Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

No longer in love with the C7 Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from the Miami Car show and was originally very excited about placing an order for a 2016 C7 Z06 when the 2016 order guide is released. Now, this is in doubt because I really looked closely at the Z06 on the platform today. I can't get over the appearance that there are so many things just appear tacked on rather than being integrated into the overall design. The plastic fender extensions, the front splitter and rear spoiler, the side vents all look like afterthoughts that were just added on rather than designed in from the start. The base C7 had a cleaner look to me. The killer for me was that there were 2 cars there that really sparked more excitement. The Camaro Z28 with those monster 305 tires all around, and the new Mustang which was absolutely gorgeous.

I consider myself a car enthusiast, Corvette guy, and track addict, having owned Corvettes for 27 of the last 30 years and have never before considered buying a Ford product. I am eagerly awaiting the 11/17 release of the GT350 with its 600hp normally aspirated 5.2 liter motor and track setup. I assume it will be Ford's answer to the Camaro Z28, which just beat out the 911 Turbo S to win Motor Trend Driver's Car of the Year. Everything I read about the Z28 says it is an amazingly balanced feat of engineering, and it looked very impressive seeing it in person.

Now I'm back to square one although I think I am leaning toward the GT350 but that really depends on what it turns out to be in 9 days. All I can say is the sound bytes from the spy videos from the Nurburgring sound unbelievable. The Z06 is an incredible package for the money, but so are the other two, and the lines and aesthetics of the Mustang (GT was at the show) are light years better than ever before.

Since I won't be purchasing anything for about 9 months, I have time to really see them in person and hear owners' feedback. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the options of dual purpose street/track cars under $100K that will be readily available. And then there's the Viper sitting in the back of the room too.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 11-08-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I just got back from the Miami Car show and was originally very excited about placing an order for a 2016 C7 Z06 when the 2016 order guide is released. Now, this is in doubt because I really looked closely at the Z06 on the platform today. I can't get over the appearance that there are so many things just appear tacked on rather than being integrated into the overall design. The plastic fender extensions, the front splitter and rear spoiler, the side vents all look like afterthoughts that were just added on rather than designed in from the start. The base C7 had a cleaner look to me. The killer for me was that there were 2 cars there that really sparked more excitement. The Camaro Z28 with those monster 305 tires all around, and the new Mustang which was absolutely gorgeous.

I consider myself a car enthusiast, Corvette guy, and track addict, having owned Corvettes for 27 of the last 30 years and have never before considered buying a Ford product. I am eagerly awaiting the 11/17 release of the GT350 with its 600hp normally aspirated 5.2 liter motor and track setup. I assume it will be Ford's answer to the Camaro Z28, which just beat out the 911 Turbo S to win Motor Trend Driver's Car of the Year. Everything I read about the Z28 says it is an amazingly balance feat of engineering, and it looked very impressive seeing it in person.

Now I'm back to square one although I think I am leaning toward the GT350 but that really depends on what it turns out to be in 9 days. All I can say is the sound bytes from the spy videos from the Nurburgring sound unbelievable. The Z06 is an incredible package for the money, but so are the other two, and the lines and aesthetics of the Mustang (GT was at the show) are light years better than ever before.

Since I won't be purchasing anything for about 9 months, I have time to really see them in person and hear owners' feedback. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the options of dual purpose street/track cars under $100K that will be readily available. And then there's the Viper sitting in the back of the room too.
my buddy just bought one of these...amazing track car, but not a DD...actually he only got in a few hot laps our last time out then it had a fatal (for the car, not my friend) oil cooler leak. He does like it much better than his 2011 Z06 on the track though for the little amount he drove it. I'm sure the huge splitter, DSSV's and Trofeo R's had a lot to do with that.

Last edited by 05dsom; 11-08-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_190825.png
Views: 7589
Size:  915.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_190842.png
Views: 7594
Size:  907.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_190922.png
Views: 7545
Size:  911.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_190950.png
Views: 7561
Size:  906.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191015.png
Views: 7489
Size:  841.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191028.png
Views: 7407
Size:  893.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191049.png
Views: 7314
Size:  728.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191112.png
Views: 7274
Size:  829.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191205.png
Views: 7237
Size:  795.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191233.png
Views: 7251
Size:  831.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191256.png
Views: 7142
Size:  721.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20141108_191256.png
Views: 7142
Size:  721.9 KB
Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

How many track days do you do per year?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

2 words... See ya. you seem to overlook something about the Vette that neither the Camaro or Mustang have, it stands out from the crowd. Actually, why anyone would try to compare the Mustang is well beyond me.

The true fact is that the Vette has always had, and still has, a certain thing about it that people turn their heads for... It is like that with very few cars IMO but this improved tenfold with this new Z06. Plastic parts my ***....we have seen tons of piks. This car is stunning And it is the closest thing to a true race car that you will find in a production middle...IMO.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 PM
VettesintheRockies
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have a 'all black Camaro'...and I mean all black....LT7 engine, the works.....it is mean looking....if I was a younger guy that would be the way to go.......but
Just me and the wife with a lot of traveling to do......it's Corvette for us!
There are so many options out there.....so you post your switching....I guess you need to be on the forum of what you buy....
We here love our cars......and your post should be somewhere else...but glad your here.....and have fun!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I consider myself a car enthusiast, Corvette guy, and track addict, having owned Corvettes for 27 of the last 30 years and have never before considered buying a Ford product. I am eagerly awaiting the 11/17 release of the GT350 with its 600hp normally aspirated 5.2 liter motor and track setup. I assume it will be Ford's answer to the Camaro Z28, which just beat out the 911 Turbo S to win Motor Trend Driver's Car of the Year. Everything I read about the Z28 says it is an amazingly balance feat of engineering, and it looked very impressive seeing it in person.

Man are you going to catch a ton of **** for saying anything but praise for the new Z. You are not allowed to have an opinion of this forum. lol
Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

It truly is a great time to be a car guy for sure...I must say though for the first time since 05 with the introduction of the S197 Mustang I can not take to this new Mustang the front end just don't look right but looks are very subjective..good luck with your decision in time!!....
Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Hey man...To each his own so Im going to give my own...

That Mustang was as plain Jane as anything I ever saw...The Camaro is a beast. That Z is absolutely beautiful. Tacked on stuff? Really man? Oh well, you have to get what you feel good about. If its the Mustang or Camaro...Go out and get it! But if you do and a Z rolls up next to you...Well you know the deal! LOL!

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I saw a Z28 in person this summer at the Car Craft Nats. We were all blown away. Stunning.

But at the end of the day....it ain't a Corvette.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 PM
nethomas
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I somewhat agree with some of what the OP says. That is why I am going with the stage one aero. I love the lines of the C7. I had a 2014 and now driving a 2015 until I get my Z06. I don't however care for the full aero package. Just looks a little to "ricer" for me. Don't flame him too much.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Personally I agree with OP. The only thing I really love about the appearance of the new Z is the larger rear fenders and tires. The rest of the stuff isn't going to age well IMO. I can't stand the clear tail lights either.

The Camaro still does nothing for me. Looks like a brick. The Mustangs have all looked pretty similar to me since they went retro. Good looking, but similar.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks are subjective. The Mustang is just fugly. I like Camaros, had a 3rd gen and 4th gen, the Z/28 is gorgeous, but the interior is a big letdown, as expected. Do you intend to use the car as a track car only?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I saw a Z06/Z07 convertible at SEMA. I wasn't blown away by the looks. The Z28 certainly has that "tacked on" look also. I haven't seen a GT350, but the new Mustang looks good, but I losing a bit of excitement for it, too, now that I've seen it a number of times.

I think it would be hard to beat how the Z06 will drive, though. It's lower to the ground than the Mustang, and it's lighter, so right there it has a big advantage.

Michael
Old 11-08-2014, 08:54 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by nethomas
I somewhat agree with some of what the OP says. That is why I am going with the stage one aero. I love the lines of the C7. I had a 2014 and now driving a 2015 until I get my Z06. I don't however care for the full aero package. Just looks a little to "ricer" for me. Don't flame him too much.

I agree the full aero pkg does look a bit to ricer to me also I will be going with the stage one pkg.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:54 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with the OP however, as a 650HP track car, it's fine by me. Some GT-Rs trims "suffer" of the same. Of course, it makes them wicked fast. In terms of Mustang, I'm generally not a fan; I saw a black one with dark wheels and it looked way better in person. Camaros need a refresh...
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I'm not going to flame the OP. I agree there are some great choices out there when it comes to cool, fun, fast cars. It's a good time to be a car guy.

The new Z certainly doesn't integrate its pieces as well as say a 458 or F12. It's one of the reasons I chose NRB - in order to blend some of that in a bit better (that, and for some dumbass reason they dropped CG).

The Camaro is ready for a re-fresh, but offers variants that are beastly. I'm torn on the Mustang. At times I think the new rear end works. At other angles, I'm not so sure. I'm certain the front end doesn't work - at least for me. I'm actually a bit disappointed by it.

One thing the new Z will have, in addition to generally great styling overall, will be glorious, PD huffer-induced low end torque, which is a blast to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To No longer in love with the C7 Z06...

Old 11-08-2014, 09:11 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Hey to each his own, but he lost me when using those other cars in the same sentence as a Corvette!

Corvette is like a bottle of Dom compared to a bottle of Korbel when compared to those cars. Not knocking them but different league of cars! Even if they came with 1,000 HP.

But hey buy what you like or in many instances, what you can afford.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
I saw a Z28 in person this summer at the Car Craft Nats. We were all blown away. Stunning.

But at the end of the day....it ain't a Corvette.
It aint a Corvette? No kidding? What is it with the belief on this forum that if it doesn't have cross flags that it's not worth a damn? For Christs sake, the Corvette is not the "end all" for performance car enthusiasts. Believe it or not, there are actually people out there that prefer a Camaro, or M3 or Porsche to a Corvette anything. I've been a Corvette fan since I've been 3 years old, and I've owned 6 Corvettes. But I feel sorry for you guys that own nothing but Corvettes and think it's the only performance car worth owning.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the OP with everything except the Z28 looks wise. See those fender extensions? Those stick out to me like a sore thumb. Obv they have their purpose, but they ruin the look of the side of the car for me. Taked on. And the interior of the 5th gen Camaro is a non starter. I dont care what kind of car you have, that interior is unacceptable. My advice to OP, wait for the unveiling of the 6th gen Camaro. That is going to be my next purchase. Then a Z06 later on when they hit low to mid $40k in 2018-2019.

To everyone else, who says the new Mustang is "fugly"...that is one gorgeous car. Im sorry yall need to take the Corvette blinders off. Ford hit a home run with that design and the new GT350 is going to be a killer car when it arrives. Gotta give credit where credit is due right? Even on a Vette forum...