Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cost to drive an 01 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 AM
CSIXVET
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cost to drive an 01 Silverado?

Purchased the 01 new in 00, it has been used like a car, not a serious work truck.

After 178K miles, just added up the cost of repairs (not counting normal maintenance, tires, oil changes, etc).

To normally maintain the truck, does roughly $9K in repairs seem reasonable?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

$9000? That is high, no matter how you look at it. Our Lexus R400h after 9.5 years has cost us $250 for a water pump (@90,000 miles).
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What did you have to do to the truck? I had a '99 Silverado and when I traded it for a new '08, I don't think I had spent more than $600 in repairs. The truck had 68K miles on it when I traded it in. I bought one set of tires and replaced the shocks. Brake pads had 40% remaining and the rotors still looked new.

The normal maintenance costs were more than that as I used synthetic oil , I had one cooling system flush, one trans flush, one transfer case flush, and one diff fluid change.

So far, my '08 (has 56K miles on it now) has never had a repair that wasn't under warranty, and I have done all of my own oil changes. Had a cooling system flush done last summer.

Both trucks hauled car trailers and never had a problem relating to that type of use.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 AM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

9k in repairs.. OUCH.. BOHICA!!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9k is insane for repairs only. My 05 with 193,000 miles has had about $1200 in repairs. I had to get the gauge cluster repaired around 110,000 miles ($300), A transmission solenoid around 75,000 ($450) done at the dealership, replaced the steering rack at 170,000 miles ($300) and the EVAP filter at 185,000 miles ($80).

It has been used as a truck but it has been well maintained.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO $9000 is extremely high for a lightly used truck, purchased new. What on earth caused the bill to be that high? Did you lunch the transmission, have an engine failure, what?

This is not including tires, oil changes etc? Those are on top of the $9000 bill? Ouch, ouch, ouch.

It would be interesting if the OP will post a detailed list of his expenses, so we can get an idea of what went wrong.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:20 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

9k? What does that entail new engine/tranny?
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM
MGorman
Burning Brakes

Holy crap that seems high. What happened?

Not a direct correlation, but my 1992 Silverado at 216,000 miles was probably less than $1000 for repairs. And this was a serious work truck. Towed, hauled, plowed.

Water pump, alternator, power steering pump and lines, fuel pump and lines, brake caliper, brake hoses and lines, oil cooler line and coolant temperature sensor. Radio broke, but never repaired. I gave it to my parents, and since it's only needed an ignition switch $30. It's still going strong.

I currently have an 09 Silverado. At 53,000 miles total cost of repairs is about $40 for a tire pressure sensor. It was actually still under warranty when it went bad, but it was easier just to replace it myself.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:59 AM
CSIXVET
Racer

Default Analysis of expenses

After a close look at miles and dates, trouble free driving for first seven years or about 120K miles.

Then, in the last seven years, stuff wears out or goes bad, listing oldest to present;

Power streering pump, major engine tune up, front & rear rotors, transmission, mass air flow sensor, belts & tensioners, front hubs & bearings, tie rod ends, window regulators, radiator with hoses, starter with relay

Not counting tires, battery, oil/filter changes, etc.

Now, on the bright side, the engine runs great and the paint/interior looks like new, overall I'm happy.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CSIXVET

Power streering pump, major engine tune up, front & rear rotors, transmission, mass air flow sensor, belts & tensioners, front hubs & bearings, tie rod ends, window regulators, radiator with hoses, starter with relay

Now, on the bright side, the engine runs great and the paint/interior looks like new, overall I'm happy.
I Buy/Sell cars as a hobby and recently took a '99 NBS Silverado Z71 as a partial trade...

This truck had a folder of similar repairs and the prev. owner had spent about $7k on transfer case, trans, rear end, etc.

I also purchased a '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee from a friend who was moving out of the country - the folder of receipts totaled $13k in repairs, including radiator, air conditioning, trans, rear end, etc...

In both cases, the cost of the parts was roughly double what I typically pay wholesale using my accounts and labor rates were about $125/hr.

If you are paying people to work on older vehicles like this, it's tough to not spend $500 every time it goes in...
Old 11-29-2014, 01:55 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CSIXVET

Having a look at that list, I'm having a hard time adding it up to $9K, with tires, battery etc. on top of that. Ballpark I see is a few thousand at the most in parts. We are not talking Italian supercar parts here.

The only big ticket item I see is the transmission. Was it regularly maintained (filter and fluid changes)? Did it suffer a major failure after towing or???

I think you got ripped off in labor charges, so you should seriously re-consider your choice of mechanic. Also, at least several of those can be easily accomplished in your driveway, if you have at least basic mechanical aptitude. Do you have any mechanically-inclined friends who can help you?

Get notified of new replies

To Cost to drive an 01 Silverado?

Quick Reply: Cost to drive an 01 Silverado?