Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Supercharged Hellcat and C7Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Supercharged Hellcat and C7Z

The 707HP Hellcat has a 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty,and Dodge seems confident with this cars performance. To me GM doesn't seem confident with the C7Z. Not long ago Justin Bell took one of these Hellcats out on the track in extreme hot conditions and was just ripping it without any big heat soak problems,and no over heated auto transmission too. I just don't understand why GM wasn't able to accomplish this. They have more resources compared to Dodge.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:25 AM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 12-12-2014, 01:27 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

A pile of iron can't break. It won't errode in 5 years so I suppose it's cheap for Dodge to insure. It also can't perform. All you can do is slow down to snail pace to make a turn so clearly nothing other than the tires are taking a beating.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:29 AM
mgrenwic
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Pig with lipstick
Old 12-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Calling the Hellcat "a pig with lipstick" is an insult to pigs! What do you have against pigs? That's one ugly car! I'd take a mustang or camaro first!
Old 12-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
A pile of iron can't break. It won't errode in 5 years so I suppose it's cheap for Dodge to insure. It also can't perform. All you can do is slow down to snail pace to make a turn so clearly nothing other than the tires are taking a beating.
But Dodge doesn't tell their Hellcat customers that the car has a conservative ECU programming ,and if you want more power go to an aftermarket tuner etc.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by mgrenwic
Pig with lipstick
Go to the 5 minute mark on that video. That pig can fly in the hot desert.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:44 AM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Great motor, to bad they don't have car to put into that has a decent chassis and isn't a giant whale.

Last edited by blipit_; 12-12-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
But Dodge doesn't tell their Hellcat customers that the car has a conservative ECU programming ,and if you want more power go to an aftermarket tuner etc.
I hate to disappoint you but every 2015 car will pull timing at one point or another. All of them are tuned conservatively and all of them can make more power tuned.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:26 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blipit_
Great motor, to bad they don't have car to put into that has a decent chassis and isn't a giant whale.
The engine is a whale, the chassis reflects it.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:48 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The engine is a whale, the chassis reflects it.
How much Kool-Aid do you consume in a day? 5 gals, 10 gals, 20 gals?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
, that is a very nice , very fast car, it has both air to air and air to water intercoolers on that motor and was tested by dodge in 100 degree weather , the blower is also a tad bigger than the ZR1 blower, at speed it's going to beat the Z as well, if it doesn't it will after the 3rd race, it doesn't heat soak as fast as the z, it's just fact, SRT did ther homework with the intercooling.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 12-12-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:49 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
The 707HP Hellcat has a 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty,and Dodge seems confident with this cars performance. To me GM doesn't seem confident with the C7Z. Not long ago Justin Bell took one of these Hellcats out on the track in extreme hot conditions and was just ripping it without any big heat soak problems,and no over heated auto transmission too. I just don't understand why GM wasn't able to accomplish this. They have more resources compared to Dodge.

See post #12
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 AM
pincushin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry for 80k this car is not worth it to me, I had high hopes to trade in my 14 C7 for a bad a$$ Z but it does not live up to the hype. The hellcat is a way better bang for the buck for what I use a car for. The hellcat may be bigger, heavier & not as sleek but it's faster, 4 seats, more room, 15k less fully loaded & just has raw power with a killer warranty. As far as looks it's a muscle car that performs with supercars in a straight line that 85% of people will really be using there car for. We can all agree that the Z might kill in the curves but 90% of people can't & won't even drive the car to its full potential & the ones that really can drive the car the way it was made for will only be able to enjoy the car for a few laps. This is not to start a fight or a great debate this is my own personal opinion off the data I have seen over the last few weeks. If you buy or have a new Z you will have one of the baddest rides on the road but don't be upset when pigs fly.

Last edited by pincushin; 12-12-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Here's an excerpt from a buddy of mine. He and another friend that instruct at Summit Point were invited to take some journalists out in the new Hellcat. This car is the real deal. Don't be a fanboi-face the reality that with the proper electronics-even a pig can fly.

The Charger Hellcat is indeed the world's most powerful sedan, and the M5 crowd has good reason to think twice before flexing at stoplights. How come? It'll do the quarter in 11 seconds flat on street rubber (drag radials should put it into the 10s, just like the Challenger). 0–60 takes just 3.7 ticks. Top speed? 204 mph.

Quote from a different article: "may be the best automatic transmission on Earth."

My take away: It weighs 4560 lbs. and. you. don't. care. !!

This a real hot rod. The acceleration always had me and my journalist drivers laughing out loud it was so unreal. When the computer is set in Track mode, the shifts are hard and the computer does all of the up and down shifting for you. with rev matching. Put it in Drive and just drive. You don't event think about it after a few laps. Always in the right gear, always.

The breaks are very good. We had some rain on Wed and after the line was somewhat dry, we would get the car pointed straight and stand on the gas going down the main straight. The traction control system took over and never put the car sideways. It clunked and made loud noises, but the car never let on that it was saving you from a wild sideways ride. Amazing.

They were completely drivable in the dry and in the rain. Predicable, accurate turn in, firm braking, etc.

AND . . the ACCLLERATION was awesome, still puling at 145+ on the main straight. Before the 5 marker. No drama.

It should be called Dodge-zilla!!

Now... you can see that I feel like Linus and the Great Pumpkin. It is real, I saw them, I drove them and they are not that bad looing. !!

. . . . And no one is going to believe me.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:40 AM
clwood
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Even if the Hellcat had zero heat soak, the tires would be history after a lap or two. It may be fast in a straight line but damn its a pig on that video.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Cold engine, or hot with some heat soak, what's the difference when either way it will spin those skinny rear tires. The only way to know if a bit of power is being pulled is with measurements, not seat of the pants driving. I'm sure the Hellcat tune is as conservative as the others, they sure don't want them blowing up all over the place.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged Hellcat and C7Z

Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Yes but can it go around corners? Why does everyone keep saying there is a heat soak problem when that has never been proven??
Old 12-12-2014, 10:00 AM
pincushin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
Yes but can it go around corners? Why does everyone keep saying there is a heat soak problem when that has never been proven??
It's not really a heat soak issue more or less it's a tune from GM that pulls timing from the car to make it live up to its warranty. It's well documented that the car has this issue if you want to call it that but on the other hand you can look at the glass half full as a safety net. The hellcat is detuned as well but the car is not pulling timing & losing a lot of rwhp, in fact if you really do your research the car made over 825hp before emissions stepped in. So the hellcat is capable of making over 750 rwhp with nothing but a tune. But I don't wont to void my warranty for either car as it will be my DD, so a simple tire change would be much better for me then a after market tune.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:07 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

I'd say 20!!...........such hate for another awesome car I just don't get it!!..usually hate like that is a direct affect of fear or intimidation!!....

Quick Reply: Supercharged Hellcat and C7Z