Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Is the Z/28 Camaro considered a failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 PM
mrstage1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Z/28 Camaro considered a failure?

I titled this as a question to make people think.

Why? Because according to several posters on here the Z06 is a failure because it's tune is allowing to be beaten IN A STRAIGHT line by some very serious competition.

However, I am curious how a car is a failure when we have seen no head to heads quantifying its most important performance metric against other cars. Handling and road course times. The Z/28, even at a stout 75k(for a Camaro) is praised far and wide among enthusiasts and the press as being one of the greats, yet in a straight line it's only so-so. Why is it that the Vette is getting skewered BEFORE we see if it can do what its mission in life is yet the Camaro hasn't been.

Just wondering.

PS: Chevrolet NEVER said this car was a drag strip king so although I wish it was beating the cars it's lost to in vids already, right outta the box bone stock, I will not fault GM since they never advertised it would. I am waiting for the track comparos to base any judgment since GM DID say THIS area is where it will rule. I am not gonna speculate on the pulled timing tune causing it to lose to xxx. I will let the emipirical rsults be my guide. If it goes head to head with a Viper, 911, GTR etc and smokes em' then mission accomplished GM in my book. They said it would and it did. If not, THEN I will have to call a spade a spade.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:44 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

As far as sales... Yes talked to a dealer who is alloted 2 more z28 for 2015 and does not want to order them if they dont have to as they simply do not move.... he still had a 2014 deeply discounted and still no bites. Simply priced too high and close to the z06 for the average camaro buyer. Also can get a nicely loaded stingray for cheaper.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Everyone wants to point to something being "the issue". Every performance car has a conservative tune. This is not exclusive the the new Z. It is not an "issue" with the new Z. This is standard practice.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

The way Gm made it sound like it was going to be a killer. Sure maybe on a track but most people wont be able to run it's full potential so again its like mehh. What "the average joe" knows is how much hp does it have and how fast can it go. Losing to a Viper good and being slower then a ZR1 and only as fast as t's out outgoing 8 year old brother doesn't sit well with most. then you have a 4 door charger that will pull it from a roll then you have Challenger that may pull it from a roll 2 cars that aren't even in the same class make you raise a eyebrow. this isn't killing the competition. its barely keeping up...GM marketing was genius though hook line and sinker. it the z06 a awesome car? For sure but it wasn't the second coming of Jesus like GM was making it out to be.. ame with the Camaro they just decided to milk one mopre year out of the ls7 before the Camaro gets a change over so why not cash in on it..I know a lot of guys will say yeah but take it around a corner..Sure tell that to the guy in the 4 door you just lost to and watch him laugh.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:50 PM
mrstage1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dvandentop
As far as sales... Yes talked to a dealer who is alloted 2 more z28 for 2015 and does not want to order them if they dont have to as they simply do not move.... he still had a 2014 deeply discounted and still no bites. Simply priced too high and close to the z06 for the average camaro buyer. Also can get a nicely loaded stingray for cheaper.
I'm not talking sales. Lots of great cars dont sell well. I am talking critical success. Critics, reviewers, journalists and enthusiasts acknowledge the Z/28 as an incredible car.

I am wondering why the Z06 isn't afforded the same courtesy. I actually believe it makes the early posters deriding the car look foolish since we haven't seen if it can "beat" those cars it's losing to in the area it was supposedly focused on.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstage1
I'm not talking sales. Lots of great cars dont sell well. I am talking critical success.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Funny you ask this! I got a call from my local stealership this morning asking me to trade in my 2013 GS (only 3K miles) for the overpriced Z/28 car. I asked him what was the sale price and he started in with a "We're selling them at sticker - no markup."

I said.........."NOT!"
Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm not talking sales. Lots of great cars dont sell well. I am talking critical success. Critics, reviewers, journalists and enthusiasts acknowledge the Z/28 as an incredible car.

I am wondering why the Z06 isn't afforded the same courtesy. I actually believe it makes the early posters deriding the car look foolish since we haven't seen if it can "beat" those cars it's losing to in the area it was supposedly focused on.
I believe that the Z28 is considered an "incredible' car as it clearly bested all other versions of the Camaro and other cars in it's class. GM gave us the numbers at the Ring to prove it's capabilities.

Has GM given us the numbers at the Ring to prove the C7 Z06 is "incredible" vs it's predecessors and any other cars in it's class?

How do you compare a car to any others, if you don't have any thing to compare?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:08 PM
mrstage1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JoesC5

How do you compare a car to any others, if you don't have any thing to compare?
Precisely my point. So how can it be called a failure without the comparisons on the track?

And Joe, the ZL1 camaro beats the Z/28 in a drag race btw
Old 12-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Precisely my point. So how can it be called a failure without the comparisons on the track?

Yes, the ZL1 is faster........and cheaper...........

As for the new Z - I expect we will see a lot of paid touters in the very near future due to all of the flack that GM is getting right now. They have already released a memo stating that owners need to let the car break-in. Too funny!
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the criteria for the Z 28 is a track ready car that you can buy at a dealer, I don't see how it can be judged as anything but a successful design.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:24 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

I am in no way saying the Z06 is a failure, but your comparison is weak. There were very little straight line expectations for the Z/28. It only has 505 hp and weighs ~3900 lb. Everyone knew ahead of time that it was going to be "slow" in a straight line. The ZL1 was the faster straight line Camaro.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I specially mentioned the Ring as that on the road course, not the drag strip, is where the Z/28 is "incredible". That's what the Z/28 was designed for.

The Z06 was also designed for the road courses, but where are the numbers from running at the Ring(like we have from GM for the Z/28, and the C6 Z06, and the C6 ZR1)?

GM has given us the "drag strip" numbers for the Z06, and they don't seem to be "incredible" compared to the predecessor ZR1 or the "weak" C6 Z06.

So far GM hasn't shown us that the "numbers"(not released so we can compare them) for the Ring or at a drag strip are indeed "incredible", so why should the Z06 be declared "incredible"?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:40 PM
mrstage1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I specially mentioned the Ring as that on the road course, not the drag strip, is where the Z/28 is "incredible". That's what the Z/28 was designed for.

The Z06 was also designed for the road courses, but where are the numbers from running at the Ring(like we have from GM for the Z/28, and the C6 Z06, and the C6 ZR1)?

GM has given us the "drag strip" numbers for the Z06, and they don't seem to be "incredible" compared to the predecessor ZR1 or the "weak" C6 Z06.

So far GM hasn't shown us that the "numbers"(not released so we can compare them) for the Ring or at a drag strip are indeed "incredible", so why should the Z06 be declared "incredible"?
It shouldnt be declared ANYTHING until we see ALL the performance metrics. Either released ring numbers(not so concerned about those) or head to head, same day shootouts(more important to me).

THATS the point.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Zerski
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
It's not a failure. Great car but I agree with this. Too much money for people to justify spending on a Camaro.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:28 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

The problem with the Z/28 is only the price. You could almost build a better Camaro if you got the cheap V6, bought a crate motor, coilovers, wheels/tires and race seats and steel BBK for less. What else am I missing? How different is the gearbox?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

I love the Z/28 and would love to own one. I think from a performance POV, its awesome. I also think its too costly. $75K? no. $60K? Hell yes!

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Z/28 Camaro considered a failure?

Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Its a fantastic TRACK car. This is a car for the hardcore track rats. If you are a, "cars and coffee" dude then this is not your car.

For its main purpose, its a fantastic car.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:35 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by heavychevy
The problem with the Z/28 is only the price. You could almost build a better Camaro if you got the cheap V6, bought a crate motor, coilovers, wheels/tires and race seats and steel BBK for less. What else am I missing? How different is the gearbox?
For starters the CCBS...
Old 12-15-2014, 04:42 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
For starters the CCBS...
OK, you win! I completely give up on this "C7 Z06" forum with these posts! A BMW "M" Avatar? Z-28 subject and discussions. All this negativity from non-C7 Z06 owners? What is the point? I'm out!

Quick Reply: Is the Z/28 Camaro considered a failure?