Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

It's a done deal GM has gone TURBO with new performance cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:15 AM
dio55
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 62 Posts
Default It's a done deal GM has gone TURBO with new performance cars

Looks like the Zora "turbo" rumors are true

Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dio55
Well, it's actually no real secret that at least one of the new Camaro engine offerings is going to be a turbocharged engine, likely the 4 cylinder turbo from the Cadillac ATS to compete with the Mustang 4 cylinder turbo. Maybe the CTS 'V Sport' twin turbo V6 will find it's way into one model as well?
The SS model will still be a V8 (LT1?) of course.
But whether the car in this video was a turbo model or not remains to be seen/known...and further, what any of this has to do with a distantly, remotely possible future turbocharged Corvette is a total mystery to me.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

You've been fooled. There is nothing about that video that shows a turbocharged engine. Furthermore, there is nothing "Zora" about it.

It's a Camaro like vehicle with camo. That's it.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:22 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't see anything Turbo about it...or anything even Camaro either.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

OK, someone post a photo of the 1984 Buick Grand National as "evidence" that GM has been planning this turbo Zora for over 30 years
Old 10-24-2014, 07:56 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

No offense to the original poster but the turbo 4 in the next camaro should would compete with the ecoboost 2.3 mustang ...

I personally think without tuning the ecoboost mustang is kind of lame....I believe we will based off what we heard on www.autoline.tv/autoline after hours that the next mustang gt500 will have twin turbo v8 power with greater than 707 hp ....(chief engineer was on the show)

Nothing here in the video about turbo Zora c7.... I believe the packaging constraints on the corvette engine bay preclude turbos to replace super chargers...

The packaging of the supercharger plus the recent advancements make the supercharger a nice forced induction system for corvette..

Jmo
Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 AM
camarodoctor
I ♥ My Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why?

Why is this thread even in the C7 Z06 forum?

<Nancy Kerrigan cry>

WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!

</Nancy Kerrigan cry>
Old 10-24-2014, 10:02 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
No offense to the original poster but the turbo 4 in the next camaro should would compete with the ecoboost 2.3 mustang ...

I personally think without tuning the ecoboost mustang is kind of lame....I believe we will based off what we heard on www.autoline.tv/autoline after hours that the next mustang gt500 will have twin turbo v8 power with greater than 707 hp ....(chief engineer was on the show)

Nothing here in the video about turbo Zora c7.... I believe the packaging constraints on the corvette engine bay preclude turbos to replace super chargers...

The packaging of the supercharger plus the recent advancements make the supercharger a nice forced induction system for corvette..

Jmo

Several years ago(around 2006) GM designed and tooled up to produce a 4.5L diesel V8 with dual overhead cam with four valves per cylinder, with twin turbos resting between the heads(reverse flow) and the engine was designed to fit in the same box as the LS series V8.

One thing the engine had that allowed it to be dimensionally smaller was that the block is made of compacted graphite and weighs no more than an aluminum block. It would have the strength for some serious horsepower.

I'm pretty sure a gasoline version of that engine would fit inside the engine bay of the Corvette, and not weigh more that the LT4.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Lock this thread.

Better yet. Delete it.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 AM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Several years ago(around 2006) GM designed and tooled up to produce a 4.5L diesel V8 with dual overhead cam with four valves per cylinder, with twin turbos resting between the heads(reverse flow) and the engine was designed to fit in the same box as the LS series V8.

One thing the engine had that allowed it to be dimensionally smaller was that the block is made of compacted graphite and weighs no more than an aluminum block. It would have the strength for some serious horsepower.

I'm pretty sure a gasoline version of that engine would fit inside the engine bay of the Corvette, and not weigh more that the LT4.
I'm pretty sure the angle of the cylinders was lowered to make the overall package narrower as well.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

So it's still going to look like the Gen 5.... great. :yuck:
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by undertaker
I'm pretty sure the angle of the cylinders was lowered to make the overall package narrower as well.
72 degrees vs 90 degrees to compensate for the wider DOHC heads. Also the intake is through the valve covers instead of the side of the heads, in order to keep the width of the engine the same as the LS series V8.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dio55
Looks like the Zora "turbo" rumors are true
You are one sharp cookie!

If that's not proof of a twin turbo mid-engined Zora, I don't know what is!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

I think the Zora will be powered by the 8-6-4 powerplant made famous in the Cadillac Catera (the Cadillac that zigs) and brought back for a very special car.

That's my rumor.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by khoeysr
I think the Zora will be powered by the 8-6-4 powerplant made famous in the Cadillac Catera (the Cadillac that zigs) and brought back for a very special car.

That's my rumor.

OOUPH, gulp. Had to swallow a little puke on that one.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM
dio55
Racer

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
You've been fooled. There is nothing about that video that shows a turbocharged engine. Furthermore, there is nothing "Zora" about it.

It's a Camaro like vehicle with camo. That's it.
The sound... it's the sound there is no way to mask the muted exhaust note of a turbocharged engine..dual exhaust means that its either a v6 0r v8 yet it will sound like a muted small capacity 4 banger
Old 10-24-2014, 01:01 PM
dio55
Racer

Jmo
Never said THIS video was about a turbocharged Zora..But once GM starts taking its PERFORMANCE cars turbo it's going to go all the way to it's flagships add the NEW fuel efficiency standards due in 2016 and it will be obvious that Turbos, Hybrids or TurboHybrids will be the future as of NOW for future performance cars

Get notified of new replies

To It's a done deal GM has gone TURBO with new performance cars

Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
dio55
Racer

Jmo
Ever see a turbo 4 banger with those huge dual exhausts shown in the video
Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your video has nothing to do with turbo anything anyway.

Either you didn't watch it, are trying to mislead us, or exist in some odd world where you think that video has anything to do with it.

Why did you post this in the Z06 section? It's a camo'ed Camaro.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:29 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by khoeysr
... Cadillac Catera (the Cadillac that zigs)...

Totally forgot about that one. Cartoon ducks.

Quick Reply: It's a done deal GM has gone TURBO with new performance cars