Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Have opportunity to get a Hellcat at MSRP, should I get it or wait for Z06 under MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:10 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
Should I jump on the chance for a Hellcat at MSRP or wait for Z06 to be discounted? I think the Hellcat will hold its value a lot longer than the Z06 will, but have never owned a Dodge product and have been a vette guy my entire adult life. I haven't seen a Hellcat in person, but my buddy just picked his up Saturday and sent me pics of the exterior is awesome. What would you guys do?
I am getting a hellcat for my daily driver, and pickup a Z06 next year when the discounts are good, as you I have NEVER owned a Dodge product, and it should be good for smoking the rear tires.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:15 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned a dodge product for a year or so. A Challenger SRT to be exact. After all the random little issues I won't again. I can't imagine how anyone could be satisfied with that boat just because they threw another 230 hp at it. I can only assume people buying in to the hype haven't driven that platform before. That or they think straight line acceleration is all that matters (because that's all that car will have).
Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM
RJ111
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought about doing the same thing, and buy a Hellcat. I thought the Z06 was going to be hard to get.

I bought a ZL1 when it came out, and thought I would enjoy it as much as the Vette. I've had 7 Vette's.

I liked the ZL1, but it just didn't do it for me. And people thought the ZL1 would hold its value too. That didn't happen. And I think the Hellcat will be worse.

I started seeing allocations pop up for the Z06, and started calling around and found a pretty good deal on one.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered a Z06. I have a C7 Z51 now, And I love the car. I figure the Z06 will be so much better than the Stingray. I think the Corvette is in my blood now, I will probably always have one...
Old 11-17-2014, 05:55 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
Apple and orange. Get what you want

It's that simple!!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:03 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Go take a ride or drive your buddies Hellcat and get back to us, I really think the Hellcat is a cool Muscle Car, The Z06 to me is in another league, If I was wealthy I would own both.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM
hognutz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on why you are buying it. It is not going to handle that well. it has a ton of power. I like the car but it is not going to deliver the thrills of a Z06 if you like to drive fast on a road with a bend it it.

I just don't believe the LX chasis is good for handling. I put a ton of pedders suspension on my 300c and it handled like crap compared to my stock ZL1.

the challenger is a more daily driver friendly car though than a corvette or a camaro though.

MY .02 is buy the corvette unless you need a backseat. these heavy 4k cars are a PITA to launch without tire. my 07 Z06 was so much easier to get out of the hole than my Zl1 now that it has mods. 600whp, heavy car, and normal tire = lots of peadling for traction.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With an early winter coming in for who knows how long you have time to decide without being pushed

The new flat crank GT350 announced today looks really nice. Personally I would give up a fair amount of FI power in exchange for a good NA motor that is supposed to rev to 8000 and make well over 500 HP.

More info should be available at its LA show launch next week

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/f...ficial-photos/

Last edited by Shurshot; 11-17-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Is this a serious question?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
With an early winter coming in for who knows how long you have time to decide without being pushed

The new flat crank GT350 announced today looks really nice. Personally I would give up a fair amount of FI power in exchange for a good NA motor that is supposed to rev to 8000 and make well over 500 HP.

More info should be available at its LA show launch next week

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/f...ficial-photos/
First time in my life...I am a mustang fan. Major improvement. I like the side fender vent better than the ZO6 side fender vent. Not that the ZO6 side vent is bad, but the big slab of black plastic doesn't do justice to one of the most iconic design elements of the corvette...and the base vette vent is worse. However, I still much prefer the ZO6 over this new mustang, but I would buy this GT350 before I buy the base vette...and I cannot believe I just said that!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:07 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Did you sell your ZR1? If your trading it for a Hellcat I think your crazy. Keep the ZR1 and let the ZO6 depreciate, and then pick a ZO6 up.
Better yet, keep the ZR1 because it's already better looking then the ZO6 coming out. Like the new car, but it looks kinda cheesy with all the angles and aero crap, almost like a after thought
Completely agree......the more pics I see of the new Z, the more I hate it. C6 Z and ZR are def'ly nicer looking
Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 PM
tg07
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Completely agree......the more pics I see of the new Z, the more I hate it. C6 Z and ZR are def'ly nicer looking
Why do you spend time reading C7Z threads? Seems like a huge waste of time if you hate the way the car looks.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny, the wife says the same thing....she actually just said why not just keep the ZR1 and buy the Hellcat. If I had known that was an option, I wouldn't have posted. My casual sales pitch to her was I want a car we can all(us and our two girls) go on road trips in; we have a 68 Camaro, but its way too nice to take on longer trips. We only take it to local car shows and thats about it.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by tg07
Why do you spend time reading C7Z threads? Seems like a huge waste of time if you hate the way the car looks.
- because it's a free country
- because I'm still curious of it's performance (sad that people are about to receive them yet no hard numbers yet) which differs from it's looks
- want more???
Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM
tg07
Advanced

- because it's a free country
- because I'm still curious of it's performance (sad that people are about to receive them yet no hard numbers yet) which differs from it's looks
- want more???
Nope...I was just curious because it has always gone against my logic to spend time on things I don't like (especially things I hate). That's all
Old 11-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
First time in my life...I am a mustang fan. Major improvement. I like the side fender vent better than the ZO6 side fender vent. Not that the ZO6 side vent is bad, but the big slab of black plastic doesn't do justice to one of the most iconic design elements of the corvette...and the base vette vent is worse. However, I still much prefer the ZO6 over this new mustang, but I would buy this GT350 before I buy the base vette...and I cannot believe I just said that!
I agree with you on all aspects. I have only driven one mustang that lasted about an hour. It was 66 hiperf 289/271HP but with drum brakes that almost caused me to wreck on a test drive.

Anyway.......

This could be one of our last chances to own a fast NA car, and when comparing my experience with the quality differences between my current SHO with my last few GM products, Ford wins the contest by a considerable margin.

Still, it is not in running with a ZO6, but I would put it ahead of any Mopar, Camaro, or as you have noted a base vette.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to ask, buy the Hellcat.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
The fact that you even have to ask leans me to say go for the other car. I mean talk about apples and oranges, Filet Mignon and Top Sirloin! Megan Fox and Rosie Odonnel.....I can go on forever lol. The Corvette is in a much higher league no matter if that other car comes with 1,000 HP. But hey get what you want.
I agree Apples and Oranges, but because one is a 2 seat sports car and the other is a 4 seat muscle car, certainly not because the Corvette is in a much higher league. What makes it a much higher league?

Get notified of new replies

To Have opportunity to get a Hellcat at MSRP, should I get it or wait for Z06 under MSRP

Old 11-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I agree with you on all aspects. I have only driven one mustang that lasted about an hour. It was 66 hiperf 289/271HP but with drum brakes that almost caused me to wreck on a test drive.

Anyway.......

This could be one of our last chances to own a fast NA car, and when comparing my experience with the quality differences between my current SHO with my last few GM products, Ford wins the contest by a considerable margin.

Still, it is not in running with a ZO6, but I would put it ahead of any Mopar, Camaro, or as you have noted a base vette.
I agree, but the price will tell the real story. This car is going to be insane, should smoke the M3 and anything else in the Sport Coupe category.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:26 PM
dio55
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
If you have to ask, buy the Hellcat.
Agreed.....What the hell does a hellcat have to do with a Z06 if he had said a Viper that would be fine but the Z06 is a finely tuned supercar and the Hellcat is a grocery getter with a big engine
Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

That's only your opinion. I think the C6 Z looks like an ugly outdated half-melted bar of soap.
But I have a little more class and respect than to go into the C6 sections and tell owners that, unlike you.
S.

Quick Reply: Have opportunity to get a Hellcat at MSRP, should I get it or wait for Z06 under MSRP