Porsche owners from a maintenance perspective is not something I'd involve my shop in...ever...lol. That's just not a crowd I enjoy working with, from a service perspective. This car would be more a platform to develop parts/products for than anything.

I actually did one of the first Porsche Panamera's when they came out for a Porsche Club of America exhibit. Did a custom body kit, wheels, exhaust, etc....anything to make that car look better...lol. I had a good experience with it, but all those factory/no mods/check out my low miles and service records types...not for me...haha.

Yeah...it's a pretty much set decision for me. I love the S2000, but I bought the car more as an appreciation for the brand and the platform. I never really had intention of "developing" anything for it, because that market is more than covered. Additionally, at 6'2", I don't fit in the car all that well. The Porsche is more of a true sports car (without a standard limited slip...explain that one...) and a platform that just carries a legacy with it.

My C5Z stays though...can't be getting rid of that. I appreciate the comparison to an E36M3...that helps me understand that much better. I own a 1995 M3 that I'm building as my trackday car, so that comment hits home. I also have a 2003 330ci driver/lightly modded car. So...the Porsche just seems like a natural way to go next I guess.
I don't see how you can say the 996 is a "true sports car" when they are 4 seat vehicles, where the S2000 is a 2 seat only..

A sports car (sportscar) is a small, usually two seater, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.

Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche 996 vs S2000...best driver, best buy, best long term hold, etc

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 vs S2000...best driver, best buy, best long term hold, etc