Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2016 Cadillac CTS-V will use the LT4 from the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I hope this time they build a car thats fast for at least three back to back runs.You guys make me laugh saying how fast it will be when the c7 z06 still can beat an older c6 version.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is pretty impressive. I wonder if it can also get AWD. If it did, nothing would stop this car, it would destroy the competition in its segment.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
I sold my CTS-V due to the absolutely horrific auto-transmission and the atrocious gas mileage. I loved everything else about the car; the steering and magnetic suspension were magical.

If you want to play with the big dogs (M5/M6, E63, etc) GM has to hurry up their dual-clutch development. You can't show up to that gunfight with yesterday's technology A8 and it's dog-slow manual shifts.

Here is an absolutely perfect example of why you can't put these transmissions into sporty/sports cars:

SKIP to 8min 55 seconds (this forum won't let me embed links to youtube to exact time)
Review: 2015 Corvette Stingray w/ 8-Speed Automatic - YouTube
That's actually true.

What's interesting is though, GM used "we don't have the space to put the dual clutch transmission" in C7, but I wonder why they won't do it in the Cadillac?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Zentraedi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The weight is impressive, thats a full 430lbs lighter than the charger hellcat and ~200 less than the E63 & M5. We praised the speed of C7Z06 before its release, wont do the same here. I just hope the A8 doesn't have two overdrive gears, will wait for the results.

All the DCT talk regarding the space issues are just excuses. They can develop something that fits, it requires a lot of money which they did not want to dish out at the time. They are probably slowly developing one and have been for sometime.

Last edited by Zentraedi; 12-22-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by Zentraedi
The weight is impressive, thats a full 430lbs lighter than the charger hellcat and ~200 less than the E63 & M5.
Wow, that is impressive! If it's 200 lbs lighter than my M5 and makes 65hp more, this thing is going to trap 124! Holy crap!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

But, but...the CTS-V was supposed to be getting a twin-turbo. The same engine that's going in the future ZR1.
S.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
That's actually true.

What's interesting is though, GM used "we don't have the space to put the dual clutch transmission" in C7, but I wonder why they won't do it in the Cadillac?

They won't do it because the have the superior A8!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

fail on no manual tranny option being optioned. i got the last 2 v generations but will be bypassing this one.

looks like ats-v will be for the more serious car enthusiast then this by offering a manual

still has a small *** fuel tank will require fill ups around every 250 miles which was another big pain on the v2

Last edited by dvandentop; 12-22-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I agree. No manual no buy. Looks like the ATS-V will be the one when I'm ready for another 4 seater.

Also note that they don't say LT4 anywhere so I would expect them to do something like they did with the LSA where it was slightly detuned and with slightly lesser components.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:23 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Snorman
But, but...the CTS-V was supposed to be getting a twin-turbo. The same engine that's going in the future ZR1.
S.
Exactly. That press release confirmed my already solid suspicions of no "ZR1".
Old 12-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
S.
You really think GM isn't going to have a C7 ZR1? You do understand the life cycle of this generation is supposed to extend into AT LEAST 2018, right?

The Z06 is not going to be the big dog Corvette of this generation.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker
201 MPH top speed!!
How could that happen while the C7Z is limited by 185-196 mph with less weight and extra 10/20 hp/lb-ft.
BIG fail Chevrolet!
The drag of the level 3 aero pieces reduces the top speed of Z07 models. It was reported somewhere that the cleaner base C7 Z06 is capable of 195 mph but now I can't find it. The wide tires don't help aero either. If they were to offer the LT4 in the cleaner Stingray body with no spoiler it would blow all 4 doors off that Caddy
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
The last go-round for the CTS-V, the LS9 was changed when it was put in the Caddy, no forged pistons, smaller camshaft, etc, for the LS-A.

I'm sure it'll be a bit milder for the next Caddy, just for Vette bragging rights, if nothing else.
But considering the lt4 is already no forged pistons, no fancy TI parts, etc I bet it is just the tune, or the intake/exhaust requirements, or they just did it on purpose to keep power a little lower than the vette. Wouldn't surprise me if the actual motor was identical, and just some of the bolt on parts like exhaust manifolds or intake are different and the reason for 10 less hp.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

GM.....AWD please. All it will do is smoke tires unless on a prepped surface.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:38 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
But considering the lt4 is already no forged pistons, no fancy TI parts, etc I bet it is just the tune, or the intake/exhaust requirements, or they just did it on purpose to keep power a little lower than the vette. Wouldn't surprise me if the actual motor was identical, and just some of the bolt on parts like exhaust manifolds or intake are different and the reason for 10 less hp.
I would tend to agree with your thinking. I recall the 1967 Impala getting a 427 that was identical to the vette's base 427. But, instead of the Impala version was rated at 385hp instead of the vette's 390hp...supposedly because the exhaust was different and more restrictive on the Impala. I think GM did not want the same HP rating on the Impala as the vette. Yeah, I know that was a long time ago, but I still think GM wants the vette to have the highest rated HP engines.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Denstoy968
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine if the CTS-V pulled on the C7Z on highway roll! It could happen 😜
Old 12-22-2014, 12:11 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Here is a MotorTrend article about the car:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._v_first_look/

Originally Posted by Omega Man
I think it is kind of lazy on GM's part. Not real difficult to pull an engine from one and plop it in the CTS-V.
One of the secrets to keeping costs down on Vettes.
Besides, every big Manufacturer does this now.

Originally Posted by shayneusmc
The downforce
This.

Originally Posted by Shurshot
One more thing, the added downforce (think drag) is causing temperatures to rise faster than the Z would without all the extra downforce.
"Downforce" and "drag" are two different things.

Downforce is the amount of force pushing a car down onto the driving surface (squishing it, if you will).
This improves grip and cornering stability and speeds thru turns.

Drag is the amount of "slippery-ness" the vehicle has while moving thru air.
In other words, the resistance of the car to moving thru the atmosphere.

The real question is, how will the CTSV stack up against the Hellcat?
The 300 lb. weight difference will be interesting to see.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Cadillac CTS-V will use the LT4 from the Z06

Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
fail on no manual tranny option being optioned. i got the last 2 v generations but will be bypassing this one.
Don't understand why anyone would want a manual in a Caddy, but whatever....

still has a small *** fuel tank will require fill ups around every 250 miles which was another big pain on the v2
LOL, seems like I am always on the way to or from a gas station in my Coupe.

Originally Posted by Unreal
No way any GM vehicle is going to have more power than the top-of-line Corvette.
I think it's written in granite somewhere....

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
All it will do is smoke tires unless on a prepped surface.
Huh???
Plenty of guys have modded the current gen of Vs to extremely high power numbers.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:02 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Cool sedan with a cool 200 mph top speed. Should have had AWD for market penetration....
I've always loved RWD and still do, but sitting at a light this past weekend in my '12 CTS-V daily driver and nailing the gas from the stop, the rear tires spun, T/C kicked in, it fell on it's face for a half-second and then took off, managing power. After that, I was thinking about how fun it would be to have one of the new AWD E63 Benz's cars. Twin turbo V8, 577hp or so, AWD for under 3.5 rocket launches from the light, every single time.

In short, I wouldn't mind an AWD V for a daily driver. I'll keep my weekend/track day Vette as RWD though, thank you very much.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:14 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
You really think GM isn't going to have a C7 ZR1? You do understand the life cycle of this generation is supposed to extend into AT LEAST 2018, right?

The Z06 is not going to be the big dog Corvette of this generation.
No crap. I've said it a hundred times and I'll still bet anyone a thousand bucks that GM WILL have a superior model to the Z06 during the C7 lifecycle. It's all but a guarantee.

However, very few people thought the CTS-V would get anything other than a slightly detuned derivative of the LT4. The twin turbo V8 mill will go in a flagship Cadillac in a few years and it may POSSIBLY be offered as an engine upgrade in the V3 mid-cycle as a Super V or some other weird naming convention. That said 640hp is more than sufficient for a CTS-V when it's competition is still in the mid to upper 500 range.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CTS-V will use the LT4 from the Z06